[Discussion] Reporting Extremely Short Play Sessions

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by TartarusMkII, Jan 3, 2013.

1. TartarusMkII

Hey everyone,

I've been noticing a trend within myself and my outfit that I wanted to bring up to the developers and forumsiders. If you find that you agree with these ideas, please discuss your own experience in your response. Thanks!

Firstly, let me make this clear. I run my own outfit, picking up new players left and right. We usually operate in a squad or platoon, moving along taking bases in an AMS. Ever since air power has become an issue, my outfit has been desolate, with hardly anyone ever signing on. My squad cannot operate without AA because I am the only pilot among us. Be clear though, my experience is not based on a lone wolf scenario.

Every morning after I wake up and before I start doing any work I've got to do, I get on Planetside to check the Depot for deals. Then, I get in a scythe if I have the resources and choose whether I will take rocket pods or AA missiles with me. Then, I fly around for as long as I can trying to do something to stimulate my Certs-Over-Time.

Once I die, if the fight I died at is good enough, I will spawn on the ground. Otherwise, I simply log off onto my other character and do the same exact thing. If I stay, I notice that no matter how many times I pull my AMS, the amount of time my vehicle will last before I either get destroyed by an MBT or Liberator, or crash to desktop, is less than about 7 minutes.

I choose not to play Heavy Assault as infantry, and unfortunately I can not stand against the countless Heavy Assaults I encounter with their shields and rocket launchers. Even when I find groups of infantry to run with towards a capture point, I've not once seen our group make it to the building (if we are being shot at to begin with) because of tons of armor, a Liberator, etc.

So, my point is that I log on, dick around a bit, die / crash then log out. I imagine some other people have my same issue, and I don't believe that this is the intended style of play for Planetside 2, and I imagine someone in the design team would like to know about this. Please comment, thanks.
    • Up x 1
  2. TartarusMkII

Oh, to clarify, I get a scythe and then stop playing because of my now absent resources that I do not get unless I am playing on the continent that we are already winning on. (Why bother fighting in a losing fight especially when we can't get vehicles? Derr.)
  3. Monnor

I dont get it, you want report people for having a RL?
  4. TartarusMkII

Please don't post in my thread.

The discussion is meant to be reported to designers who might care to know that there is a demographic of players who are limited to very short sessions because of the content itself.
    • Up x 1
  5. Syylara

I seem to be following the same basic trend. I was willing to stick to the cert grind towards a weapon that suits my style better (unfortunately one of the 1000 cert-cost offerings) with pace that was working during double-XP time. However, in just the last few days, the rate I've been seeing has dramatically dropped off. The causes are numerous but include the frequency with which I get killed just trying to get TO a battle as well as a general overall slowing of the conflict and region captures.

The problem also exists in reverse. There have been countless times I get into position to lay down fire on some defenders only to watch them get destroyed by a liberator fly-by or sudden tank barrage. Besides the frustration of going from battle site to battle site with no XP gain aside from the flip, it is just plain boring to stand around at a terminal over and over with no real fight taking place.

Today I put in an hour or so and logged off feeling very "ho-hum" since the play experience was basically "drive to here, sit and wait, rinse, repeat" interspersed with the occasional sound of nearby explosions followed by the spawn screen.
  6. {joer

So you are a bad FPS player. Its obvious from this line. So in an FPS game you have problem playing and obviously play with horrible players if you never NOT ONCE seen your group make it to a building.

These posts make me sad because you feel the problem is with the game, and not yourself. I've never broken par for a full round of golf but I don't claim its because golf is too hard.

You don't need to be an HA to be a good infantry player, you need to know how to play an FPS. HA's are actually easier kills I think since they are less mobile. I played a lot of HA to start but now I'm mostly LA or ENG and have no problem playing the infantry game (as a TR no less, no laser guns for me). I eat HA's for breakfast.

Unless you are being camped by a huge zerg (in which case find a new place to go) let me tell you how to get out of a spawn and win vrs a tank or two camping the doors (assume the coffin small spawns). You have say 4-5 guys. PLAY a heavy, sorry, play it, with a rocket launcher. ONE guy leave, the tank will fire, that guy will die, the tank needs to reload, GET OUT an unload 4 missiles into him (tank mines are better but you need to cert it and not always the best for every situation, c4 has similar issues). After you fire RUN while you reload. Now maybe another one or two of you is dead but the rest FIRE THE MISSILES, tank is dead. The rest of you respawn, problem solved!

Now if its a ESF the solution is a simple AA max or G2A rocket but lets assume you are competent enough that an ESF can't camp you. Its a lib. Now this can be a problem. Unless you all spawn AA maxes and go out opposite doors, you won't kill it fast enough. I do think libs need a slight nerf there, but let me tell you what to do. You and your mates spawn those scythes. FLY to the base. SHOOT down the lib. I do this "surprise" tactic all the time vrs spawn camping libs.

This is mostly a L2P thread.

Oh and I love to loan wolf, 49-12 last night lone wolfing, never used a vehicle to kill anyone. Find low pop areas and have fun.
  7. Flarestar

So you... run an outfit full of random pubbies that don't organize, get destroyed by air as a result, and then log off out of boredom from having chosen a really ineffective way to play? Seems kinda like complaining in a typical fantasy MMORPG because your spam-invited guild can't coordinate enough to take down raid bosses.

Personally I don't have this issue. About the only time I get bored and log off is if we keep running into one of the outfits whose sole tactic consists of exploit-crashing the hex any time a good fight starts.
  8. TartarusMkII

Good job not reading the OP, boys.

Any other comments?
  9. Mehuge

You do know, when you die, there is a respawn option? ;)

I have found myself logging on, if I die rather quickly and can't respawn my vehicle of choice, sometimes in frustration I will just log off, or more usually go sit in a base somewhere and go do some washing up or hoovering or other boring housework, while I wait for the respawn timer to tick down or resources to tick up.

Less so more recently, as I have started to join platoons most of the time (my outfit is dead) so will spawn as infantry if I die in my vehicle before resources or timer is available, rather than sit idle in some base.
  10. DoctorWhose

I kinda agree. PS2 is fun as long as your plans for the day basically are not ruined by some random event.

Sometimes I think about going armor and then just randomly get stuck in a small crevice and that alone makes me rage enough to just quit.

Ragequitside 2
  11. Mold1184

So... How about fighting in a squad? Find more active friends/outfit.