(Dev's please review this.) How PS2 Works and Where it can be Optimized

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Kitsune94, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Kitsune94

I don't think I've played Sins of Solar Empire.
  2. bkanga

Are you ******* kidding me?! A new dev team?! This team created a first-of-its-kind game that puts other games to shame. They are using a new engine and trying their hardest to improve the game experience. You think this game needs a new dev team? - make a better game yourself.
  3. Kitsune94

It's not a first-of-its-kind by a long shot. Many games have attempted this before. As for making one yourself, I've been writing an engine the past 4 years and am close to releasing a tech-demo within the next. Now, may I please ask that we refrain from fighting with each-other in my thread.
  4. Kitsune94

My original assumption of the T4Lib references I had seen inside of planetside2.exe lead me to believe they we're using code generation. This however is incorrect as I have found. It would seam that T4Lib, in this case, is a scripting implementation for macros and scripted events.

T4Lib.dll appears to be another file compiled with debug symbols.

Will update this with more information. From what I can tell so far. The internal scripting language uses .json and parts of a markup language. I've began a .txt file with a list of commands and possible syntax.
    • Up x 2
  5. Hatamoto

Any news on the debugging activity?
  6. Sir Kane

They use T4 on strings fetched from the localization files, such as "Deployable cannot be placed [*reason*]". T4 replaces "[*reason*]" with the actual reason in this case.

And string IDs point to data in the localization files by generating the lookup2 hash of "Global.Text.<string ID goes here>" so like "Global.Text.9751" -> 1125724761 -> "1125724761 ucdt Sunderer: Passive Systems".
    • Up x 1
  7. MurderBunneh

I don't understand the technical side but I will say that if I can get a 10-25 fps boost from turning off the ui that is obviously can area that an be tweaked. If they only allow the ui to be customized and let you choose what to turn off instead of all or nothing that would be a start.
  8. Kitsune94

Confirmed. Though what sparked my interest most in it was T4Macro.cpp and the fact that FreeRealms, the game, features an in-game macro system also using T4Lib. Unfortunately I'm limiting myself now to only peeking at PS2 from time to time and lessening the amount of community support I've been posting due to some of the responses from dev's in other threads and that I'm now back to working on Revenge of The Cats: Ethernet.
  9. Maeldun

Ok so this thread/conversation occured roughly 3-4 months ago.

Where does the game stand now? Have they improved much?

I'm a diehard Planetside 1 fan and I'm eager to play the sequel but not sure if I want to become involved if its going to be a love/hate relationship.
  10. UberBonisseur

Interesting bump.

Wonder if a SOE code monkey can get into it.
  11. Navoletti

GAME CRASH CONTANTLY EACH 30 MINUTES NOW!!THIS HAPPEN EACH TIME OF YOU CHARACTER DIE AND NEED RESPAWN IN A BASE OR SUNDERER.

SOE PLEASE STOP OF ADD MORE CONTENT AND FIX FIRST THE PROBLEMS OF THE GAME!!
  12. WalrusJones

My... I am quite shocked with the games code... It seems... Messy.

5 formats.....
    *Shivers*
  13. Maeldun

Yeah well the point of the bump was to see how things have improved/not improved over the last 3-4 months.

The OP was originally talking about the games engine. He may or may not be correct, I don't know. I was under the impression however that the game was getting a big patch around that time, and maybe a few more have come since.

So how's things now? Judging by Navoletti, sounds like they are pumping out the content regardless of a ****** engine.

Sigh. If this is true, then SOE if you really want our money that bad, then redo/fix the engine so that ppl can play it. A happy player base has a looser wallet (look at league of legends).
  14. abstractconcept

Kitsune94, could you post this thousand line text file? I for one would be very interested. :)
  15. Maeldun

So how did that January patch go?