Does anyone else get a little frustrated with Heavy Assault?

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by Orpheus66, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Plastikfrosch

Ok, i read a lot of HAs are op threats in the last weeks. I myself prefer stalkers, engys or LA and yes, it can be a pain to get confronted with HA (the best class for me to counter them is LA because the surprise effect is better than with the infiltrators because the cloak is to loud and they are still to easy to see). If there are too many HAs i switch to HA myself to get rid of them.
    But here a suggestion: All other classes whine - " the HAs are too strong", and the HAs counter-whine: "our shields are limited by time". so --> make the normal shield and the adrenalin shield only 400hp but therefore without any time limitations. If HAs want to run around 25% slower and shiny as hell, why not? So the HAs wont lose shield HP over time but they wont be to op in a direct fight because it wont matter to much if i miss 1 or 2 shots to the head. The resistshield is fine as it is because the fast reloadspeed and the amount of energy that gets lost over time are balanced i think.

And the good thing for me and people thinking like me: if i press "whats new" in this forum i will not find "HAs are op snif snif" posts again.
  2. Liewec123

i have more problems with LA than HA,
    turing a corner and blasting someone in the face/side/back is natural and it only takes a few more bullets to kill a HA,
    but turning the corner and getting shot at from above catches me off guard,
    i also seem to do better playing the same on my LA, fly around corners with my shotgun rather than on the ground.
    • Up x 1
  3. UltimaRecon

I remember the announcement, I liked the idea of it, even a half a second rev up time would have been nice simply because it could still be used while being the instigator, but wouldn't be so effective at turning a fight around when someone gets the drop on you.
  4. Khallixtus

Another thread about HAs being OP because they are supposedly OP.

First, try to not confront them head-on, which is what most complainers do, go straight up 1v1 with HA and complain that they got owned.

Second, use your class and weapon advantages. HAs dont have Carbines, and LAs can fly up above them. People rarely look up until they are being shot at, by which time reaction speed and looking time is long enough for the HA to be put low enough to easily kill. Medics and Engies are support classes, if you go start shooting at a HA, expect to lose. SMG Infs can beat heavies easy enough as well, just dont show yourself infront of them, go up behind, and blast them. People dont have the reaction times and spin times to convert it into a win.

Dont complain about something being OP because you did what it wanted you to do.
  5. Crowne

I feel the same way. It would appear some changes were planned for the Heavy Assault class, but apparently a number of Heavies who consider themselves "the community" got upset enough that the devs decided making the change was more trouble than worth.

It's unfortunate. Every other class has changes made to it over time, often to the peril of said class, but since none of those classes are as effective in carrying those who can't compete otherwise, there isn't as much irrational vitriol when those changes are made and so they can go through.

As it appears for the moment, you are right. Nothing about HA is going to change, because the damage is done and too many people can't get from A to B without it.

Planetside 2 is still unique and great, but they've invited a sub-community with the current HA mechanic that won't let the property evolve. Time will tell what Daybreak wants to do. If they cater to the lowest common denominator, I hope it makes them oodles of money. Mine won't be part of it, but such is life.
    • Up x 2
  6. Crowne

The OP was not talking about 1v1 situations. The only people worried about 1v1 situations are the heavies afraid they might start losing those if any changes are made.

Pointing out a gameplay problem resulting from a poorly implemented mechanic is not complaining, it's trying to improve the health of the game overall.
    Resisting any change at all cost just to maintain a 1v1 advantage? Well that's just sad, but if it makes Daybreak a lot of money, I'll support it in spirit and find a more suitable game.

No sense walking away before exhausting all possibilities for improvement, making sure those who presumably actually make the decisions are well aware what effect their decisions are having on the game they are developing.
  7. Mazdam

Im so tired of these criers, they choose classes and dont use their strenghs, they just chose a LA and pretend to have the equal strengh of a HA + jumpjets. NO, just NO! u choose a LA, u have to play with his powers, flying, ambush... dont pretend to go toe to toe to a HA.

nerf HA shield and noone will play it, why play it? that is his power..

When i play infil or LA i dont try to outpower HA, i use my powers and ambush em. L2p NOOBS.
  8. TheKhopesh

Those who main Heavy are generally just stat padders and crutch players.
    Not all, but it's a disappointing sight to see the AV class being used for rocket primary cheese because the player can't do anything but round a corner with an instagib weapon and sucker punch someone from range.
    It really speaks as to a player's skill when they can't kill you without an I win button and an instakill rocket launcher when they're fighting a medic or an infiltrator.
    (Especially fighting stalker infils. It's truly pathetic when the only way you can kill a stalker infil is with a rocket primary.)

(Note how I play HA as it was intended. Having aurax on the only launchers available to NC that don't instagib infantry, but still can be used to counter maxes. And though I do have aurax on the Jackhammer, that's because I use it to counter infantry farming cheese heavies and it's an effective followup against maxes. There are actually lots of LMG's that are effective against maxes. Most are accuracy weapons rather than infantry farmer weapons though.)
  9. Reyj21

In my opinion the Heay Assault is overpowered.

It is mainly because the damage absorbing shield gives you a major advantage over all other classes.
    Just a few minutes ago I shot a whole magazine into a HA and I was only able to watch as he first panicked, then finally found me and shot me as I reloaded.

Since that is a totally normal class as which you can spawn over and over again, it is totally overpowered.

I generally dislike the rock-paper-scissors-chucknorris balance in this game.
    It really ruins the fun, otherwise I would have bought a whole bunch of camos, helmets and what not, but I don't really want to pay for a game that is so frustrating, that I feel like rage-quitting after just a couple gunfights. When's the last rage-quit? The rest of the game is such a good idea and I can overlook a lot of issues, but frustrating gameplay really destroys it for me.
  10. Plastikfrosch

1. Im stalker most of the time and atm engy or LA because im on my way to the eclipse but if there are too many enemys (and especially too many heavys) i take my heavy too.
    I often enough killed heavys with my beamer-stalker by ambushing them and way more easyer with a carbine (especially the LA).
    And even while playing my engy i killed enough heavys, not so often in cqc but in mid- to long range because most carbines are more acurate than the lmgs.
    2. you cant complain about someone instagibbing someone else with a launcher while using a "skillhammer" the same way, because every vanu/TR (regardless of the class) hates the jackhammer nearly as much as the double-shotgun-max (because you can run into a Vanu/TR-max, turn around and run zickzack away while running into a NC max is "oh-sh-scatter-scatter-instadeath").
    And if you say you only use it to counter other heavys i cant believe that you got aurax only because of said heavys.
  11. Reyj21

Great you kill a HA every once in a while during your lengthy long-range camping sessions.
    Fight them close-quarters for once and you'll rage-quit.
  12. TheKhopesh

My point here was that I only use blatantly cheesy tactics to beat those who otherwise are good enough that they are not easily beaten without facing them on equal ground.
    Trust my, on Connery many of the very experienced players only care about K/D, and will do whatever low-to-no skill tactics it takes to get said K/D as high as they can manage.
    As well, the experienced players are constantly sharing helpful tips for new players via proximity chat, /orders, etc. to ensure those around them spot and kill flankers (and when I play TR/VS, I find the friendlies do a wonderful job of this. On NC though, it's more hit-or-miss than when I play TR/VS, though I do try to help out when I can on this front).
    This means while it's not impossible to flank with a light assault or stalker, you're generally plastered with q-spots, small arms fire, and detection darts after the first kill or two.

Lastly, I don't know how much this happens on other servers, but the VS are very prone to using orders chat and prox chat for yelling out to the general masses on VS to go either HA or max suit, making it miserable to fight them simply because everyone and their mother has either a max or a HA overshield.
    This often will reduce a fight to "Go heavy or go home".
    As if you don't have a HA shield, you kill one guy and there's no way to defeat another HA in what ammo you have left unless he either never pops his shield, or you have a +60% accuracy rating on automatic weapons (Which is the top 2-3% of players for acc. rating world wide).

So you're either one of the best twitch players in the game, or you're virtually only ever going to trade kills with those you see.
    And granted, fairly often you will come across someone with significantly less skill and no one near by to come around and avenge them, but for the most part the constant stream of HA's makes game play heavily biased against non-HA and non-max classes.

I personally don't feel this is in the game's best interest.
    It would be a whole lot more balanced to have HA's depend on their LMG's (Which are virtually 50-100 round per mag Assault Rifles with several hundred rounds in reserve!) for their front line battle prowess.
    They've still got many times more sustainable fire power than the rest of the infantry classes (And thus being able to drop considerably more targets before needing to reload), but they don't have easy mode buttons for 1v1's or any non-HA infantry conflict any more.

And they still keep 100% of their current anti-max and AA/AV strength if the HA shield only blocked flak damage, max suit arm weapon damage, and vehicle weapon damage.
    But for small arms like primary and sidearm weaponry, the HA shield only does more harm than good to the game play as a whole with it defending against these.
    (Heck, even if HA's had a built in rank 2-3 advanced shield capacitor I would be fine with it, but the ability to negate damage up front from infantry small arms is begging for the trouble that we're seeing. Floods of HA's and no skill tactics.)

And the change I propose for the HA shield wouldn't even make the shields obsolete as many claim.
    For the NMG shield, it's a simple "up/down, repeat".
    It takes damage, you let it recharge and get back to it.
    No change other than how it's used (obviously against vehicles and maxes only).

For the resist shield, this still combines well with a medic backing you up for healing and possibly combining the shield with the medic shield regen device.

If you're fighting a vehicle as an HA, they often have infantry running around them.
    For the adren shield, killing an infantry or two with your primary while waiting for your shield to regen from your last encounter with the enemy vehicle will allow you to get back out in the fight quicker.

All are still perfectly viable with their own niche circumstance.
    You just no longer have an infantry vs infantry I win shield.
    • Up x 1
  13. iSpank

admit it, you suck at this game.
  14. Reyj21

Obvious troll is obvious.
  15. Endlave

I like how people are like "Just ambush heavies as LA." when in practice, not even that works. Shoot at a heavy, you die. That's simply it. Unless he is already hurt, you will just empty your magazine on him, he will panic for a bit, hit his instaWin button and then kill you if you won't manage to scram away in time.

It goes as far as to force me to ignore heavies when I ambush them and hope I can get some engineers or medics instead, without them noticing me. It's further frustrating when you fight VS and all you see are heavies. It's obvious something must have gone wrong when an entire platoon only plays one class. Sad, too.
  16. Vivicector

HA are heavily overpowered. LMGs are great (don't even try to deny this). Shields give a lot of HP advantage. Conc grenades are extremely good. Also, HA gets rocket launchers to spice up things.

I was playing a lot as HA in the previous times. Main point is: other classes have to think, create strategies how to counter HA. HA doesn't need anything, he has shield. The most mindless class ever. However, real problems start when HA is playing smart too (hey, he has same movespeed as any other class!). So, a flanking LA suddenly meets enemy HA in the building! LOL, LA is dead. HA flanks a group of infantry: they are dead, since HA has a lot of ammo in his mag.

I want HA to be a smart class too. The fix is simple: 3 seconds ramp up time for overshield. So, if you know that there will be enemy behind that corner, you activate shield and go there. If you get jumped on - you are screwed as any other class would be.
  17. Viztorgath

Am I mistaken that the TTK on heavy weapons is longer than the TTK for LA/medic/engie weapons? Every time I pull an engineer load out and find myself in infantry combat I mow people down in what seems like half the time(it helps that the non-heavy weapons dont have the vertical recoil my flare does making headshots easier). The only downside is if someone gets the jump on you, you die before you have a chance to turn :(

Point is without a shield I am pretty sure heavies would be screwed. Does not matter if you have 150 bullets in your mag if you dont have the ability to live long enough to use them.