Devs: Magrider Issues

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Wolfborne, May 20, 2019.

1. Kevin

Just add a damage system under the Magrider. Like it has some sort of nanite disrupting energy field to protect against these harassers your'e afraid of
  2. Wolfborne

I am well aware of what dps, ttk, etc., are. I am also aware that in a tank vs tank battle, dps is the LEAST accurate judge of killing potential, because the damage is not a constant stream that is measured in seconds. Instead, the damage is measured in SHOTS, with tanks maneuvering, using cover, etc. Therefore, it is the damage per shot that counts the most. In that regard, the Magrider is dead last. If you, as a tank driver, are sitting still while taking shots, you're doing it wrong.

Yes, the Vanguard may have a slower reload time (0.5 seconds) but when you factor in maneuvering and using cover, that becomes a moot point. By the same token, the Vanguard does 100 more damage per shot (where it counts the most) and it has 1,000 more health and the shield. Are you getting it yet?

If not, then allow me to educate you...

If both fire at the same time, and subsequently as soon as they have reloaded and land their shots, the damage break down is as follows using AP without reload certs:

Magrider
    0 seconds = 750 dmg
    3.25 seconds = 1,500 dmg
    6.50 seconds = 2,250 dmg
    9.75 seconds = 3,000 dmg
    13.00 seconds = 3,750 dmg
    16.25 seconds = 4,500 dmg
    19.50 seconds = 5,250 dmg & Vanguard destroyed

Vanguard
    0 seconds = 850 dmg
    3.75 seconds = 1,700 dmg
    7.50 seconds = 2,550 dmg
    11.25 seconds = 3,400 dmg
    15.00 seconds = 4,250 dmg and Magrider destroyed

The last time that I checked, 15 seconds is 4.5 seconds faster than 19.5 seconds. Also, it takes two additional shots for the Magrider to destroy the Vanguard (hits to the front, as if facing off).

Please show me where the Magrider is superior using the table above...

This does not factor in the top gun, or the Vanguard's shield. For most Magrider drivers, they will use the Halberd, since the Mag is good at peek-a-boo strafing. The Halberd is available to all three factions, so, you can factor it out of the equation.

What, the Aphelion? It sucks for peek-a-boo, and is really only good up close. The Saron? Yes, it may be better at medium ranges, but, it has harsh upward recoil and you most likely won't land all of your shots in peek-a-boo.

So, unless caught out in the open where the Vanguard has a faster ttk, more health, and a shield, the scenario then becomes duking it out at range, and using cover. Guess what? The Vanguard can fire over the top of cover with both guns. The Magrider can't. It has to expose at least 50% of its body in order to fire the main gun from the side of cover.

Do you finally get it?
    • Up x 5
  3. Whiteagle

Honestly I'm still loving the idea of a "Mag Jump" due to the fun factor of a Roomba Tank pulling off a Highlander Burial and Goomba Stomping an over-eager Vulcan Harasser...

Ironic considering the Magrider is half the reason 1/2 MBTs are a thing in this game in the first place...
  4. InexoraVC

That is why more maneuverability required :) At least more magburner.
  5. AllRoundGoodGuy

Did you just say Vanguard and maneuverability in the same sentence?
    • Up x 1
  6. Wolfborne

Yes, because like the Prowler, the Vanguard can move forward and backward behind cover, such as rocks, trees, buildings, etc. In some situations, only the very top of the Vanguard or Prowler can be seen, making it much harder to hit, but, those two MBTs can fire both guns over the top of that cover. The Magrider can't. It has to expose at least 50% of its body to fire from the side of cover.
    • Up x 1
  7. InexoraVC

I don't think daybreak devs read this thread.
    Anyway the following features can be considered as player's daydream according to the messages above:
    - damage zone below the Magrider because of the need to stomp infantry and vehicles
    - more strafing ability because of the need to "expose at least 50% of its body to fire from the side of cover"
    - more rotation speed because of the need to rotate whole tank to aim enemy
    - more magburner because of the need to rush in and retreat while having the weak back and no shields
  8. Nody

I'd question if you ever played PS1 beyond Vanu now; the big advantage in PS1 of the Magrider was not floating on water (which was only situationally useful) but the fact it was the only MBT in PS1 were the driver had a gun with an option to have a gunner up top. NC had a driver and a gunner (who switched between main gun and machine gun) and TR had 2 gunners (one main gun, one for the machinegun which was never used except as a transport seat). This meant Vanu could field a lot more MBTs due to only needing 1 person per tank vs 2 for TR or NC (since their gunners did nothing) or they had to downgrade to Lightening tanks instead.
  9. Wolfborne

Small correction: Magriders have 5,000 health and Vanguards have 6,000. The numbers have been adjusted to reflect that. The Vanguard still wins the slug fest 4 seconds faster, and with 2 fewer shots.
    • Up x 1
  10. Demigan

- Damage done below Magrider is done for all the wrong reasons. Enemies below you is a non-issue unless you are truly so bad at driving a Magrider that you can't drive off a tank. Getting an enemy vehicle beneath you is a tactic that allows you to get behind the opponent, if they willingly move below you it's an act of desperation... Or they recognize someone who doesn't know how to press the WASD keys to get off of an enemy tank.

- The Magrider has to expose 50% of it's front to make sure their canon can fire
    [IMG]

While a Prowler and Vanguard have to expose 50% of their side when peeking around cover to have their gun potruding out:
    [IMG]
    look, the turret is even behind the middle line, meaning this Prowler needs to expose more than 50% of it's turret to peek a corner

same for the Vanguard, and the length of both these tanks is a lot more surface area to expose than the front of a Magrider.
    Yet the Vanu brigade that has the spandex too tight around their heads as a child seems to think the Magrider needs more speed to peek corners? Are you guys completely nuts?

- You already have the highest rotationspeed of any ground vehicle, and you are almost impossible to shoot in the rear for any length of time. The fact that people think the Magrider is somehow easier to shoot in the rear with a Harasser is ludicrous.

- All vehicles have a weak backside so that's not an argument, and none of the vehicles have a shield on the backside. Now a Magrider could choose to do it the exact way the Vanguard and Prowler have to do it. Which is simply the slow backing up with their front facing the enemy because turning takes too long and exposes their backside. Yet Magriders choose to turn, because they turn fast enough to make the higher forwards velocity worthwhile and they take the risk of a rear-shot worth it... And if it doesn't make the risk of a rear-shot worth it, why the hell are you doing it and then complaining about this possibility. You should just back up like a Vanguard or Prowler does, if I recall correctly your reverse velocity is even higher than that of the Vanguard and Prowler!

So... None of the reasons you put forth hold any water, at all.

Ah yes, the good old "let's assume a completely unrealistic scenario with the express purpose of manipulating the numbers in my favor" routine.

As mentioned already the Magrider exposes less surface area to a Vanguard or Prowler peeking around a corner, meaning they are harder to hit. They also strafe, making them harder to hit. The surface area also reduces immensely on the sides of the magrider, meaning that strafing reduces the hitbox size the enemy will be firing at unless they lead your vehicle, which means that changing direction while strafing can make them miss shots. The Magrider in a peekaboo fight also exposes his front armor rather than the side armor that the other two tanks expose.

This all means that assuming a scenario where the Magrider is facing a Vanguard/Prowler from the front and both have 100% accuracy is laughable, the Magrider pilot would need to be an absolute idiot or the Vanguard/Prowler an ace with extremely good aim (or they need to be standing 2 feet from each other and the Magrider doesn't make a move to get to the side and rear). And with all that, your scenario presented above is completely bullcrap.
  11. OneShadowWarrior

The magrider works decent when your opponent is in front of you. No 360 gunner as driver is horrible.

Once you bump into something or have a friendly tap you, it’s like bumper cars and you go sliding all over the place. If you have lots of room to move on flat terrain, it performs well, but in bigger battles with so many moving vehicles it can get dicey.

They also goofed making rear armor weak instead of just improving anti vehicular weapons, because when your turn to run with speed for repairs, it’s a death sentence.
  12. blackboemmel

• Up x 5
  13. FLHuk

Loved that vid :)

I often read these threads and think "what game are these guys talking about?"

That vid totally explained my experience, pain and joy of fighting with and against maggies, thank you.
  14. pnkdth

Best post in the thread. Genuinely helpful, no condescending nonsense, and simply ways of improving in your Magrider + many of those tips are solid for vehicle play in general (or when facing Maggies).
    • Up x 1
  15. Valklyn

The normal speed of a Magrider (with racer) is more slow than a Vanguard (racer) who is the big fat tank of the game.
    http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2019/22/5/1559307826-vanguard.jpg
    So, the maggie can't run away...
    The maggie can't win against a fight against Prowler or Vanguard with his poor speed + ability of 3 sec.
    In more, if the others tanks use barrage or shield, the mag die before to do the half of damage of them.
    Also, the maggie can die easier against harrassers if they rush bellow the frame.
    = Maggie is the weakest of tanks.
    With racer, Vanguard and Prowler can go on the hills, it's not a really feature of the maggie.
    And finally, it's easy with the aerien to kill a Mag because he is slow, and he has no protection like a shield.
    • Up x 1
  16. Wolfborne

Just so you know, whenever I see your name, I don't bother reading your post. I skip it completely. All you do is tell others how wrong they are, based on YOUR opinion. However, your opinion happens to be wrong quite often. Don't bother replying; I'm not reading it.
  17. Demigan

Considering Blackboemels video proves my "opinion", I think you should seriously reconsider your way of life. The last time I read about your type of willful ignorance those people started burning books.

Also interesting to know: how does this person know that I "only write opinions" if he doesn't bother to read my posts...? It shouldn't be hard to figure out who is more likely to tell the truth with just that statement of yours.
    • Up x 1
  18. InexoraVC

Troll detected ! He does play PS2 by posting crap.
    But here we're talking how to change Magrider to make it more pilot skill dependent and less situation dependent.
    P.S. I love to "magride". The video above shows how to use terrain to obtain advantage.
  19. Demigan

Ah so you deny that a Magrider front is smaller than a Vanguard/Prowler side. Or that a Vanguard/Prowler turret is placed much more to the rear than the front meaning they need to expose more of their already large side armor to get a shot off?

And no we aren't talking about making a Magrider more skill dependent, we are talking about making it less skill independent. Just look at the suggestions! Extreme speed combined with extreme maneuverability combined with a painfield that murders anyone below you already means that you can kill anyone by getting on top of them, which would be exceedingly easy.

So reviewing just your denial of pictures, which I provided for those of you who seem to have trouble reading, you are trolling yourself.
  20. Brooder69

Magrider is weak and cannot win in a 1v1 situation if both the drivers are equally skilled ,heck it cannot even take out a Vulcan harraser. Whenever I pull out a vehicle against NC or TR zerg I pull out an ap lightening that does a far better job than a magrider . Please do compare the ratios of MBT to lightening in VS zergs , the ratio is way less than NC or TR , if it does not prove my point I don't know what will .

Please make the game more balanced , VS is always lacking in ground to ground combat that is due to incompetent and weak main battle TANK. The meaning of the word tank is it should be able to take some damage but this tank feels like it's made out of paper and the aiming mechanics are horrible, immovable turret with lower health equals death.

Anybody ignoring this fact is probably having way too much fun wrecking magriders and wants them to stay the same.

I can make a bold hypothesis that a magrider will lose 10/10 times against a prowler or a vanguard if both drivers are equally skilled.

Please test it out with your friend, it is more true in the aspect if both the tanks are base models.

A prowler or a vanguard is not solely based on their unique abilities but a magrider needs to be fully kitted to be even competent .
    • Up x 1