[Suggestion] Desperately needed changes to light assault (nerfs)

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by {joer, Jan 23, 2013.

1. {joer

Planetside 2 is the first game in quite a long time, since I played EvE online about 5 years ago, where I really felt addicted. Where I thought in terms of life as in "well this is going to cut down on my play time". When I started playing PS2 I had that old thrill back, I was in the zone, I was in a new world. It felt good, perhaps too good.

Luckily with the constant changes to gameplay, the reduction of the cerebral effort to play, the inclusion of weapons which reduce the needed skill and competitive drive, I'm finding myself less addicted, and for that, thank you Devs.

In your quest to make the game "accessible" to todays instant access self entitled generation, to make those without the experience and desire to learn feel they are somehow special, the spell has been broken.

Being I'm a bit older than the average gamer (and for the record the average PC gamer is in his 30's) I find I need to really work out a good 3 times a week, I have two young kids that need my attention, and a thriving business which has some back paper work I need to get done. My wife has long accepted my gaming so I'm ok there, but even so she was getting a bit put off by my 2am gaming stints.

Now I'm back to my workout. My quads are a little sore from the squatting, but instead of doing heavy squats three times a week I was down to sometimes once every other week. I'd really excited that my stalled progress in personal fitness will get back on track.

Now if I could make a suggestion to you, which would help me tremendously, it would be the following. You need to nerf playing LA. Its the one high skilled playstyle that I still enjoy. I've started to see forum whining about it, in relation to C4, and undoubtedly todays generation has a hard time understanding they need to look up (such play doens't lend itself to xbox games as evidenced by their lack of ability to deal with ESF's). I'd recommend the following nerfs which will help me kick my PS2 habit entirely.

Jump Packs:
    Its good you finally fixed the jump pack bug, but obviously the ability to travel in three dimensions is difficult for your target player base. I'd recommend treating jump packs much like shields on a heavy assault. If you get hit you lose some of your jump pack power. So if an LA is in the air and takes a shot they should instantly fall to the ground, most likely killing them.

Base design:
    Too many windows and open roofs. This leads to needing to think about lines of attack and cover. A better solution would be tunnels. This way people will know which way to face and shoot at any given time. Control points should all be located under ground. At the very least there should only be one doorway and no windows by a control point.

C4:
    Now you started it well by making C4 EXTREMELY slow to deploy, so that was a good start, but you need to go further. Did you know that 2 C4 can instantly destroy a tank? Now obviously the tank has to be unaware of you and mostly still (because you don't "stick" to vehicles you can't even jump on a moving one), but that might upset a new player who spawned a tank and wants to feel awesome. For the first nerf I'd recommend that you can NOT deploy two C4 at the same time and detonate both. This would mean you place one, trigger it, and THEN get to place another. This will give the tank plenty of time to drive away and repair, letting that player feel awesome.

C4 vrs Max:
    Now its obviously unfair to the now generation that their robot bodies get destroyed by someone without a robot body. We have already seen the posts about how unfair this is. Being the above nerf won't help vrs maxes, I think a simple max buff to explosive damage will cover it. It will take TWO direct c4 blasts to kill a max. This will let the max have at least 30 seconds to move due to how placement works. Now moving is a difficult concept for some, but I think we can keep some challenge in the game in this.

Cof while jumping jetting:
    Some of the current me only generation people seem to think the COF is lower with certain sights while a player a jump jetting and its totally unfair. Rather than educate them on their error, and that the died due to simple spray and pray, just remove the LA's ability to fire at all while jump jetting.

The Benefits:
    I think the benefits to these nerfs are self explanatory. While my quad growth has been very easy and apparent, my bicep growth has been less so. I also need to focus on my chest a lot more. I've recently bought a new home with a place for a home gym but I've been playing so much I've neglected to order the power rack which while great for squatting, its really important for doing heavy bench pressing without a spotter. I think if you continue to take gameplay for ease of entry I'll be able to attain the body I've been working on and that became stalled with PS2 taking up so much of my time.

Thank you so much for your continued work.
    • Up x 4
  2. MurderBunneh

3. Hosp

Jump Packs - No
    Base Design - Everyone Agrees
    C4 - No
    C4 vs Max - No
    Cof While Flying - Agreed.
    • Up x 1
  4. CVTG

OP has provided me many lulz with this post.

Thank you, OP. :V

Edit:

...He -is- joking, right? Right? ._.

/poe'slaw
    • Up x 2
  5. dragondrop

I don't know what to make of it.
    Perhaps you should just uninstall the game, I heard that's a good way to ensure not playing it.
    • Up x 2
  6. MorteDeAmgelis

Yeah lets make the class useless WOOOOOOO!!!!!!
    NO!

Just cause people don't look up doesn't mean that the guys that get to those places should be punished for doing so.
    You realise though that C4 effects EVERY CLASS but Infil right?
    And what about Drop Pods allowing people into trees and such?
    Base Design is something that everyone agrees on.

I would give -1 / 10 for trolling attempts. Just ******** more then anything.
  7. {joer

I don't understand the hostility, I think over all I have suggested a very modest proposal.
    • Up x 1
  8. Hosp

It's not a modest proposal though. What the LA does is very little, and that very little it does exceptionally well.
  9. Leathrewulfe

I'm surprised nobody asked the OP the most pertinent question:
    Do you even lift?
    • Up x 2
  10. Sinoby

Good joke OP, thanks for lol's
    • Up x 2
  11. t31os

No to all the above, cool story though. :)
  12. OMGItzChucky

Looks like someone escaped from the asylum.
  13. Rusky

I was on to you when you said your wife was upset with you going to bed at 2am because of gaming.

What true gamer goes to bed at 2 am :p
  14. Pat22

Some people haven't caught on to the OP's sarcasm yet.
    • Up x 1
  15. Wibin

I like the part bout getting shot while jump packing.

The rest I didn't read.
  16. Hodo

Its hard to find sarcasm in a text form.

Perhaps they should introduce text macros for sarcasm ques.
  17. Pat22

It became pretty obvious when he began talking about how many squats he did and how he wanted to make the class so bad that he wouldn't want to play it anymore so he could start exercising regularly again.
  18. Compass

At first I was like QUE. Then I was like OH.

KO!
  19. Mootar

This is an awful post and you should feel bad about it.

"Let's make LA totally useless so nobody wants to play it, I hate getting killed by people"

Just no.
  20. Hosp

I took it more as his being serious about the nerfs, since he probably got killed alot by them, and trying to hide it behind the sarcasm so as not to get flamed and instead blown off.