[Suggestion] Directive/Alert Weapons for DB Cash

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Heini, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Heini

There are basically two types of players in most online games and they are:

1. People with more free time than money
    2. People with jobs who have more money than time

Planetside seems to be oriented around the 1. and seems to have forgotten about the people that don't have the time to grind for Directive and Alert weapons but have money because they have jobs, or maybe someone just wants to get a new weapon and doesn't want to rely on RNG or disrupt the balance of the game and queue for the winning faction every alert. Many people with jobs may only have 1 or 2 hours per day and would have to grind for months just to get a single weapon but might still be really interested in them but simply don't have the time to unlock them and by the time they do unlock them they might have lost interest in them or perhaps the game itself completely because they feel left out.

I suggest that premium members should be able to buy Directive and Alert weapons for DayBreak Cash.

This would benefit everyone because people with little time still get to enjoy weapons that they would perhaps otherwise never unlock, the game would make more money and overall more people would get a premium membership which furtger supports the game.
    It's a win-win situation and the group of people with more time than money wouldn't lose anything and could still unlock their weapons as usual and the game would overall become fairer to more groups of people.

This might be for another suggestion but being able to buy certs with DB Cash would effectively have the same benefits without any downsides and would make a lot of people happy.
  2. Tragabuches

Pls, no more pay to win or easy/money way to get rewards
    • Up x 2
  3. vonRichtschuetz

I'm not a fan of reward systems with too much RNG. However I dislike the widespread philosophies of "everyone needs to get every reward" or "just buy it" even more.

Obviously I'd like to own the alert reward weapons (1/3 currently), but from a gameplay perspective they probably don't make much of a difference. Keep in mind you have to own the original weapon, to be able to receive an alert reward weapon.

Directive rewards shouldn't be purchaseable with cash in any case. It would completely take away the rewarding feeling of owning one.

On a similar topic: I would love to see more achievement based rewards. My outfit and I had a ton of fun doing the knife kills for the Nightshade, eventhough none of us usually play that way. I always enjoy the events on Halloween and Christmas.
    • Up x 1
  4. TR5L4Y3R

absolutely NOT ! ..
    ... rewards are that .. rewards .. why should the whales be able to cyrcumvent such rewards just by straight up buying them while everyone else has to grind 5 weapons of a class like a madman (kills with supressionweapons!) to get even just one of these guns .. i call total bul lsh it on this as you screw over any player on present and past for going through that stupid level of grind .. and add worst you allow paying players to get potentionaly powerful weapons that not only are pay to HUGELY skip but may as well be pay 2 win as well ..
    so no .. screw this and burn this idea at the deepest and hottest abyss ...

i´d rather have them change directives as well as ribbons/medals to be aquired by dealing damage ...
    such rewards should be given through natural gameplay and not forcing people to play deliberatly inefficient to get a directive done ...
  5. vonRichtschuetz

Wrel suggested in one of his videos years ago: auraxing weapons by XP gained through them. I'd like to see that.
  6. Liewec123

I think that they should remain as an ultra rare drop for people with 90% alert participation who own the standard versions,
    (As it is now) BUT I think EVERYONE should be included,

if someone's faction is getting hopelessly zerged but they stick with it for the whole alert, they should be rewarded with the same small chance of the weapons as the people who shamelessly switched to the winning faction at the start.

Enough showering the shameless 4th factioners with rewards while throwing the guys who stuck with their hopeless underpop 10 iso and a pat on the head...
    • Up x 1
  7. TRspy007

While I would like the alert weapons to be accessible to everyone, you shouldn't be able to buy a directive weapon. The point of the directive weapon is to show off your accomplishments, since most of them are bad copies of the default anyways. Simply unlocking directive weapons with DBC would just take away what little meaning these weapons had in the first place. However i agree that everyone should be able to buy alert weapons, since the lottery system is simply unfair and the player has no way to actually earn the weapon apart from luck.
  8. Heini

What TRspy007 said makes sense, being able to buy a weapon that is a reward for grinding may not be a good idea because you can influence that and decide to work harder for it. On the other hand the alert weapons are just purely RNG and completely random and you can't influence it in any way, especially if you play NSO and can't even do the dirty-switching-to-winning-side abuse. I feel like we should be at leat be able to buy these RNG weapons but since they are still special I would assume they would be DB Cash weapons but maybe not.
  9. TR5L4Y3R

that would not change anything regarding infantry primaries and most secondaries cause their xp gain is still bound to kills

xpgain needs to be based on doing damage
  10. Campagne

Well it would allow for bonus EXP income from things like headshots, assists, and killstreak ticks as well as standard kills.
  11. TR5L4Y3R

that's rather why i went with damage than xpgain, otherwise it kinda creates this rich get richer situation
    with xpboosts
    • Up x 1
  12. vonRichtschuetz

I immediately can think of three problems with rewarding anything purely by damage dealt.

1. It's an incentive to not kill an already helpless target immediately to squeeze out some additional reward, resulting in a situation where you know you're going to get killed anyway getting drawn out.
    2. It's an incentive for even more "useless damage spam", as if there wasn't a lot of it anyway.
    3. Super exploitable.
  13. Pacster3

I don't really see 1. happening to the amount it would matter. Not during normal battle at least. Maybe when it comes to repairable PMB or hex turrets(you'd have to exclude those).
    2. and 3. are the real deal breakers tho.