Devs aren't engaging with the community

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Javelin, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Hades Serpent

Try to remember you're dealing with a giant monolith of a corporation, not an indie dev. At indie devs, when someone wants to te the community something, they ask the guy beside them and probably get a "yeah, sure, go nuts, this **** is cool beans". At SOE, I suspect the process of saying anything in public involves lawyers, NDAs, and more than a few bureaucrats.
    • Up x 2
  2. LightningWolfTigrBer

I meant to make a thread about this, but I'm lazy so I'll just post in yours.

Sony being the *********** I understand it to be, my best guess is that they have some sort of policy regarding their forums barring their staff from using them casually. Maybe all forum postings require proof reading from a supervisor, maybe even managerial approval, so then the employees turn to sites like Twitter to avoid the bureaucratic red-tape. I'm just guessing of course, but I can't think of any other reason why I don't see Higby and other PS2 devs using these forums more often.

I guess Riot has spoiled me a little, as a I find myself wishing that more game developers would adopt their community relations policies. There employees are actually encouraged to take time out of their work day and post on the forums, and you see anyone from the the art staff all the way up to Morello, the lead designer post daily.
    • Up x 1
  3. Sedisp

No it doesn't.
  4. Hosp

He fully certed Forum Luker to 10. No amount of darklight and radar benefits are going to reveal him to you if he doesn't want to be revealed. Of course, 10 galaxies falling on your head is a sure sign he's there as well :confused:
  5. Javelin

I put 100 certs into flashlights, and you're telling me it won't do shiz? :D
  6. Rhinzual

Got a couple simple questions for you Higby.

1) When will the Infiltrator Low-setting cloak bug get fixed? Pretty sure it's a bug, but it does affect the balance state of Infiltrators right now.

2) Is the Resist Shield bug (duration et al not getting better) going to be fixed soon?

3) Are Infiltrators going to a) get the Stalker cloak as it was a (locked and un-testable) ability in Beta and b) will Infiltrators be able to cert up Anti-Materiel Ammunition to give them some semblance of Anti-Armor? I'd expect the trade-off to be reduced damage against infantry and require multiple shots against heavier targets, increasing the risk of being spotted and sent to the nearest spawn site.
  7. InZanity

Actually i would like them to stay away from the forums, so they have a less chance of being influenced by the "nerf this/that" and other pointless threads
  8. TheEvilBlight

Jeez, I think people won't be happy until Higby posts "Higby was here" on every thread he reads...
  9. WalrusJones

I really dislike this attitude.
    "I care more about nobody else having there way then me having my own."

Its kinda fecal, to me.
    • Up x 3
  10. skull4squadron

Well on the forum that i go to most of the time kzgamers.com.
    We had a long time friend that used to work for Guerrilla Games.
    When he was working for them he was told he couldn't really go to the forum and chat with us . he was basiclly forbidden.
    As i hope some of you know GG is part of the Sony umbrella.
    so i would think the ppl in SOE are under the same type of rules as he was.
  11. QuakerOatsMan

Hey Higby, I was wondering whether you guys read the suggestions section. I posted an idea there about player-created walls (larger shields similar to regular MANA turrets', deployed by engineers). I honestly think that this is something that would help deepen gameplay, as it would improve infantry survivability on open fields and allow for a more dynamic style of defense/offense (a player-created/manipulated form of defense compared to the static turrets-gate shield-generator-only defenses provided), as well as deepening the engineer's role as support. (I also think there could be some form of armor-bypass damage (which could also open up several certable options for dedicated tank drivers) such as actual armor-piercing bullets to have triage, multi-crewing, and nanoweave actually play an important role, as most of those are useless right now, and I see this as a solution to tackle these three). Do devs ever actually consider any of the player-made suggestions or do they tend to stick to their own plans?

That aside, I think it would be very helpful to both devs and players if devs at least more occasionally commented their opinions on ideas/suggestions/nerfs/etc. for players to see the direction of the game, or have some insight into the devs' point of view or intentions on matters (It would also help in quieting down many of those who "overcomplain" and in reducing the non-constructive threads here).
    • Up x 1
  12. Javelin

Eh, seems like Higby was in and out on this one.
  13. riker

yes
  14. riker

lurking isnt as good as posting we dont even care if its just your personal opinion its nice to hear from the people that are making the game, and you guys dont really use our suggestions alot, it would be nice if you said yes or no to ideas more often
    • Up x 1
  15. Dnar99

I actually think they do engage with the community, but they do it far more often via twitter/reddit, which I find kind of annoying myself, as I think the "official" forums to the game should have the news/feedback/back and forth conversations with players on it before twitter/reddit does.
  16. riker

dude we glow, the NC dont its a pain in the *** to see them at night
  17. riker

someone should right a program for that
  18. sustainedfire

The same could be said about all factions, there are illuminated areas on most armors. And most bases have a glow to terminals, lights, equipment, etc etc- Though I have to say, most Vanu do not glow on my screen.
  19. riker

sorry but our guns fire bright blue and green plasma bolts your argument is invalid
    • Up x 1
  20. WalrusJones

He was chased off.