Discussion: Game Update 1 Changes

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Archaegeo, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Wasdie

Looks like they removed the launcher changes for this patch. They are no longer on the patch notes. Maybe they didn't get time to apply the intended buffs for this patch.

They are going to nerf the heck out of dumbfire capabilities for the AA launcher. It's stupid that it's the go-to weapon for all AV.
  2. Patrician

What is not fun for you is fun for others. In PS base battles could last 4 or 5 hours sometimes and I considered them to be "fun" when they did. What I do not consider fun is wondering around a map moving from one base to another capturing them with ease. A base capture should be hard work and take time.
    • Up x 1
  3. Wasdie

PS1 battles were not farms on the level that PS2 tech fights are. With multiple entrances and many ways to cap a base (denying ANT resupplies, LLUs) and other ways to bypass defenses, there was an actual progression to even the long fights. Here it's just a stalemate that reminds me of a high tick game of Battlefield 3's Metro map with 64 players grinding through two small hallways.

Dumb.
    • Up x 1
  4. Liquid23

lol... I like the part where the entire squad of TR LAs jump onto the rooftop to mercilessly empty their carbines into the back's of like 3 Vanu then the screen flashes "HONOR"
  5. Metsuro

I feel as they also fixed some of the texture issues. I'm playing on ultra and have been for awhile. But it seems even more stunning.
  6. Phaze

I believe Smedley talked about a rendering change in THIS update... not sure if there have been any battles big enough to test this, though.
  7. Champagon

wait?! i can actually walk outside of my warpgate without being spammed to all hell by rocket podders!!! Finally! we can come out and play the game now guyz :O
  8. jordo2k1

i wouldnt bank on on it
  9. daskleineviech

Can someone tell me what the difference between the standard issue boom stick and the NS Devastator is? I just blew up my onw Prowlers and Lightings and it seemed about the same, the projectile speed isn't really different either.
  10. Patrician

So what would you call "fun" when it comes to base captures/defense? To stroll around the map capping empty bases? For all bases to have the stupid Bio Lab teleporters that let an invading army straight into the base?

The tech labs were the only bases that provided a decent fight because they could be defended. Now we may as well just play a game of capture the empty base and move on.
  11. Flarestar

Problem is that if you've lost enough of the tech plant (and therefore your internal Sunderer) to be having to enter via the teleport, you've already lost the battle. The teleporter is extremely easy to camp for the attackers.
  12. Hodo

I honestly was hoping for one thing, increase in round speed from the Skyguard, I am glad it got it.

But most of the other stuff, I will have to wait and play and then make judgement and not be a whinner before I test it.

I am still wanting, like many others, the ability to have SC purchases become account wide.
  13. orionX65

Infantry farming, max damage blast radius was reduced to 1.5m from 3m while still doing damage up to 3m but at a reduced amount. Unless you have a terrible aim this won't really be that noticeable and infantry will continue to cry about rocket pods on forums just like before.
  14. Flarestar

Rocket pods are still good for basically everything they were good for before. They'll still kill MBTs and Lightnings in half a clip, they'll still vaporize infantry with ease (did anyone actually have trouble hitting infantry dead on before?), and they'll still largely be an absurd one stop shop for ESFs.

But hey, at least AA is slightly more effective now. Maybe.
  15. Phyr

A few changes I'm not too sure about. Increased Zephyr damage to turrets wasn't needed, and the new lmg's and accuracy changes will be interesting to see.
  16. Foefaller

Exactly, there are epic base defences... and then there was the Tech Plant.

Amp stations are my personal gold standard when it comes to base design, so many critical points for the attackers and defenders to fight over (with both the open front and outer walls for tanks and the narrow, twisty buildings in the back that vehicles couldn't reach for infantry to shine) before they can claim victory. Biolab fights normally drops my framerate into the single digits, but I can still apreciate what they are, and why infantry lovers love them.

The Tech Plant fight was just a meatgrinder fighting over control of one point. Sure, Breach Sunderers shined there, and I'm going to miss the fact that they are no longer a must have to be able to take the place in a reasonable amount of time, but making it so it no longer involves 98% of the zerg pushing through 2 small doors in the back to capture a single point, with one generator controlling all the shields is a good thing, even if it means most battles for it will end in a couple of hours.
    • Up x 1
  17. Wasdie

That's not at all what I would consider fun. I would like some noteable progression ala PS1 style. The multiple generators allows for that but the bases are laid out in such a way progression devolves into a "whack-a-mole" style instead of progression.

If the bases had a bit more limitations where you could go and some more bottlenecks in places like in PS1, it would be better. I'm not asking for hallway fights, but having a generator building right next to a wall and pretty much open on all sides does not lend itself to any sort of progression.
  18. Kurreah

But it isn't.
    Its the most versatile, since it isn't possible to reliably engage air with any other basic infantry. But needing a couple of extra shots to kill a MBT compared to the default launcher is important when you only carry 5 shots to start with. And the tank is shooting back at you.
  19. MexelVanMexelen

Maybe so, but all the other bases were way too easy to take. Tech plants gave us a taste of longer battles, and that is probably gone now. I wouldn't like all the bases to be like tech plants were, but the variety was good also.
  20. TheLeadMachine

What I think they need to do now is make it so we can re-cert/re-SC our characters because of all these changes. It would be a nice option we could do on each major game update.

I would also like to change servers if at all possible so I could play with some of my other friends.

Having more flexibility in this game, and in any other game, makes for a better game in my opinion.