Detailed Examination of GU04 Cloak Changes

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Dr. Euthanasia, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Dr. Euthanasia

Alright ladies, calm down about the stupid patch notes and listen up. I just ran some easily replicated tests at the Indar warpgate and I can safely say that while our cloak still sucks, it's coming a lot closer to sucking equally hard on all graphics settings because of the way SOE handled this. Here's what you most likely care about:

- Low graphics Infiltrators are overall less visible across all stages of movement.
    - The color of our transparent low graphics shader is still dependent on the continent and time of day. Yes, this means that white ghost people are still a thing on Indar.
    - Infiltrators across all graphics settings stop rendering entirely after a certain distance, or are transparent to a point where it's impossible to see them. The distance is short enough to sprint across over a period of 12 seconds.
    - On low settings, Infiltrators who activated their cloak at that distance will continue to not render even if they approach you. On high settings, the light refraction effect returns once they get close enough.

High settings is now once again the easier of the two when it comes to spotting us. Low settings players can rejoice, however, as we are no longer nearly impossible to track. Snipers are going to have a field day with this because there's no longer anything that can be done to spot them before they take a shot.
    • Up x 5
  2. Gribbstar

This seems very positive indeed!

Thanks for the detailed report :)
  3. Dr. Euthanasia

I'm glad to have been of service. Personally, I can't wait to run straight at people who think they have an advantage on low settings.

Cloak's still worthless indoors, though.
  4. Ztiller

*sigh*
  5. ArcMinuteLight

This guy again.:rolleyes:
    • Up x 2
  6. Wobberjockey

alright, i'll bite.

a predator style refraction cloak is going to be less effective against any background that has hard edges, or rigid geometry (read straight lines) i.e. indoors, save some spots in a biolab.

This is undeniable, biological fact. The human eye is more capable of picking up the malformation in a straight line than against the terrain that looks 'natural', and since so many CP's are indoors, indoor operation is still critical to making the infiltrator a viable class when used in a unit.

honestly, until the cloak effect disrupts the silhouette of an infiltrator so that it is no longer so obviously human, we are going to have issues infiltrating against aware opponents.

in fact, i think a decent cloak alternative would be something akin to a nanite ghillie suit

See also: Crypsis
    • Up x 1
  7. Slaidd

I think if they're going to keep the infiltrator class, they should scrap the current "cloak" all together and give the Infiltrator an actual ghillie suit. One that is in the camo pattern the infiltrator assigns to it (of the patterns they have unlocked), and make it on a toggle, so when the infiltrator is out in the field they can toggle it on, and when they're infiltrating inside a base, they can toggle it off, in favor of a more light assault type uniform also assigned by the player.

This would eliminate the wonkiness inherant in the current cloak and allow a little more personal customization in the infiltrator's camo.

Just a thought. I'm sure others will differ.
  8. Wobberjockey

i'm going to pitch this as a cloak alternative. it seems like it could work
  9. Skeith

At least we are lucky that he didnt start with a story of him shutting down the crown alone
    • Up x 2
  10. m44v

Yes, I have noticed this. You could say that the cloak was buffed a little, since now I cannot snipe cloaked infils like I used to.

Still useless for infiltrating though.
  11. TheRaptorFence101

Only issue with a "ghillie suit" option is that there is still the problem of a lack of shrubbery in the continents. Combine that with the lack of a prone and you get what looks like a convenient ball out in the distance.

Also, any shrubbery is going to pop-in more noticeably than a soldier. I've had the issue of seeing a target in the distance, scoping in, and a bush popping up between me and the target. I see the target, but they don't know that; they think they are hidden behind the bush. The only alternatives would be to reduce pop-in (hard enough on our CPUs as it is) or have infantry pop-in closer, which doesn't seem like a good idea.

I like the initiative, though. If the game was more densely populated with foilage I'd give that a go.
    • Up x 1
  12. Fantom_17

I'v seen some weird stuff going on at helios like ilfitrators turning completely invisible but haveing their gun models keep that black ghost/ white ghost appearance, or ilfitrators becoming completely transparent when less than 10 feet from me. (everything and its mother on low settings)
  13. Sevre

So, just to verify, that line of text in the GU04 patch notes about the infiltrator is no longer invisible on low settings was a typo, and they really meant they are no longer COMPLETELY VISIBLE on low settings.
  14. Dr. Euthanasia

It should have been more like:

"The Infiltrator is no longer visible beyond a certain distance regardless of graphics settings."

That's basically all they did on purpose. The low settings cloak looks almost exactly the same as it did last update, and like I said, it keeps being 100% invisible if you turn it on beyond that arbitrary range and run closer while the medium/high one shows up automatically... but that has the makings of a bug that probably isn't considered terribly important. You'd have to be kind of crazy to rush someone from sniper range and just assume that they're playing on low.
  15. OldOnyx

I've had a feeling for a while that the cloaking effect we were seeing from that infamous update was a nerf gone wrong. It was likely a change made in response to those that were complaining about infiltrators being too hard to spot on low settings, but the color of the shader changed randomly per session rather than being tied to the time of day as was intended.

Many of the responses we’ve been getting from the team would make more sense if they were referring to a nerf that was intended to make infiltrators more visible or complications brought about by such a change.