Discuss Vanu assault rifles

Discussion in 'Combat Medic' started by Scientiarum, May 15, 2013.

1. BlackDragonFun

Having come across a thread recently about how great AR guns are, I decided to try them out. I spent a while trying out the guns in VR, and found the Corvus was best for me.

The ROF is low, but it hits hard, is accurate, and recoil is controllable. Not great for close range, but fantastic at ranges beyond that.
  2. Psykmoe

If you spend any time in buildings, the H-V45 is an excellent buy. Great CQC gun, still ok at medium range with discipline.

However, if I'm going for something mid-range, like between amp station/tech plant buildings, I usually just run Pulsar with foregrip and 2x reflex. I love Vanu reflex sights, the Pulsar has low recoil and the grip helps fix the sideways jitter. It's surprisingly solid for being the cheap option. I actually prefer it to the NC Medic's gun in terms of recoil handling...I think the Gauss Rifle pulls sideways a little too hard. Also surprisingly good gun for being the cheap option though, make no mistake.

I haven't tried the CME and Corvus, maybe if they go on sale I will, but I try to avoid long range fights if I can anyway. If my 2x reflex stops being adequate I'd rather try and close the distance, or go HA and spam the Lasher for DISCO. Though honestly since I do have an NS-11A unlocked, I'll probably not go for the CME, since the NS-11A can be kitted out for similar ranges (minus the advanced foregrip) and has the same damage/rof. Corvus feels really good on the VR range but 525 rpm @ 167 just makes me uncomfortable. The NC Gauss Rifle has 600 rpm, even the slow Ursa LMG has 550. I love 167 damage guns, but I am rather weary about that low rate of fire.

Still, if the Corvus goes on sale at some point I'll grab it just to round out my arsenal.
  3. Hagestol

Interresting choice of attachments. Care to defend your picks? :)
  4. MrK

x2 is still perfect even for long range. I don't think you really need more.
    You're right on Corvus RoF, it's its Achille heel making it rather subpar for CQC, while a Gauss Rifle doesn't lose efficiency in close distance.
    That said, Corvus is still a beast, and I actually prefer it over Gauss for long range. It's becoming more and more my defautl VS CM gun, I only take Hydra now when I'm sure to keep the whole run in close combat.

On a side note, since you mention it, I'm looking at Ursa atm for long range HA play, is it a good gun? I'm an NC EM6 freaks, if that helps defining my gun style.
  5. Slaidd

I pretty much only use the Hydra on my medic and I have a similar setup. I find that I'm almost always ADSing when I'm shooting at someone, so I went with the foregrip. I also have the SPA and may decide to add a flash suppressor, but I'm not sold on that yet. I've found that the hipfire of the hydra is good enough without the laser sight for my purposes. Frankly, I try not to be in CQC if I can possibly avoid it. The foregrip allows me to pretty much drive tacks at anywhere from 5 to 30 or 40m and with decently long bursts.

Like your sig too btw, I chuckle every time I see that.
    • Up x 1
  6. Hagestol

How about NV vs 1x/2x? I use NV on all my weapons outside of slug snipers etc, but I'd like not to (ruins the feel of the game imo). And the adv laser cone on the hydra is super tight, but then again ADS is also super tight so I'm kinda torn between the two of them...
  7. sindz

H-V45, Corvus and NS-11A.

Rest are garbage and not worth the time.
  8. Slaidd

I have both the IR/NV and the 1x reflex. The 1x reflex for the VS, I think is one of the best sights in the game. I have it on every single VS gun I have outside of a long range rifle. The IR/NV is great too, and I use it often. The only problem I have with the 2x reflex is the amount that it cuts down your ability to swing around if someone gets in close. The 1x doesn't have this effect, or at least its not near as bad.

I definitely understand having the adv. laser on it. I will probably end up getting that too and then I'll swap out the grip for the adv. laser for CQC fights in biodomes and such. I can see situations where it would be advantageous to have both options.
  9. Goden

I honestly found that the NS-11A really struggles to dish out fast kills at medium range versus the Corvus or CME. Despite the hate the CME gets it's really not that bad of a gun, or so it seems.
  10. Van Dax

I feel that through my testing that the corvus is just a better CME, sure CME might be fine but I can't see it doing anything better than the corvus.
  11. Kazune

I don't think its about CME being a bad gun, its just lackluster. Problem with it for me is it performs too closely to the NS-11, to the point where its practically the same weapon but with a different recoil pattern and smaller mag than the NS-11.

Also would like to point out that the Corvus is 250 certs now (same as the H-V45).
  12. Van Dax

that's basically my opinion as well.
  13. Psykmoe

The Ursa is fine, and I like it quite a bit. It has the highest bullet velocity of the VS LMGs, a decent magazine (75) and faster reload than the Flare, the other 167 damage gun. The Flare fires faster (577 rpm vs 550) but I find the Ursa handles the recoil better, it has slightly less first shot recoil and generally seems to land its bursts a bit better at long range. Reminds me a little of the Razor carbine for NC. Same rpm and damage, very controllable, nice first shot recoil, fast bullets for the class (Razor's 560 m/s base velocity is exceptional for a carbine)

I got the Ursa in some bundle and I'm not totally sure it'd be worth the 750 extra certs or 200 extra SC it costs over the Flare if you want to try a high bullet damage LMG, so there is that. The Flare's damage output is also a bit closer to the EM6's 600 rpm, although personally I always like going for the highest possible velocity, and for Vanu HA that's the Ursa or NS-15M, both 640m/s. NS-15M is another gun with very low rpm for the damage, 625rpm @ 143, slowest 143 damage gun I believe.

To stay on topic, I really can't say enough good things about the NV scope for the H-V45 or any CQC AR/Carbine, especially in cluttered/dark spots like biolabs outside CQC ranges.
  14. Psykmoe

I forgot to add this and the time time-window to edit is over, but I really wish the Equinox Burst had a lower first shot recoil modifier. Same for any of those 100 certs Burst carbines and ARs. Burst variants are advertised as for longer ranges, and they get HVA, but at long ranges the first shot recoil usually throws your burst off target quite easily. The only assault rifle that gets its burst on target quite reliably is the SABR-13, because it has a first shot recoil mod of 0.75, meaning its first shot (it is locked into 2-shot bursts) actually has less than normal recoil, meaning it can fire at much longer ranges and still land the second shot on target pretty reliably. If the Burst variants had a first shot recoil like that, they'd be much more popular, especially the Gauss Burst, because at 650m/s base velocity+HVA, it has the fastest bullets in the game, which would be a fun gimmick if the burst mode was actually accurate. Right now, Burst variants are barely more effective than decent fire control on stock guns, and at least those can spray full auto up close too.

I'd probably grab an Equinox Burst just for the hell of it if the burst mode was more reliable at getting all shots on target.

Honorable mention to the Gauss Rifle S, which loses rpm and velocity to the stock Gauss and Burst, but its significantly lower first shot recoil actually makes it very competitive at long range, and its 577rpm at 167 damage is still better than the 650 rpm @ 143 on the Equinox VE2.

They might be worried that LMGs with burst mod (like Flare and EM6) would be too good with lowered first shot recoil, so I'd be ok if they just reduced that on Burst-only guns. Make Burst guns all work like the SABR-13, they'd still be situational but at least more worth it.
  15. Adamar09

You just blew my mind, never knew the Flare could do that.

Shame it's not any use...
  16. Goden

Alright I caved and bought the CME. It's probably not worth the 1000 certs over the default gun but I think it's better than my Corvus and more flexible than the H-V. Because it doesn't fire so slowly I would say it's better at medium range than the Corvus. Corvus is just simply too slow to be competitive on the battlefield.
  17. Phrygen

hmm... .from what i have tested the CME 2x reflex combined with its recoil pattern can def give the ns 11 a run for its money. if you own one dont get the other though.
  18. Ganjis

Get the HV45. It is great for most engagements, but starts tapering off at 40-50m. If you are fighting exclusively >40m then the Pulsar is probably worth using instead, unless you have the Corvus. I have not tried the NS AR, so no comment there. I use HV45 or Corvus depending on the situation and like them both.
  19. Wrel Developer

If anything, Vanu players have the least reason to use the NS-11A. VS has a lot of accurate, medium-long/long ranged weapons at their disposal. TR and NC don't, and are pretty much forced to use the NS-11A if they want a weapon more akin to VS tech.

Not sure what threads you've been reading, but they are most definitely wrong.
  20. Flying Mug

All threads about Vanu ARs:
    - HV45
    - NS-11A
    - Uhm, a shotgun or something?

I also have the Corvus and used the Pulsar a bit but feh. Corvus might be amazing if it shot at 577 RPM. The 5 extra bullets, bullet velocity, and uncluttered iron sights on the NS-11A make it preferable to the Pulsar and it's ilk in my opinion.