Discuss how dual pistols cld work

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by EViLMinD, May 17, 2013.

1. EViLMinD

Before the negative nancies start to flame me for digging up this dead horse of a topic, I'd like to say that I'm also a little skeptical about whether or not this is worthwhile. It does seem to be a difficult thing to add.

Yes, the 'akimbo' gimmick looks cool in action movies but it probably has no practical usage in the real world (outside of circus gunslinger trick shows). Still, who cares. This is a freakin' video game. 'Realism' is a word that only witless people use to claim something - like dual pistol wielding - could never work.

Why bother adding dual pistols if you can't target two different enemies in separate locations? Well, this is a fair point but not enough to prove dual pistols cannot work in PS2. Seriously. Don't be daft. What dual pistols would add is fun. That's plenty of reason.

Still, it would be a lot better if you could use two different pistol types at the same time. For example, a revolver in one hand and a suppressed semi-auto in the other. That would be useful. A player could choose to fire the gun that keeps them off radar or the one that hurts the most.

How would the loadout system be structured? I figure it would make sense to have each pistol be assigned to the primary and secondary slots. During play, the player could select both pistols by using inventory slot 1. Slot 2 would be for the primary pistol, and then slot 3 would be for the secondary pistol. Under-barrel launchers setup is similar to this, so I gather there is some code that the devs could use for akimbos too. Dunno

Obviously, dual wielding would negate the ability to ADS. That's why a player should be able to swap to each pistol individually.

Ok, who has something constructive to say? For OR against. Doesn't matter. Just don't be an idiot and say something useless, like "No", because that would be lame. Help this discussion by offering ONLY thoughtful input. Give us your ideas. Share your technical knowledge as it relates to game balance.... whatever you think is relevant.

Thanks! Let's have a fun discussion!
    • Up x 3
  2. Hagestol

Did they actually say that it was for pistols only?

I'm against because I don't see the purpose of dual wielding over a carb. If I could dual wield SMGs with a reduction in damage so the total damage is higher then sure. But pistols without ADS? Nah.
  3. Flashtirade

They'll probably do the same thing they do with MAX arms:
    Slot 1 (primary) - Right arm
    Slot 2 (secondary) - Left arm

As for weapon selection during combat, I'd rather it be:
    1 - slot 1 pistol
    2 - slot 2 pistol
    3 - both pistols
    4 - utility item(s)
    5 - empty, but this is where a tool would go
    This way, each pistol is assigned to its logical slot.

Dual-wielders should carry more ammo. Not twice as much , but a few extra mags each would be nice.

Cool factor, for one. It might not be very useful in a lot of situations, but it would be fun.
    If they were to implement dual-wielding for SMGs, they'd have to make the hipfire spread crazy wide (like they did in Call of Duty, but Steady Aim reduced it quite a bit) or else it would be way too strong. I don't see them reducing damage values for this.
  4. Cirevam

Supposedly only LAs are the ones getting dual pistols, if I read the Roadmap correctly. If that's the case, then the tool slot (what I thought you meant by "slot 3", now I know what you meant) would be perfect for the dual-wielding ability... tool... whatzit, since there's nothing in there right now. So if/when you cert into dual-wielding you can see that in the loadout slot. From there, there could be cert trees for better handling or something, but only while dual-wielding.
  5. EViLMinD

You don't see the potential benefits? Well, I do:
    SMGs would be pushing it, don't you think? They're two-handed weapons. It would be nuts to include them.

Still, their downside would be terrible accuracy, not lower damage. That is, unless you offered unique smgs for akimbo use only.

Besides, I highly doubt the akimbo ability will be for anything other than pistols. Only the TR will have full auto guns (once they get their next ESP)
  6. MajiinBuu

With dual pistols you shouldn't be able to throw grenades.
    Like my favorite childhood game, Halo 2
  7. EViLMinD

Hmm. Good suggestion.
  8. Kazune

If you'd like to see how they currently work without all the mobility of a light assault, look at the VS max using dual Vortexes (without charging/high velocity).
  9. KnightCole

Dual pistols would be absurd in this game. Pistols are actually very good in this game. two would be nutzo OP.
    • Up x 2
  10. EViLMinD

If that's how it proved to be, then accuracy could be lowered and/or recoil could be upped. Simple fix, my friend.
    • Up x 1
  11. Hagestol

Actually no - it is supposed to be over the top. Or it wouldn't be any point would there ;)
  12. EViLMinD

SMGs would clearly become OP, so why suggest it (unless just being silly for some reason). Not gonna happen. Dual 50/60 rnd mag smgs would be stupid unfair. The devs will never go for it. This should be obvious.

One-handed pistols, however, could be worked in. Focus on that.
  13. Canaris

What did you just say, Pistols akimbo for LA you utter...... GENUIS! I love it. SOE make it so
    I'm going to tweet this to Jimmy the wise ;)
  14. Hagestol

One class with shield, a rocket laucher and a heavy weapon will clearly be OP. Invisible enemies with SMGs will clearly be OP. Nimble aircraft with rockets that are anti-everything will clearly be OP.

But it isn't clearly. Why does it have to be OP?

I can easily make a point of dual commissioners being CLEARLY OP. But I'll be wrong, because it is all in the numbers.
  15. Canaris

you could always make it for the semi-auto versions of faction specific pistols if people think twin Commishes or UB would be too nasty?
  16. Hagestol

The VS would rage over the moon if we got dual beamers. Our pistols are terrible.
  17. Canaris

I thought the beamer was already slated for an overhaul?
  18. Hagestol

I really hope they make it decent. Everyone I know uses the commissioner now because well, the VS sidearms are terrible.
    And dual wielding pistols is kinda uninspired. Unless they have a huge CoF while flying advantage then I really don't see the appeal of it.

small tidbit: The beamers should be solid beams with the dps of other guns and duration equal to emptying mags of other factions guns. Because why not. We need some difference between the factions ;)
    • Up x 1
  19. Canaris

Set phas... um beamers to torture! :D
    • Up x 1
  20. Boroming

don't really care about dual wield.
    instead i like to see 2 change:
    - allow LA to chose 2 different type of primary weapon (removing the pistol), with a bit less ammo for both
    - allow LA to use granade slot for c4, freeing the medkit

LA overhaul done
    • Up x 1