DirectX 9 in 2013

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by ReactionDT, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Cl1mh4224rd

I'm completely baffled by your comments about this. "Multiquoting" is only superior in that it's the correct way of responding to multiple points.
  2. sagolsun

64 vs 32 - more memory doesn't equal better. Sure, it allows for easy caching of data, which is always helpful - like textures and models. It also allows for precomputing some stuff but making those specific optimizations where you have a 500mb cache on one machine while the other does it in realtime... that's a mess.

Merely switching to 64 doesn't increase performance.

DirectX though I'm baffled. I'm sure they had a reason for this but I have no idea why. Whenever I do realtime 3d I just use Unity and my days of directx were back when people used DirectDraw, but d3d11 seems much more streamlined. Maybe it's because their guys are dx9 experts and they needed to throw this product out the door like yesterday and there was no time to learn a new API? Maybe the new high-level additions aren't really useful to them and they thought they'd do it better and more optimized job themselves?

PS2 already requires an overclocked high-end rig to run it anyway so DX11 would be just as much of an entry barrier as the lack of wheelchair mounts on a ski-lift.