[Definition] Phase 1

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by MasonSTL, Jun 28, 2014.

1. MasonSTL

phase
    noun\ˈfāz\
    : a part or step in a process : one part in a series of related events or actions

1 is a number, a numeral, and the name of the glyph representing that number. It represents a single entity, the unit of counting or measurement. For example, a line segment of "unit length" is a line segment of length 1.

From these definitions one can deduce that some of the content that SOE has implemented in the game that they themselves have labeled as phase 1 are of a multiphase processes. One can also infer that other changes (phase 2,3, ect.) will be implemented in the future.
    Example:

Please people, we all know, including the devs, that this isn't the final implementation of this mechanic. But we, and the devs, know that this isn't the final product. So hold back on these sorts of threads:

PHASE 1:eek:

Continental lattice is the answer, and ITS ON THE ROADMAP! What discussion are you looking for when posting these?
    • Up x 2
  2. HadesR

Less Phase 1's

MORE

Finishing the Phase 1's they already have in the game ..

What's up next ?

A fully finished mission system ?
    A fully finished continental locking / lattice system ?
    A fully finished Ribbon system ?
    etc
    etc
    Or another Phase 1 item like directives ?

Having ones fingers in to many pies springs to mind
  3. MasonSTL

In all honesty I would rather them put out phases, get ACTUAL feed back from the community and build off of it. Instead of taking up to 6 months building something behind the scenes and release it broken.

They community wants a community driven game, why not let the community be part of the process?

Sure wish the Hex system had a phase 1, because that went well. :rolleyes:

EDIT: my main gripe is that most of these threads can be ended with a quote from the roadmap. That is just ignorant posting on the OPs part. There really is no reason to the posts other than to just whine and find ignorant people with pitchforks and don't lead to any real discussion, unlike your post which has fruition.
    • Up x 2
  4. HadesR

That's not what i'm saying ..

I'm saying finish the half completed crap they have now before adding any more half completed crap ..

Finish the Multi camo application we were told about but only got the fugly half of it
    Finish the mission system ( Phase 2 is " August " sometime soon™ )

etc etc

We are told about all these changes .. Players rant on the forums about " It will add to the meta " ( most of the time without knowing what it means but that's a diff matter )
    But we get half systems that mostly don't work .. So ofc players are going to get pissed and frustrated and vent on the forums ..

This game will be awesome ... In about 3 years time ;)
  5. NinjaTurtle

It could be that some of this stuff is inter linked so the next part of the missions system needs continent locking as an example in place before they can progress with it.
    • Up x 2
  6. HadesR

Or reading the RM maybe it isn't ...

Hey maybe it does but the point I'm trying to make in regards to this thread is that the game really seems to lack direction both in it's goals and what it wants to be..
    So player's will get frustrated and post their negative views .. Making threads like this isn't going to change that one ounce ..
  7. MasonSTL

You'r right....

I forgot to put PSA in the title :p

One thing all those thread have (and are pretty much all based off of) are assumptions. You know what they say about assuming!
  8. NinjaTurtle

A few months back a dev responded to a similar criticism from me that you are making now (I think it was Malorn). He explained to me that things have to be done in a certain order (an order that may seem to make little sense) based upon what they have up coming to support certain features. For example a feature may require certain UI elements from another.

I may not be explaining this very well but he way he explained it made sense
  9. UberBonisseur

Look at the last post you quoted.
    In short:

Will they keep the current system of continent locking when the Continental lattice goes live ?

Considering how much time they've spent into it, yes.
    Is it a good thing ? No.

Why ?
    Because the cycle goes: Capture all bases => Locked => Next continent => Territory Reset

Because it seems counterintuitive; especially the territory reset part. With the resource revamp coming AND vehicle transfer, it seems pointless to use the Continent Locking mechanic.
    When you just finished capturing the final base before the Warpgate in PS1, you usually had a gigantic zerg rolling towards the next continent that allowed invaders to push with all their momentum and push their way out of a warpgate camp swiftly.
    Should capturing a continent allow you to warp your entire armored force and give you ownership of the 3 adjacent bases to the warpgate, it'd be enough to ensure a succesful invasion.

Continent locking feels unnecessary because the way continents are reset just feels off.
    That's the main concern, and I'm afraid that we're never going to get the big warpgate push like in PS1.

---------------------------------------

Now on the subject of phase 1 itself, the way they pulled it on the mission system was a complete cop-out. Everybody supported the concept of a mission system (that could just have been an extension of Offensive/Defensive requests) but we got something incredibly far off the intended purpose.

You can't be both late on schedule AND deliver half the product.
  10. PhantomOfKrankor

I'd rather SOE committed to a singular vision from release and just did it and saw it through. "Listening to the community" did and will continue to cause huge setbacks. Instead of Higby asking every few weeks on twitter "what features would you like to see in ps2?" or whatever, I want to hear Higby's vision. Otherwise we're going to continue to get teasers of future "phase 1" features that a smaller percentage of the player base than you think actually want.

Hex did have a phase 1, but instead of improving it, they "listened to the community" (aka some PS1 outfit leaders) and broke it even more months before lattice came in. Did you know about two months after the "Indar rush lanes" roadmap thread went up, and only ~12 days before it hit the live servers, it managed to get all the way up to #26 in the list of the popular roadmap features? Forumside and PS1 mega-outfit support couldn't even get it into the top 25 most wanted features! But the revisionists that think that it was the most demanded thing by the community never care about that, because they got it and "hex was literally the worse thing ever". Boy, that was sure worth losing a year of development time we'll never get back, and losing most of the daily login population as they complained about lack of anything new for a year.
  11. MasonSTL

Exactly. Like how they need BIs and content locking to implement continental lattice.

or change the camo schemes to make way for vehicle hacking, or make sure the phase 1 mission system works properly before they add phase 2 and 3. makes it easier to find bugs in 100.000 lines of code than it is 1.000.000
    • Up x 1
  12. MasonSTL

I think the current implementation is good. It gets factions moving between continents and changes the battlefield (more so once hossin can be locked). Just look at the Amerish revamp. 2-3 weeks and people where still on Indar and there was even less of a feeling of 'endgame' or accomplishment.

The one thing I don't like is that the alerts aren't like how SOE described them to be when locking was released. They were supposed to trigger when a faction was nearing full control over a continent, on live they are like the original continental conquests and kind of mess up the locking. But that doesn't mean continent locking is bad, the alert types at the moment are bad. Maybe a faction wants to keep a specific resource bonus? Sorry, this alert that just started will make sure you don't keep it.

I don't think the problem is continent locking.
  13. FieldMarshall

Phase 1 = Clever way of saying "beta test".
    Except with SOE, Phase 1 also means "This is all you're getting. End of the road".

I dont mind though. With SOE you gotta learn to have a "Whatever happens, happens" attitude,
    or you are going to die from hypertension within 2-3 years with them.
  14. MasonSTL

How do you draw this conclusion?

I do agree with this though :p
    • Up x 1
  15. libbmaster

I think what Hades meant was, he wants to see them put all their effort into "phase 1" of something, get feed back, pull all effort into "phase 2" etc.

So, rather than releasing multiple "phase 1's", they drop a phase 1, then focus on the mechanic for a month or so, pushing out iterations and collecting feedback till completion.

To this I would counter: they would end up having people sitting on their hands.

If they have a phase out, and are collecting feedback, shouldn't they be doing something in the meantime? (Like working on another "phase 1" for a different thing)

What if you only need so many people to work on a "phase"? Why shouldn't the other guys work on something else? Implement and collect feedback on two "phase 1's" at the same time?

And what if different mechanics play off each other? Wouldn't you want to test them together?
  16. HadesR

Well by how things are always months behind schedule , maybe the doing something could be getting them done on time ;)
  17. libbmaster

Hrm.

It would be interesting to see how fast they could push these out focusing on just one or two things.
  18. FieldMarshall

I have a total of, zero evidence good sir... Its just that feeling i get from SOEs content releases :confused: