Discuss how dual pistols cld work

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by EViLMinD, May 17, 2013.

1. Suiradezza

No, you're not. It's called Max Payne.You're just someone who plays video games. You see something you think is cool and then you try to insert it everywhere you can because you can't immerse yourself properly.
  2. EViLMinD

Come again? "You're just someone who plays video games." Seriously? Sup with the attitude, sister? Are you trying to troll me? Or, are you just being a tool?

Oh, I assure you. I AM a video game nerd. Have been since my dad brought home a Pong set back in 1980 (a glorious day it was). After that, I raised myself on Atari, ColecoVision and arcade games. My pre-teens were mostly spent on Nintendo and Sega systems. Then, in the mid-90s, I discovered Wolfenstein 3D, DOOM, Goldeneye64 and, eventually, Quake 1/2/3. I even designed and developed a full conversion mod with RtCW source. And, did I mention that I'm currently BR 94 in PS2?

I have the cred. The real question is do you?

;)
  3. Chemicalnurd

"Realism" doesn't come into it. It's the future with jetpacks, lasers and spandex.
    The word people are looking for is "Authenticity". Dual wielding will be jarring in the same way the ADAD dance is, only moreso.
    Disclaimer: not saying the ADAD dance should be fixed, it has to be there with this style of gunplay and they can never change the gunplay at this point to get rid of it. Not without, say, turning it into "ArmA: The MMO" (Which incidentally is something I'd play the **** out of).
  4. EViLMinD

...and teleporters... and clone-spawn rooms... etc. This game blends the wild sci-fi stuff with the old world. We have plasma firing guns mixed with pump-action shotguns. Anything goes, it seems.

There is no proof that it cannot work, though. When you realize that there is plenty of room to tweak the accuracy, reload time, equip speed, ammo reserve, and options for pistol combinations and removing the ADS ability, it becomes quite clear that dual wielding could fit. Have an open mind. There are too many variables to consider before one should assume that it's impossible to balance.
  5. Wolfwood82

There was never a question of whether it could or could not work.

The question is should they do it? The answer most of us provided was no. Chemic can make up whatever BS excuse or reason to shove aside the "realism" comments he wants, it's all about realism. Anyone who knows anything about actual game development could tell you realism is incredibly important to all game design.
  6. Chemicalnurd

It's just so... Action movie, though. It could fit, gameplay wise. But idk, it'd be really jarring on an authenticity level.
  7. EViLMinD

What I don't understand is why some folks think it shouldn't work? I have no problem with it being added. All depends on how.

I welcome more variety to my experience. Options are good. Works for Starbucks, auto dealers and the adult industry ;)

Besides, will all likelihood, dual pistols will be added. May as well embrace it.
  8. Hagestol

Tbh I really don't want a giant bowl of milk with a sprinkle of coffee in it. I'm also sort of against dual wield pistols, but we'll see how it works out. When the devs put their minds to something it usually goes through (See open VS helmets for more info)
  9. Mythicrose12

I'm more under the impression that instead of dual weilding weapons already in the game, SOE will create/implement specifically for dual weilding for a few reasons :

1. Tuning a single "weapon" (asthetically looks like dual weilding) would be easier to balance than retuning previous weapons.
    2. Less player QQ when LA players have to unlock "left arm" weapon, "right arm" weapon like a MAX.
    3. Makes for a LA only unique weapon (infiltrators ahve sniper/scout rifles, heavies with LMG, medics with ARs)
    4a. Could be yet another NS weapon so no perceived "best" between factions to encourage station cash use.
    4b. Could be same stat weapon with unique skins ala pump shot guns.

As for people worried about dual wielding being OP...well...you can't get more OP than the OHK shotguns. SMGs perform very closely to the close quarters carbines (at least for VS). What I expect is the "ideal" performance range to be similar to the "ideal" range for a PSA one hit kill, but obviously DW wouldn't OHK. I do expect it DW to have a faster TTK than SMGs and close quarter carbines but likely also having much less accuracy, more bloom, bigger CoF.
  10. EViLMinD

Unique pistols for akimbo may be a possibility, too. My guess is that it will just use the current pistols.

I'd like to try a Mag-shot in one hand and a Scatter pistol in the other.
  11. Wolfwood82

Yeah after they spent all this time balancing the pistols for being used one at a time, they plan on allowing you to dual wield them. Smart.

We're going to end up with the potential for another OHK weapon and then people will cry more about us even though just 10% of the LAs use it. After which we will get hit by another blanket nerf that affects all LAs in order to balance us out for a specific ability.