Do Away With Dominations

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by 000AmidimA000, Oct 2, 2015.

1. 000AmidimA000

Dominations are a poor addition to gameplay. They only benefit maxes, vehicle players, and campers, the people who are OCD about KD and not about the other facets of gameplay. They don't serve any purpose besides allowing somebody after getting one to send you a hate tell 3 seconds later. I've also noticed that recently I've been getting dominations occasionally after 2 kills or 3 kills, instead of the 5 as I think it is supposed to be, so the system itself seems broken.

Usually if I'm trying to do something that's objective, like take out a Sundie, or a tank, or get behind a big group to clear a blocked passage so the rest of the infantry can get through, I'll be trying to achieve that goal instead of getting kills along the way. I find that in trying to get to my goal, there's one player that is backed in the corner camping (usually an infiltrator or a heavy) and they usually stop me from getting away with my plans. I'm all for them killing me as many times as possible to stop me from doing something to really damage their team efforts, but not so okay with them being rewarded for it in a way that makes me feel horrible for trying to achieve bigger goals than camping. What I find is that usually after 3 kills by the same person, I stop going after my objective, and try specifically to hunt down 1 player that's in the back of a camp filled full of enemies. Or I stop what I'm trying to accomplish, grab a C4 fairy, and run marathon distances to get behind a tank that's a million miles away sniping infantry, or get a c4 off on the max that's camping a room... things that generally are not pro-team.

Especially with tanks shooting you from far away, if you're low on nanites because you've been in constant infantry fighting, how are you supposed to deal with that tank who's killed you 3 or 4 times and don't want to let them get that last kill on you to get the domnination? Sure, I'm ok with people being rewarded with having the right gear and maneuvering it to get a huge advantage on the enemy, but not with them getting a stupid bonus that allows them to whisper "get gud" when you try to go after them to stop them and they get the last kill needed for a domination while you're trying to deal with them.

Don't even get me started on ESFs, and ESPECIALLY liberators. Good liberator pilots are near impossible to take down, and if they camp a low-pop base then the chances of them getting a domination on a bunch of poor frustrated infantry is high. What's the point of super-rewarding a spawn camper by giving them additional domination exp and a stat that lets them go "I'm better than you because I lib camp and have all these dominations to prove it"?

Dominations also discourages new players. No newbie likes being dominated by BR 100's that have impossibly good aim and all the best equipment. New players die enough as is, there's no need to humiliate them as they try to figure out the game and invevitably get picked off over and over by the veterans.

In conclusion: Dominations are a pointless stat that discourages team-play and new players, while promoting and rewarding campers, cheaters, and vehicle pilots who take advantage of the poor infantry trying to save low-pop bases.
  2. FateJH

You can just, you know, not care.
    • Up x 2
  3. _itg

Dominations were changed to 2 kills at some point. In any case, it's not like you get a mocking pop-up window when you get "dominated." You only know it happened because you were personally keeping track, and the only thing you can do to change that is get over it.
    • Up x 1
  4. 000AmidimA000

So the only thing I can do about getting chain killed by campers is get over? Great, let's re-name this game Call of Dutyside 2
  5. _itg

Is this thread about dominations or about vehicle spam? Two different things.
  6. FateJH

You already said, in the OP, that you don't care about that part.
  7. Ronin Oni

If someone kills you from the same corner... twice.... there's noone to blame but yourself really.....
    • Up x 1
  8. johnway

Really? just 2? It probably explains the domination's that i have already. that was just me sniping the same people or shooting the same people who got revived and put back down again.

I can get pretty vindictive if a particular individual constantly gets one up on me, but than when i look at the grand scheme of things they probably have more deaths to other single individuals than i do. some go as high as the 20+ mark.

But being ragged upon by a BR100 flying a liberator or ESF is absolutely annoying when you can't even get out of the spawn room to attack. Might as well not bother playing at that base and go somewhere else where we have a better chance of fighting. But that's a different story.
  9. KoRneY

why would you run after a tank that's a million miles away?

grab an esf, drop a couple hornets or pods into it (or not), bail, c4 it. you're stacking things against yourself, ignoring all of the available tools at your disposal and then blasting players for their playstyle. by all means, do whatever the hell you want... However, judging players on their choices as if yours are holier than thou because of the way you perceive this game should be played is a pointless endeavor and a complete waste of time, just like running after a tank that's a million miles away.
  10. Scr1nRusher

I push for siegable/capturable WG's because the current alert system & continent locking system is lame.

No last fights/holds, no greater strategy, no player caring.

If you could attack WG's to force enemy empires off continents, the game would be alot better & continent lock bonus's would be worth doing/going for.
  11. BlueSkies

And this has what to do with domination kills? :confused:
  12. 000AmidimA000

And I wouldn't care if they weren't getting free dominations off me. COD is notorious for promoting camping, and just ignoring camping playstyles would be fantastic if I could do it, but actively rewarding camping is going to get me to care and compare this to COD. Camping is a part of any FPS, but rewarding it beyond just getting a bunch of kills is taking an MMOFPS and turning it into a run-of-the-mill FPS because teamwork breaks down when you reward campers.

like I said before, if I'm in heavy infantry combat I'm not looking to take the time to pull an ESF, waste 350 nanites doing it, then throw it away all for 1 person. After the c4, that's 550 nanites to take out 1 tank! And I'm not blasting play styles, and I agree with you that other play styles should not be "holier" than mine, which is why campers and spawn campers shouldn't be actively rewarded for doing their camping. Where is my "you're in a massive engagement actively trying to save/take a base reward"? (you know, base capture being the driving force of the game if you want your empire to be successful). It can take a long time before a base flips or gets rescued, so why am I not getting a constant award for being in the same base as 300 players? Dominations make other players feel horrible, and makes them leave large engagements to do things like "pull an ESF and C4" targets. There's better things to do in the game than waste time going after the same person who's killed you a bunch of times in a row. And I could let it go that they killed me all those times were there not a stat based on it and them thinking their play style is holier than mine because they talk junk and say "get gud" when their camping invetiably pays off. Keeping track of the number of times you've killed a single individual leads to a lot of people saying "Hey, guess what, my play style IS better than yours. I camped and killed you 3 times in a row, you suck for letting me kill you that many times".
  13. Ronin Oni

"DGC, This is an OUTRAGE!

How dare you add a mechanic which does not negatively impact gameplay whatsoever, and gives XP bonuses for both getting multiple kills in a row as well as getting revenge against my killer!

I am easily enraged by meaningless things on screen, such as saying I died twice to the same person in a row. THIS IS UNNACCEPTABLE!

Remove this free bonus XP IMMEDIATELY or my fragile ego will crack and I'll uninstall!"
    -OP... probably
    • Up x 3
  14. 000AmidimA000

Ok then, I guess I'll just whisper "get gud" to every player I get a domination on and feel good about myself. Sorry for the OP, and wanting to increase positive player experience for the community. I'll just continue the long standing tradion of thinking myself superior to everyone by camping them and lul'ing when they rage.
  15. Ronin Oni

THey could simply not tell the person being dominated (as if they don't recognize the same damn banner every death screen anyways) and only tell them when they get their revenge kill (which comes with bonus XP to make you feel good)

THAT would be a reasonable request.

Asking them to remove bonus XP seems absurd though.

They're already seeing the same person on kill feed anyways, so I really don't see a difference.

Whispering "get gud" would actually make you an ***.. If I encounter someone who I "dominate" because they keep making the same mistake, I'll be polite and try to actually help them (I'm not going to stop protecting objectives for them, but I will advise them that maybe they should avoid the same exact doorway they just got killed running through 3 times in a row)
    • Up x 2
  16. Scr1nRusher

I thought he was talking about continent locking(calling it domination) XD
  17. KoRneY

your idea that battle takes place around one base is limiting you to what you're doing.

also, I'm specifically mentioning you going after tanks a million miles away, on foot no less. so it takes less time to walk a million miles than it does to spawn at a nearby tower or AMP station and bolster your firepower? And drive/fly back towards the base that an enemy tank is shelling?

my personal take on the resource system is that if you're @ 750, you're wasting resources. spawn a tank, spawn an esf, spawn anything, and even if you're in it for 30 seconds, you're still expanding your impact and what you're doing. spawn an HE tank in the middle of a fight with thermal detection and you may find a big juicy AMS glowing with targets. Or you may run into conveniently placed tank mines. Either way you're expanding your options and opportunities to make an impact. Or you can ignore advice from experienced players and keep doing the same **** over and over that provides incentive to whine threads like this one.

I could care less. This is my last reply. I'm unwilling to help people who are not going to listen.

Session from last night, lots of suicide Scythes for transportation.

https://recursiontracker.com/?p=c&c=saved&id=106730
    • Up x 1
  18. _itg

No one cares about getting "dominations," honestly. It's a negligible XP bonus, and killing someone twice in a row is just something that randomly happens now and then rather than an actual achievement. If it bothers you to die to the same person twice in a row, the best option is to step back and look at why you're dying, then think about how to avoid it next time. Playing the objective is great and all, but it works best when you stay alive long enough to make a difference. By the way, the guy who kills you IS playing the objective, because he's stopping you.

Ah, now it makes sense. Did you by any chance omit the part of the story where you've been sending rage tells before the other guys told you to "git gud"? People don't usually send unsolicited taunts to people they killed beyond maybe a v-6.
  19. Lemposs

I don't think I have ever seen such a long rant about something so non interfering and completely missable within the game.

Honestly, I think it is better you just get away from the game, because you seem to make far more problems out of nothing, than anything else in the game.

Oh and if I see one more "but the newbs leave over it", I am gonna kick a goddamn puppy.
    • Up x 1
  20. Iridar51

The problem is in your head, OP.