[Suggestion] Decent pistol for VS Inf please

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Anantidaephobia, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Anantidaephobia

Is there any chance that some day VS infiltrators get a useful pistol ?

No, not the .357 or .44 one. A pistol that could be silenced. I recently bought the Cerberus but it does such ridiculous damage I couldn't even kill unaware people fast enough so they just turned towards me and killed first.

Even an NC Inf shot me down at very close range (2 to 3 meters) with his sniping gun. How can one even have a sniping gun that can be so effective at short range while strafing ?!? o_O
    Wouldn't it be much more logical that a pistol should be the most effective weapon at close range ?
    TR have repeating handguns.
    NC have hard hitting ones.
    VS pistols are supposed to be accurate, but what's the point of accuracy 2m away from your target ?
  2. Littleman

What's the point of aiming at the body of a target 2m away? There's your problem #1.

The standard Beamer is ample enough for most handgun vs handgun engagements, and by that I mean some tool with a commie vs a beamer/emperor/magshot/whatever. The extra strafe speed afforded to pistols (yup, bigger guns have slower strafe) can make scoring a head shot harder for your assailant, and most pistols sans the commies have more than a few spare rounds to take another player's life and miss a few shots.

P.S. Seriously... DBG should nerf the Commissioner's fire rate. It kind of eclipses the Underboss too well. Yes, volume of use does in fact equal sure sign of OP (except as the default gun, then it's pretty muddy, like with say, the Orion.)
    • Up x 2
  3. AnuErebus

Beamer is a fantastic pistol. Great damage and accurate to boot, this is an absolutely fantastic pistol for any role.

Maticore is also just a clone of my personal favorite ES pistol the Mag-shot. It has a little less velocity, but otherwise it's probably the most versatile pistol in the game.

Spiker after its rework also has a lot of potential for burst damage. It's not quite as much of a straight up powerhouse as the desperado or repeater, but it's very close and a bit more accurate at range as well. Again, this is a solid ES pistol and if you're looking for raw damage from a VS pistol this is the one to get.

Cerberus, yeah it's hard to make a low RoF weapon excel at close quarters. This one can go in the terrible pile.

So that makes 1 out of 4 pistols that I'd say are actually bad. The rest of them are good, but you have to remember that pistols are back up weapons. They aren't primaries. Every single one will lose to even the worst of primaries in a head to head fight. Unless you're out aiming your opponent or got the drop on them you aren't going to have any sort of advantage.
    • Up x 2
  4. haldolium

Recently I grew fond of the the Spiker. It does neat damage and is surprisingly accurate (muzzle flash visuals don't really underline that sadly).
  5. CuteBeaver

The Beamer is very spammy which is awesome against wiggly targets once your initial ambush is over and they start to react. The trouble with this weapon comes when your not very fast at clicking (like me - Arthritis) you need to make good use of the opener and try for headshots if possible or close the gap with a knife. (I prefer to remain at a distance though unless I feel my target is acting really derpy / distracted / is a heavy assault. Strongly going to recommend using EMPs and Bando x4 with stalkers since Heavies can be very annoying to take out when you are just learning. Knowing you can them to remove not only their typical shield but also prevent the Spin and Win is huge. I also tend to take breaks after a while since the Beamer requires so much clicking to use effectively for obvious reasons. If you don't like all the clicking the manticore is a little bit less intense but shares the same basic perks of the beamer.I find it less painful just as an example.

Getting back to the Beamer, I use this weapon more conservatively. If I decide knifing isn't a good idea... Exmaple player is a LA with a shotgun (and will more then likely outrun me with drifters / evade my knife) I will put cover between myself and them and open once their back is turned. The Beamer does well with a little bit more distance between you and your target and is incredibly accurate. I'v tried both suppressed and un-suppressed for stalking. Large fights I do favor the suppressor for being able to chain ambushes and reset easier. That being said I actually love how it actually feels without the suppressor. If your having issues even making 1v1 kills you might like using the Beamer better w/o having a suppressor equipped.

Manticore as I said doesn't require as much clicking to push out the damage potential. However I tend to use exactly as I do the beamer just with less pain at the end of my session.

Ceberus is a knife friendly weapon that requires excellent aim and headshots. Very unforgiving and has a high skill ceiling but some people love it for allowing them to have a suppressor handy. Not something I would recommend to a new player though because you have to be on target and you cannot just spam your way to victory or bodyshot your enemy down effectively. Missing punishes you because of the lower rate of fire your enemy has more time to react and pump lead into you.

Spiker is just wonderful. If all 6 of my crossbow were to melt I would be using the spiker much more often. Its quirky and you can do some pretty trolly things with it <3. Burst isn't half bad for ambushes either. Hands down the most fun pistol in VS arsenal and with one click we can switch to AV type damage too. Some pretty neat things you can do with a fully charged shot including a knife combo but pulling that off is hard to do since it requires you to be uncloaked and charging up for a short amount of time. Under most situations not practical, but it can be done. I really like using the new activate-able knife with it.

VS Patriot Flare Gun + Activate-able knife = fun times. "Ooh look at the explosions / stabby stab stab""
    • Up x 1
  6. BetaGamma

I use a suppressed spiker on my scout-rifle loadouts. It's spamable, the damage-output is good enough in cqc situation that you can win vs every class except HA (vs HA too but then you have to be accurate and get a drop on them).
  7. Biddion

Every gun is good. You just have to learn each weapon's effective range and how to use it. I started my first VS character recently and am finding the beamer just as effective as any TR pistol. I am using adrenaline pump, perhaps adding to the strafing speed.
    • Up x 1
  8. Stormsinger

Yep, VS pistols are relatively lacking in the stats. Here's a fun fact for you: VS Pistols is the only category of weapons for any faction that has a top ranking NS gun in place of anything Empire Specific.

[IMG]

I personally use the Spiker when I want something suppressed, and the Underboss / Commissioner / Underboss when I want to go louder, depending on planned engagement range.
  9. Keldred

I love the Cerberus, dont know why so many ppl have a problem with it.
  10. CMDante

Cerberus is essentially an LA8 Rebel, which isn't spammy enough for most people. It's a gun you need to score headshots with to do well.
    • Up x 1
  11. Keldred

yea it has yet to let me down in a pinch. I cant say the same for the Beamer...i like it cause it feels like a good middle ground between a Commissioner and a Beamer.
  12. Biddion

AV? Got to check that out.
  13. asmodraxus

NS is the answer
  14. RedArmy

theres an NS repeater pistol in the works