DNS Servers - Looking For Information

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Odamit, Sep 6, 2014.

1. Odamit

Hey all.

My ISP's DNS server took a dive a few weeks ago, and I used OpenDNS as a workaround. However, the quality of game play while using OpenDNS was either amazingly smooth (felt like I could up graphics settings a notch alone, even for 96+ fights), or completely unplayable just trying to load into Warpgate. I think it was based on off peak / peak hours, because I'm not sure what else it could be that I'd have such a stark contrast in being able to play without any hardware modifications / or running simultaneous programs.

It wasn't until I remembered that I switched DNS servers on the internet network connection, that I changed it back to auto select a DNS server from my ISP that my framerate / gameplay experience went back to relative normal. Stable, but with the occasional hitches, hovering around mid 30 FPS during larger fights.

I have a few questions if anyone that knows about DNS servers. I don't know much, but anything insightful would be greatly appreciated. :)

1) Do DNS servers in general have the same capacity to deliver an expected quality of service? If not what DNS servers provide a better service?

2) Is there a benefit to using a specific DNS over having one being auto selected?
  2. Freeloaderusa

The Domain Name System (DNS) is a hierarchical distributed naming system for computers, services, or any resource connected to the Internet or a private network. It associates various information with domain names assigned to each of the participating entities. Most prominently, it translates easily memorized domain names to the numerical IP addresses needed for the purpose of locating computer services and devices worldwide. The Domain Name System is an essential component of the functionality of the Internet.

source = wiki
    conclusion = doesnt have anything to do with dns and dns also doesnt affect internet speed
    • Up x 2
  3. Bambasti

Freeloaderusa is right.

The game doesn't need any DNS server because it connects directly to the IP addresses so there doesn't happen any translation (like opening http://173.194.112.11 instead of http://www.google.com).

Also this translation happens only once and is then saved during the session by the computer/router. So there may be a delay in the beginning if the DNS server takes too long for an answer but it absolutely has no effect on the speed or latency of the connection itself.

I use the DNS servers from Google by the way. They seem quite reliable and their addresses are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 - just put them into your router and you'll be fine.