DEVS: we need spawn changes asap!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by OldMaster80, May 1, 2015.

1. OldMaster80

Dear devs,

I'd like to stress once again the need for new respawn rules. Current setup does not make any sense, and it's harming the game more than ever. Instead of being a tool to get in the action quickly and make easier to keep team mates together, it's getting exploited in many ways.
    Once again: WE HAVE A HUGE GAME DESIGN PROBLEM HERE. I think there is no need to tell how many threads we have on this forum complaining about it.

Just a few things I have seen in the last hour:
    • Players assaulting a Tech Plant in a Sunderer with Gate Diffuser. Just before to pass the gate everyone but the Squad Leader drops the Sunderer, in case there are landmines behind the barrier. Once everyone sees the Sunderer didn't explod they press Redeploy to teleport inside the base...
    • Players wanting to hack vehicles terminal but they're not Infiltrators and there is no terminal around: they press redeploy so they can switch to another class, do the job, then back to their previous class.
    • A contested base not connected to other friendly territories but it cannot be captured because every time we attempted to assault VS were redeploying so much they continuously outnumbered us. This went on for more than 1 hour. I know a change is coming for this but for the sake of god push it on live server ASAP.
    • Infiltratrors that get spotted and hide just to redeploy away so they cannot be killed.
    • In general my Squad Leader called for redeploy like 15 times in 1 hour. Because that's the way one can win alerts. Not with strategy and logistics: just redeploy as much as possible so you will keep as much territory as possible under control.
    • Still no need for trasnport vehicles. Why wasting nanites to get a vehicle and cooperate with faction mates, when you can teleport to the next target for free, in 10 seconds? Regarding this it's also worth mentioning again the Valkyrie is still a huge fail as transport vehicle. Holy god, when will you learn that thing is too fragile to achieve anything in this game?
    I've been with you since the very beginning of Planetside 1 and I think I am the biggest fanboy of Planetside 2. I've been suggesting and discussing here for 2,5 years, finding bugs, submitting tickets and trying to help. But seeing the game is dumbed down like this just depressed me.
    I appreciate the coming updates but the game can't go on like this, should acknowledge we have a problem with redeploy and start to do something to fix it.
  2. HadesR

Find that's a bigger issue in AMP stations .. The old style ones where there is no way to access the point apart from through the shields ..

Tis weird how a vehicle in a no deploy zone suddenly spills out squad after squad ..

I'd like to see no deploy zones also restrict spawning on vehicle or squad lead ..
  3. OldMaster80

If you remember players have repored this possible exploit months ago before redeploy to squad sunderers had been even introduced.
    What has been done to fix it? Absolutely nothing. This change went online regardless the feedback.

Redeploy, Squad Redeploy, Instant action, Spawn Beacons, No Deploy Zone... we need a big overhaul of this. Imho this comes before new weapons and attachments.
  4. Ballto21

Sorry
  5. lothbrook

Redeploy needs a 10 minute timer, and the reinforcements needed spawn needs to be removed, if you want to defend a base you should have to travel there, not puke out a 100 guys on a whim.
  6. maxkeiser

Don't agree with most of these suggestions/complaints.

There should be a few (more) limits, but on the whole people should certainly be free to redeploy back to WG or to bases nearby whenever they choose.
  7. prodo123

That's the whole point of GSDs.

That's the whole point of infantry terminals and AMS.

That's just you and a bunch of other people wasting time and resources.

That's just you not carrying a darklight.

That's the whole point of the alerts and players using the most efficient, strategic and the really only viable way to achieve timely defense.

That's just you not using Galaxies and airdrops correctly for attacking bases.
    • Up x 1
  8. HadesR

It's point is to get a vehicle past the shields .. So yes GSD is working correctly .. It's the squad / vehicle spawn into no deploy zones that could maybe do with changing
  9. OldMaster80

1) GSD is meant to pass gates and that's fine. The problem redeploy allows to ignore the No Deploy Zone. And it lets all the team bypass the gate even if they are not on board when the Sunderer passes.
    2) Oh really? Thanks for the lesson. In case you didn't notice redeploy allows people to change class / loadout without needing a terminal, and without the need for AMS to be deployed.
    3) Just me? Guess why this has already been changed in PTS and redeploy to a non-linked base is no longer possible.
    4) Since when Darklights can spot behind corners? Redeploy is just beind used a system to keep a high KDR: once you're in troubles take cover and press U. Yay!
    5) Too bad one doesn't need to be efficient or a master of strategy: just zerg using the magic teleporter. It's not a secret the factions winning most of alerts are just those who can roll the biggest platoons and use redeploy at will. Not only (as you said) redeploy is the most efficient way to secure bases: it's so efficient it completely makes transport vehicles disappear.
    6) We do, but in many cases it's not worth. Why spending 2 minutes and taking the risk to be destroyed, when it's possible to teleport kms away for free and start the battle from behind the shield of a spawn room?

A solution could be make people redeploy to closest base to the one that is under attack.

I've never said players shouldn't be able to redeploy at all. I'm saying the teleporter button went too far. One thing is giving players a tool to get in action quickly and stick with the team: that's a good thing and imho it should remain.
    But right now Redeploy is magic button that moves platoons from a corner to other of the continent, makes players zerg bases in a few seconds without having to roll transport vehicles, it allows to ignore the no deploy zone and bases gates, it gives a safe escape from fights.
    How can we expect to have some depth and possibly some metagame in the future, as long the game works like this? Planetside 1 was way different from this crap. And also this game used to follow different rules in the beginning.
  10. Haquim

Mostly agreement from my side.
    I don't think the ability to change class by redeploying is a problem, and neither do I think redeploying to avoid getting killed is a problem, save for those damned drifter bail-assaults that I hate with a passion.
    I do not think the squad spawn is a problem per se, but it should not be able to circumvent the no-deploy zones.

The magic teleporter is simply to powerful, and hitting "U" or whatever key you've bound it to, and overruning the attacker, destroying their spawnpoints before repeating that to save the next base is the way to win any alert. Which makes even ATTEMPTING some kind of strategy totally pointless. Diversion attacks, flanking moves? Destroying assets? Redeploy and this farce of a resource system fixes it all.

I think all bases need a couple control panels that Infiltrators can hack. When one is hacked redeploying TO this base is not possible for 30 seconds or so, and it can't be hacked again for 2 minutes. If an enemy infiltrator hacks it back, the "no redeploy" time gets shortened by 30 seconds, and the terminal is safe for 2 minutes again.
    Gives Infiltrators something to do, makes people actually WORK for their magical instant-reinforcements and makes it possible to prevent magical instant-reinforcements. Seems like a win all-around.
    One could even add a bit MORE strategic meaning to that - getting a control panel hacked could increase the RESPAWN time by a second for 2 minutes. Doesn't sound much, but will be noticeable. Hacking the panel back will not only FIX the "debuff" but will transfer it to the attackers for the next 2 minutes.

Maybe im thinking overly complicated, but there are so many great things the devs could do to make this game more than a gigantic team deathmatch - if they only have the creativity and the COURAGE to ******* risk being DIFFERENT.
  11. OldMaster80

Pretty much this.
    Redeploy is by far the strongest tactic of this game. It's free, it does not require skill, and allows to bypass most of enemy perimeters. And it makes all the other strategies basically pointless.
  12. FBVanu

13. FBVanu

that editing did not work.. my post got completely screwed.. sorry about that.
  14. Towie

Yes the VS use this tactic very often - especially during alerts (on Cobalt at least) - and it makes them very effective. If i'm playing NC or TR, I hesitate to join the alert continent as so few NC/TR leaders actually talk let alone organise.

I often thought to myself how brutal NC in particular could be if they were more organised. I used to imagine how brutal the Vanguard would be if they had secondary gunners more often - and guess what, at the moment that seems to be happening (active Enforcer or Halberd Vannies seem quite common these days, and boy are they tough - I know - I run one !)

Still, the tactic is available to all - I have no idea why all don't use it though. Organisation is definitely OP...
  15. prodo123

"All the team" is a giant exaggeration. It's 12 people at most for one Sunderer worth of people, or one for the squad. And it has to have a driver inside at all times for it to work, anyway. You thus need 4 Sunderers inside a Tech Plant for your entire platoon to get inside.

Or just let the lead take a taxi to the base and throw down a beacon.

I have not seen a squad use this tactic since a year ago. It was a huge fad back then, especially when you could stick the Sunderer halfway in and use it as a bridge. Nowadays we have found better ways of getting in enemy bases.

You could just walk back to the Sunderer if it's deployed. Redeploying just saves a couple seconds.
    Otherwise, again, you need a driver inside at all times and be in the same squad as him. Sucks for the guy driving it. And this is why I don't see this strategy being used often enough for it to be a concern.

Redeploy also allows you to switch classes should you choose the wrong class to spawn as, e.g. MAX to LA bug. And the big feature that infantry has that vehicles don't right now is the ability to switch classes and loadouts. Take advantage of it; otherwise, it remains a necessary evil for you.

And PTS isn't Live. Be satisfied with the fact that it's in the works, and work with what you have right now instead of complaining about it in the forums. Until the feature is implemented in Live, yes the people attacking those bases are wasting time and resources (unless it's strategic like forcing a lot of population to stay in that specific map). C'est la vie.

Isn't there a bug that lets darklight pass through walls?
    Or you know, actually walk there and find them. Unless they're Stalkers, they can't stay cloaked for 10 seconds. Sniff them out, it's not that hard. But this difference between you and me is just a minor issue within the topic, so let's put this one aside for now.

I find the fact that you can log off instantaneously to be a more abusable tool to preserve KDR. If anything, DBG should start with that.

If your house across the country is on fire, would you take the bus home or a plane home?

Redeploy and transport vehicles are absolutely necessary for attacking bases. It doesn't matter how long it takes to get in the Valk/Galaxy for a drop as long as you attack in a timely manner. But for defense, even if we get rid of redeployside people would use ESFs to get to those bases in a pinch rather than take a Sunderer. As long as you're in the landlocked hex you should be able to deploy in the spawn room. One way or another, troop transport vehicles will remain too slow for effectiveness in defense.

Why take the risk to use airdrops for defense? Maybe you're completely locked in the spawn room. 96+ people in a spawn room against a giant zerg camp won't do much. A platoon dropping on point behind the zerg and wiping them out, yeah that works fine.

And how did the 96+ zerg end up camping the spawn room? Transport vehicles and AMS. Because you can't redeployside across the continent to an AMS unless you're in a squad. Even then the squad leader has to be physically present in the map or the owner stay in the driver's seat.

The strategy portion isn't just going full redeployside without much thought. It's deciding which bases to reinforce through redeploying in a timely manner to respond to enemy attacks. If most of your population is on the other side of the continent, like you say, and a giant enemy zerg hits you on the side, you need to be able to respond within 2-3 minutes for the first base. Otherwise you will get steamrolled as the zerg picks up momentum.

Try driving a Sunderer from warpgate, or even the center of the map, to one of its extremities, especially not on Indar where you can go offroad. It takes at least 5 minutes to even get to the base, not to mention even more time for people to get out of your vehicle and counterattack.

And what would that accomplish other than delaying them getting to the base under attack by 10 seconds? One way or another, without reinforcement requests you have to bunny hop or take a taxi or use squad deploy to get there fast. Otherwise you're stuck to slow moving vehicles which are not very efficient and will likely lose the base for you.

Most of your issues seem to be with the defense side of redeployside. I get what you're saying. I get pissed too when I'm suddenly outnumbered 2 to 1 with the last 30 seconds of a base cap. You could call that receiving reinforcements, but if we start depending on support vehicles for transportation rather than spawn logistics, you would slow down the pace of the game. What good are reinforcements when you already lost the base?

And the basic fact of a MMOFPS remains true here as well: Anything insignificant, when used en masse, is very powerful. One or two people added to a fight isn't much, but when a full platoon does it it seems OP, just like Lancers, Ravens, lockdown Prowlers, HE spam, whatever. Everything in the game benefits from strength in numbers, and removing a major game mechanic because of this simple fact will do the game more harm than good.

Obviously, strength in numbers also holds true for redeploy: while it's devastating when done in a group, it's an indispensable, or necessary rather, tool for new players and lone wolves to get from one fight to another. The game emphasizes nonstop around-the-clock combat; PS2 would get a very bad reputation if it took 60 seconds to jump to a better or more viable fight, seconds that you could have spent contributing to the fight right away. Lone wolves would find it bothersome, which I don't care about since it's a team game. But new players would find the game unbearably boring to spam U even more or wait 5 minutes to get from one base to another.

If you would suggest ways to address the issue sufficiently rather than complain about it over and over, the community as well as the devs would get benefit more from this thread, and I would enjoy debating with you more as well.
  16. OldCuban

Sorry OldMaster, but I see absolutely NOTHING wrong with any of your issues.

All of those can be countered with a well coordinated squad.

Welcome to Whinerside!
  17. FateJH

Actually, assuming a full platoon, you can do it with two Sunderers by eschewing two people. By way of example, Alpha Leader pulls the Sunderer and 11 from Bravo Squad get in, including the Bravo Leader. One GSD later, Bravo piles out in a no-deploy zone, and the other 11 from Alpha Squad squad-spawn in on the Sunderer. We have used a 12-person transport to mobilize 23 people in one move. Two Sunderers can move 46 in this manner. The missing 2 people can find their own transport or use Spawn Beacons (that's why the other squad's leader got in).

We're just lucky you can't change Sunderer squad-Spawn affinity depending on which Squad Leader is doing the driving. You could theoretically move all but 4 people in a full platoon with just one Sunderer.

Edit: of course, I'm aware this only works to move almost all of Bravo once. You don't need to bring it up as if I had forgotten.
  18. Alan Kalane

[IMG]