Do you ever feel your own body even in a video game?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Nregroepis, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Nregroepis

The brain is an incredibly complex organ in the human body. It contains around 100 billion nerve cells with each one making contact with other nerve cells to form millions of new connections every second. Even though every brain is different, there are things they all have in common; The fact that there are an array of unsolved mysteries surrounding them.

Do you ever feel in PlanetSide 2 when your character is running with your sound turned on, for some reason you feel your own feet as if they were hitting the surface of the terrain, even though you aren't really running at all? Do you ever get the recoil effect in your own body while you're firing a gun in a video game? Do you ever move around in your chair while you're in a tight projectile-avoidance situation?

What is the explanation of this? Is it because your brain is denying that you're only sitting down?

Share your thoughts and/or experiences!
  2. Lemposs

All I feel is my *** is sore, my balls are sweaty and these weak arms are heavy :D
    • Up x 2
  3. LodeTria

I don't feel what you're feeling but sometimes, pretty rarely, I feel really disorientated and my aim & skills normally go to poop. Normally I just stop for a while and it passes.
  4. JustBoo

5. Taemien

Its really hard to say because when I'm playing, I get into the zone. But I can I don't remember feeling like I am actually running. I'm consciously aware that I am sitting and sitting comfortably (I don't spare expense for my chair as video games is one of my hobbies). I think alot of it maybe due to the suspension of disbelief isn't too good for me in PS2. Reason for this is because the weapons don't handle at similar ranges and accuracies as real weapons.

For most this isn't apparent. But I visit the range about 3-5 times a month and fire a variety of weapons (I have alot, around two dozen.. as that's my 'other' hobby).

But one thing that Does stand out is the tunnel vision. I have a TV next to my monitor that I sometimes use as a secondary monitor and its usually playing some news channel or netflix while I'm playing something. But even with that distraction I can only see what's on the screen. My monitor is only 21" and so doesn't fill my entire view even with how close it is. But when I'm playing video games and even typing this what's on the screen is all I can see and process.

I think I've trained myself not to move left or right when playing PC games since it does make mouse and keyboard interesting. But I do remember doing it playing Goldeneye on the N64 and other console games. Not sure if I still do it now.. haven't played a console game since Skyward Sword came out.
  6. Campagne

No, never.
  7. Crayv

I don't as I know my own character is completely invisible to me and the gun on my screen is actually a cardboard cut out pasted on my screen.... then pair that with the character everyone else sees is basically a familiar that follows my camera around and due to the camera usually being inside his head, appears to shoot bullets from his eyes. The gun he is holding just tells others what kind of eye bullets he is going to fire.

So no.
  8. customer548

I can confirm.
    This is how i feel IRL while i'm driving my ingame Flash + Racer chassis.
    More seriously, i sometimes (rarely) find myself to lower my head when there's an ESF coming in an unexpected way. Or a hudge explosion really close to my character.
    I guess it has to deal with the reptilian part of human brain providing neuromuscular reflexes. This region is the smallest and oldest part of the evolving human brain. It mainly deals with survival, physical maintenance.
    "Youre not going to die today! Just dodge those mechanical pterodactyls !!!!" :eek:
  9. CMDante

Not as such, no. I do occasionally find myself trying to lean around a corner or otherwise adjust my view of the monitor trying to get a better angle. I feel stupid immediately after these events.
  10. ALN_Isolator

Not until VR gaming my friend! (Please come during my lifetime)
  11. TheMish

No but I've had fights that were so good, that I swear I had adrenaline pumping and I was doing extremely well because I was reacting much faster, predicting much more accurately, and being more cautious.
  12. Turekson

I have a tendency of leaning towards the monitor when I'm wall jumping so I don't lose my balance and fall.

I don't otherwise physically move much while playing I guess but after a longer play session I do feel like I would have been running around places. Not fatigue in the muscles of my legs as such but a more wholesome experience. Like I would have been really moving instead of just sitting at my chair.

I often go for long walks after playing and it can feel really strange at first since I'm physically rested but kinda feel mentally tired from an imaginary physical activity I didn't really do.