[Suggestion] Do Not Use the Stalker

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Ash87, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Ash87

Here is the thing. I have campaigned really hard over the last few days about the stalker.

I posted directed questions at Higby, the general PS2 twitter. I posted a large post on reddit. I have had multiple posts here. I have commented on it a hundred times. I've derailed suggestions for the infil, to draw attention to it.

I and no one else has gotten replies from the devs, no interest from any of them. Now the reason for this is likely that they are trying to get things done, but here are the facts that are inescapable:

1.) The infiltrator update is not finished on the PTS, but is slated to be out tomorrow. We have not had time to look at it, so I don't think a single person on this forum can adaquately say 1 way or another whether or not any of the unfinished features will work

2.) The infiltrator update benefitted other classes more than it did the infil. We got a downgrade cloak option and a slew of guns, while the other classes gained enhanced detection methods and a weapon that allows them to use one of OUR skills. If you are okay with recon dart engineers or not (I am decidedly on the fence) this is a benefit to other classes more than it is to us.

Here is the thing though, I think we can all agree that the stalker is crap. So, can we do anything about this, after so much feedback was directed at it, to show how much we disliked it? Yes, Do not use it. Don't use it, don't cert it, don't even look at it meaningfully.

If the cloak is underused, by nature of SOE's intention to attempt to show things as having equal use to other things... This makes it the most likely we can get that feature reworked or buffed in the future.

This really extends to all aspects of this update that you do not like. Don't buy, don't cert, don't waste your time... because if you do, you are supporting these decisions.
    • Up x 10
  2. deusex2

Hell!!! I took that advice one step further all the way back into the launch period and stopped playing PS2 as a whole until SOE would unnerf Infiltrator...

Needless to say I'm still waiting.
    • Up x 1
  3. m44v

It will released tomorrow? given how things look in PTS I though that SOE will postpone to update another month, I got the impression that they started working in it one month late.

I only thing that I see worth certing is the motion sensor, I bet I'm not the only one so there's going to be even more radars around *sighs*
  4. MrMurdok

Recon Dart Engies are just a spit in the face of people who burnt through 1800 certs to max out the RDD.

Stalker needs a buff so badly it's not even funny

The TRAP on PTS is not what we're going to get on live according to Higby, no way to truely test it (provided it's launched on Thursday)

Still no info on wheather we're going to see NS Sniper Rifle LAs soon

EMP/Decoys still not fixed

Eh, here's hoping for the best.
    • Up x 1
  5. Ash87

Okay, the Stalker is apparently x2 the time to drain the cloaking bar on internals now...

Maybe this will be pushed back to next week in full?
  6. Hoki

True but don't hold your breath.

Their patience for underused abilities could better be described as apathy. Either that or they are way more patient than any of us.

Better advice would be to just get over it. Literally just think of it as adrenaline shield or medic triage.

So yeah obviously don't cert an ability that you don't think is worth it, but don't hold your breath either.
    • Up x 1
  7. salembeats

I'm not going to profess any knowledge of adrenaline shield, but...

triage is actually potentially useful, with no drawback but the cert cost. it's a passive no-brainer ability which doesn't impose on any other ability. have you considered having a medic with maxed-out triage as a member of a 3-man harasser crew, in order to auto-heal any stray fire which the engi on the back might take while he's repairing the harassser?
  8. CuteBeaver

Each change that happens creates an opportunity....

If everyone has some type of radar you can convince your team to let you redploy and get to the new location ahead of the group. Hack turrets (yay they are not broken) since they won't give you away with flashing map locators. Kill tanks from behind and place beacons, pull sundies 2 hexes back and hide them so your allied troops can come from behind the lattice connection. When other players have your radar duties covered towards the end of the fight. Most likely things have stabilized at this point in the fight. On LIVE the spawn room is being camped, your work is basically done. You can move along and do what your supposed to do before the allies get to the next base.

I sympathize... know it sucks feeling like your classes ability has been given to others, I spent a couple hours feeling kinda irritated one night, and didn't bother logging in, but I tried to accept it. What helped me adjust my point of view was looking at vehicles. Radar has been given to them for ages, in ludicrously overpowered forms much worse then this. I don't think the developers truthfully WANT us to have a monopoly on radar. Their actions have indicated as much.

They want us to have a monopoly on "stealth" and sabotage... Yet like a sub par boyfriend they bait us with a prettier image of how our future will be. They let us speak our minds, spill out all our hopes and desires. They commit to very little. Sadly we painted a prettier image of the update with wishful thinking. When reality hits we discover everything doesn't add up to how we imagined. It doesn't help certain features were not delivered either which indeed were promised. I honestly think to solve the infiltrators problems its going to take WAY more time then SOE has allocated.

On the bright side reading between the lines its clear to me several things have happened.

• Infiltrators and LA's have been classified as light infantry. (They have said this officially on patch notes)
    • We are now sharing core abilities with LA's to help us both flank better should we choose to use them.
    • Our differences are still being fleshed out. More "surprises" to come I am sure with the LA update.
    • Resource Update could help give us things to do.
    • Hacking Revamps and base design will help.
    • Implants can potentially help fill in key weaknesses with stealth.

I am actually hoping stealth play suffers enough that something has to be done to improve it. They will not fix cloak until it is broken and becomes an issue they must deal with. SOE is a company and they are trying to triage a laundry list of features to progress the game and an even longer list of bug fixes...

Still I will agree the update is underwhelming and my sympathy for SOE is nearly exhausted given the time they had to work on the infiltrator update. I applaud everyone for offering advice and leaving their feedback even if SOE didn't choose to implement it. A few changes have been done leading up to this patch, which have shown they are paying attention to whats happening. We may not always get what we want, or feel we need right away.

Lets try and play this out and see how it goes with the increased level of difficulty. If we all cert stalker cloak, use it, and die horribly over and over and over again, come to the forums with sad faces and express how bad it is... SOE now has"REAL HARD DATA " to back up their choices on how to improve infiltrator cloaking across the board. Its more cost effective to redo all versions of cloak once. So logically I am hoping the brown stuff hits the fan and we get some action based on necessity. I don't have to preach to you guys because ultimately it is the casual player base (who don't even read these boards) who are going to see Stalker Cloak as a cheaper alternative to SMG and an easier entry into CQC. I really feel bad for the statistical beating they are going to be receiving. Regardless of whether you guys abstain from using this or not, the data will come.

I will cert Stalker Cloak and legitimately try and use it. I am going to throw myself into all manner of situations. I have no doubt in my mind I am going to need tea, candy, and some kinda headache pain reliever afterwards. Not giving SOE data just means they are going to assume its perfectly fine as it is.

TL:DR
    ========================================================================================
    /hug I understand you are frustrated.
    Cheer up! New-filtrators are gonna die, and the river of tears they create will possibly force cloak visibility changes.
  9. Uberubie

Funny you mention that. In the patch notes, it appears as though they've buffed the cloak (except for sprinting). The stalker is probably going to benefit the most from this since a stalker user will be able to afford to slowly crouch across the map unlike a hunter who must sprint to maximize their cloak usage.
    • Up x 1
  10. CuteBeaver

Fantastic! You just made my night!

Sadly its 1:30 AM here so Ima have to wait to check this out.

For the record during special drops most of the time my cloak sound is what gives me away. For those few precious moments when you drop from an ESF and touch the roof not being heard with Stalker is going to be wonderful as you move towards your goal. Be it getting to a capture point or placing down a beacon. A pair of infiltrators would be amazing at this since you could do both reliably and simultaneously. I can totally see the need for infiltrators in squads / platoons being maintained with these changes.
  11. Tenebrae Aeterna

I'll test the Stalker Cloaking in the VR training room, but it's very doubtful that I'll be buying anything from this update aside from the rail attachment for my Parallax. No reason to do anything but snipe.
  12. BloodyPuma

There is no rail attachement to para.

Stalker + adrenaline on the live = perfect.

Like natural good combo. Actually - I found that it is only use for adrenaline that do a difference ;) For else its crap.
  13. Skeith

wow it went exactly as i expected they did it again! they released an update giving 0 ***** about the community feedback!

8 months of delay for a downgrade of the cloak and for having even more way to counter our cloak

XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
  14. FaLI3N

I literally spent about 5 minutes on a capture point with around 10 vs running right around me all looking yet being unable to find me. I like stalker cloak, not because it is particularly powerful but because it is fun to observe the enemy in their natural habitat in a state of confusion. o_O
    • Up x 1
  15. Tenebrae Aeterna

Not excited about it, no reason to be in close.
  16. BloodyPuma

I know what you mean. Could be better.
  17. Tenebrae Aeterna

Sadly, it was better before the update.

With this update, we took far too many hits to our close quarters capabilities for Stalker Cloaking to make up for it...and nothing was implemented to give us a reason to go into close quarters. Next, they'll give hacking to all other classes. :rolleyes:
  18. Skeith

and btw why would we use the crossbow with the stalker?,it cant oneshot kill at 30 meters with an headshot with the exceptions of enemy infiltrators,isnt a regular sidearm much better?.
  19. salembeats

The new version is good! No complaints.
    • Up x 2
  20. ZephyrBurst

Yep, it's perfect how it is on live.