Do You Think Heavy Weapons Will Be Revamped Soon?

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by Ibuprofen, May 26, 2013.

1. Ibuprofen

I'm probably overreaching here, but the revamp of the MBT secondaries seems like an attempt to bring old ES weapons up to the level that they see the ESRLs as being at. Granted, it could be mainly because of the Harasser, but I think both factors probably contributed.

What's the next most iconic set of pre-ESRL, empire specific weapons? The heavy weapons.

So, if they do end up being changed in the near future, and the new versions could be as different from the old as the MBT AV secondaries, what kind of changes would you like to see?

Alternatively, do you feel like the heavy weapons are already at, or very close to, the same level of quality/power/flavor/usefulness/uniqueness as the ESRLs?
    • Up x 1
  2. Messaiga

They just need to fix all 3 in general, because they are all terrible because of certain aspects such as.......
    • The Lasher's horrible velocity
    • The Mini-Chaingun's spin up time before firing
    • The Jackhammer just being worse than all shotguns in general because it does less damage per pellet, same clip size, similar reload speed to Mauler. Only thing it does better is range, which does not do it justice.
    • Up x 2
  3. namd3

They recently made changes to all 3.
    I'd just wish they remove the need weapons to be so Niche, seriously i have 3 load out slots, don't make me spend time doing load outs when i want to be killing ****
  4. huller

they better make the T7 mini chaingun underslung.
    • Up x 4
  5. hansgrosse

The way the MCG is now is very reminiscent of Doomguy's chaingun, which makes it badass by default in my book.

I vote keep it as-is.

[IMG]
  6. Mekhazzio

Heh. If they "buff" the Lasher like they "buffed" the Saron, we'll wind up with a charge-up shotgun that caps out around Beamer level damage, but utterly demolishes low-flying Liberators or some such bizarre nonsense.
  7. Tekuila

Can't give this enough thumbs up.
    • Up x 1
  8. iRhuel

Would be nice of the Lasher actually lashed things instead of being a mini ppa.

T7 is technically the most effective of the 3, but is little better than an LMG with spinup.

Significantly increasing the JH's mag cap to make it a true heavy weapon would go a long ways I think, and complement its high refire but lower damage. I'm thinking 9-12 default instead of 6, with extended mags adding 6.
  9. Messaiga

I think that would sound appropriate for the Jackhammer. I don't quite know how the Lasher was in PS1 so I can't put any input on how "Lashing" would work. As for T7 I thought they fixed the spin-up and made it so it fires instantly but it has to spin up to maximum ROF for about a quarter to half of a second. All I know is Lasher needs to have much higher projectile velocity, something like 400 meters/second.
  10. iRhuel

"lashing" refers to residual damage for near misses. Here's the description from PS1:

"The Lasher is the Heavy Assault weapon of the Vanu Sovereignty. It quickly fires energy orbs which do significant damage on contact, as well as "Lashing" (When an orb brushes by the target) nearby enemy targets for minor damage. The orbs travel fairly quickly (as of patch 3.15.29) but suffer fromdamage degradation at longer ranges. Enemies closer than 5 meters from the shooter will not be lashed by near misses. Friendly units are immune to the lash effect at all ranges, though they will still take damage upon direct hits. The near miss lash does low damage on its own and is best used for discovering cloakers and making the enemy's COF bloom from the damage. However, it is still strong enough to make many enemies retreat if they are hiding behind a wall and is especially effective in groups of users."

So while direct damage on the lasher is supposed to be mediocre, adding the lashing mechanic would actually enhance its suppressing role.

Also I own all three, so I can tell you that the T7 still does not fire during spinup.
  11. Noktdaz

Having it "lash" would fix the problem of it being totally useless when firing uphill/upwards.
  12. RasFW

They had better NEVER touch my lasher. Not even a little bit. I love it the way it is.
  13. RasFW

Have you tried aiming? I consistently pick people off the top of mountains/buildings and knock light assaults out of the air with it. Its a phenomenal weapon.
  14. Noktdaz

So you're telling me you have no problems hitting moving people at elevated positions?
  15. RasFW

Yes, that's exactly what I'm telling you.
    • Up x 1
  16. Noktdaz

So, you don't want it to lash?
  17. RasFW

I feel that would make it overpowered and put it on the fast track to "being balanced with lash", or in other words... Certain death.

Could be a separate gun that had lash, though. No splash, only lash. I'm fine with that.
  18. Ibuprofen

First off, that's basically a flamethrower with stupidly long range, and I just can't see that as being anything but stupidly weak, or pretty OP, and either way it would be annoying.

Secondly, the weapon has a muzzle velocity of 100m/s. Shotguns only go as low as 255m/s, and every other weapon class has 300+. Now, I'm not saying that you don't manage to hit people with the level of accuracy you claim, but I feel like very, very few players are as skilled at leading a target as you must be to pull that off, and I don't feel like it's reasonable to balance a weapon around the kind of skill that maybe the top 3-4% of players possess.
  19. Mekhazzio

If you're going solely for direct damage, the Lasher is unquestionably one of the worst small arms in the entire game for the purpose. Sure, you CAN do it, but you'd be better off using your Beamer....and that's not even an exaggeration.
  20. Bill Hicks

Why buff something that most people have already? probably make a clone of these with better stats and sell them for 700 sc