Do lower graphic settings still give you advantage?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by FIN Faravid, Sep 16, 2016.

1. FIN Faravid

Back in the days lower graphic settings gave you a huge advantage in lot of cases. Is this still the case? And what is Daybreak gaming's stance on this?
    If you ask me, ultra settings should always be something even most competitive players want to use, and you should only use lower settings to get better FPS, or in case of motion blur to not get sick.
  2. JKomm

It gives you an advantage because it gives you better FPS. Simple as that, apart from that there is no visual benefit, for instance it's easier to see cloaked Infiltrators with higher settings.
  3. 1Tap2Tap

Infiltrator cloak visibility is dependend on the "Graphics Quality" setting as that decides which shader version is used, the cloak is a shader effect.

If you run "Graphics Quality" on "high" and every other option on off/low, you can still see Infiltrators just fine without having to deal with the visual clutter that comes with activating / ramping up the other options.

Lower graphical settings still give big advantages apart from just FPS, that´s why no self respecting MLG tryhard (who mostly have murder rigs that easily have enough graphical power to run the game on highest settings) uses "Ultra".
    • Up x 1
  4. adamts01

I don't play for stats, or even winning necessarily, I like good fights and immersion. So I'm pretty sad my computer hates this game. One big difference I've noticed is how much better thermal works on low settings, targets glow yellow against a blue/while background instead of white against white/blue. Overall I don't really care, I just want better frames at higher quality.
  5. FIN Faravid

What about turning off flora, bloom and shadows? Surely they give unfair advantage
    • Up x 1
  6. 1Tap2Tap

That´s what I meant with "every other option on off/low".

And as I said, yes, it gives an advantage.
    • Up x 1
  7. stalkish

Always has, always will.

Big big problem with PC games imo.
    If i see a bush, and hide in it, that bush should absolutely be visible on everyone elses screen (just an example).

Ive yet to see a game that has an answer to this.:(
    • Up x 1
  8. Okjoek

That's exactly how I have it set. Everything is on minimum except Graphics quality and render distance. It was an inadvertent benefit of wanting my character's cosmetics to look as cool as possible, but letting the rest of the world look like crap.

Running on i5 3450 / RX 460 and I get fairly stable 60-70 FPS unless I'm in a large battle where I think it's my 4 year old CPU that's not keeping up as opposed to my newer entry-level GPU which in most games has exceeded my expectations.
  9. FIN Faravid

10. Liewec123

a massive advantage, hossin on low vs hossin on ultra is an entirely different experience,
    its amazing when you can actually see!
    • Up x 1
  11. FIN Faravid

I wonder how long it takes until we can enforce ultra graphics on everyone. Pretty sure most people already have good enough PCs to handle the graphics in this game, it is just enormous size, CPU, old API (not sure if it still is DirectX9 instead of Vulkan or Dx12, but it certainly is neither of those) and maybe something else.
    I wonder how well Planetside 2 is optimized? If i remember correctly, it does not utilize CPU cores well, and does not necessarily use second GPU at all.
  12. 1Tap2Tap

Bloom I find highly unhelpful for general visibility.

Fog Shadows is indeed useful because it has big impact on the usability of Night Vision scopes, without it you have less black/white contrast and "range".
  13. Truk

There was a problem getting the list of files for download. An update may be in progress. Please try again in 20-30 minutes.

Is anyone else getting this error message? I can't even install a fresh install without running into it. I am locked out of game I've played since I was a beta tester for PS1 in 2003.