DISCUSSION: Creative Engineering.

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Xybranus, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Xybranus

Let's face it, there's a certain stigma/expectation that comes with playing the Engineer. You get all these tools, and most of 'em work fairly well in intended circumstances. But, where's the fun in that? No, it's almost expected, as your duty as an Engineer, to find unusual ways to use all these fun toys in new and exciting ways, for laughs, for rage, or, for a new way to play. I want to see these ideas, and I'll start with my own time-tested method of ambushing MAXes.

If you can lure a MAX well, drop tank mines (two is a guarantee for this method, one MAY work as well) where you EXPECT to shoot the MAX. Go a few/several/some feet back (a comfortable distance) and set up an AV Turret. This will do two things. You can guarantee to drop half his health, and possibly kill him via mines with a direct hit + splash, or, aim for the mines and watch the fireworks.

It takes a bit of time to set up, but when done... it's 100% effective, unless operator error comes into play (I'm guilty of this.)
  2. Xiad

Putting tank mines within range of proxy mines is also an interesting way of dealing with MAX crashes. It just takes an additional bit of coordination with people.

Using turrets as climbing tools/obstacles/cover is an old one, but there's pretty much endless versatility in that alone. One well placed turret can really help your allies with accessability around bases, in the right places. It's worth the experimentation.

The use of Spitfire turrets is pretty niche at the moment, but they do have their uses. Even in large fights, there are going to be areas that not many people are defending, in a point holding situation. Rather than placing turrets that face through or onto a chokepoint, have them so they only start to fire on enemies once they are a ways THROUGH the chokepoint. Then it becomes either an active distraction whilst you swing around to kill them, or at the very least they will have taken damage in a danger zone and your allies will be alerted to it.
  3. HUNTERANGEL121

Spitfire turrets are like a pocket BR 12. Shoot at anything that moves.