December Station Cash sales in the past

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by RF404, Dec 3, 2012.

1. RF404

FYI

Last year:
    x3 SC sale on 17th of December.

2010:
    x2 SC sale on 24th of December.

2009:
    x2 value from SC Retail Cards redeemed between 23rd of December and 3rd of January.

Source: Google (a search for "Station cash sale soe" in custom time periods).
    • Up x 2
  2. Jourmand1r

I doubt they will do 3x station cash sales now that SoE has a game that isnt dead.
    • Up x 2
  3. RF404

Ok, thanks for sharing. That was utterly insightful.
    • Up x 2
  4. Solafide

LoL
  5. ArcaneGuardian

I'd say it's a pretty valid point.

They do 3x sales to draw people (back) in. If they already have people, why would they offer such discounts? 2x would be more likely (especially considering there was a recent 3x)
  6. Jourmand1r

Someone name an SoE game besides PS2 that isnt having population issues.
  7. RF404

It might've been a valid point if anything was indicating that it would be a x3 sale this year... but there isn't.

8. Kenny007

Perhaps not, but if there wasn't even a hope for a 3X sale for Christmas, what is the point of the thread? Seems SOE does at least a 2X sale almost monthly.

I will add though that I liked the information provided. I was/am loosely hoping for a 3X, but the reasons above are pretty solid as to why it won't happen.
  9. Gavyne

Sales are not just to draw people back, they are offered to get people to spend money. I find it weird to even have to say this. Whether you spend money on 2x sc sales or 3x sc sales, you are spending money, and all SOE is doing is selling you digital items so they aren't exactly losing more or less money. You spending money is good for them, so they have sales quite often. 2x sales happen often, while 3x sales only happen once or twice a year. They know people spend money during sc sales so they have them quite often.

You can be sure there will be a 3x sc sale at the end of the year or beginning of the year.
    • Up x 2
  10. Beliskner

Who cares.
  11. RF404

To show that there is a sale each year, so people know they might get a bit more bang for their buck if they have patience enough to hold on to it for a little bit longer. Questions about if SOE has sales during December has been posted at least a couple of times on the forum.
  12. ArcaneGuardian

All he said was "I doubt it will be a x3" which is an accurate observation, since they have a game thriving and populating.

They offer 2x sales to get people to spend money. They do 3x more rarely (there was one recently). That, in conjunction with the fact that they have a populated game, make them less likely to offer such a HUGE sale right now. Why would they? They'd lose potential money that way.

Sales are always a ploy. There is always a reason.

And your "they aren't losing more or less money" is wrong. Yes, yes they are. Say you want three 1,000 SC weapons. You see a 2x SC day. You have to spend $15 to get those three weapons. Now, say it was a 3x SC day? You spend $10.

A lot of people do not just arbitrarily buy an amount of SC (apparently you do, with no goal in mind). So a lot of people see a sale and spend as little money as possible to get what they want. If someone only ever wanted 3,000 SC, why would they spend any more than $10 on a 3x SC day? They wouldn't. They'd use that extra $5 of found money to buy a pizza or some other such thing.
  13. RF404

Yes, it is likely that he's statement will turn out to be correct, but speculating about that isn't really relevant to the topic.

Yes, sales are a ploy and there always is a reason. But that reason is simply to make money and not some grand scheme of trying to win back customers.

The behaviour you are describing, of customers using a sale to save money, might stand true for the part of the populace that is under a restrained economy, but in general it is not. A sale is just a way to get people to spend more money. Simple as that.

It can be summed up pretty nicely if you consider the following: How many times have you paid for 2 of something, to get 3, when you actually just needed 1? More than once, right? That is not because you were trying to save money. You porbably think it is, but it wasn't. It is simply because the store made you an offer that made it seem like you could save money by spending more.
    You were tricked into spending more.

And the same can be said about double or triple SC sales; The more you spend the larger amount of bonus SC you will get. So when there is a SC sale the customers are likely to spend more money than they usually would've have done because they are confronted "it is a deal that's too good to pass up". And that will stand true regardless of how active and thriving the current gaming community is.
    • Up x 1
  14. Apina

Too early to say yet, population on my server is going down not up and considering this is F2P game, you'd imagine growth at least couple first month if the game was success. I think they should add megaserver simliar to Elder Scroll Online.
  15. ArcaneGuardian

It is completely relevant. All you did was post dates about the previous sales and what amount they were. As such, he saw one was a 3x, and commented as to why he thought a 3x was unlikely. He said nothing about whether there would BE one, but you never said before that point that the WHOLE purpose of the thread was to say there would probably BE a sale, now did you?

I understand how sales work. I've worked in retail. But the fact of the matter is, a lot people aren't going to spend more than they have to to get something. And if they do too many 3x SC days, then they devalue their own currency and NO ONE would buy it other than on those 3x SC days, or they'd feel they would be being ripped off. And then, in responce to people only buying it on 3x days, they'd have to raise the cost of things.

As of now, a 1,000SC gun is about $10 of normal, $5 of 2x, and $3.33 of 3x. If all people bought was 3x, they'd only make $3.33 instead of $10 on that gun. To compensate, that gun would cost 2,000SC or more.

They have to balance their economy, and they know how people work. The occasional 2x sale prompt people to buy. a 3x sale is risky and why it is more rare. It's a "Hey, quick! come back and spend money!" tactic. But they also risk devaluing their currency. So they can only use that tactic to bolster numbers temporarily (to get people back into the game and spending money).
  16. Marka Ragnos

Id rather have a %off ingame items.
  17. desktop

I hope its sooner rather than later. I bet they make way more money on a 3x sale day than they do on a regular day.
  18. CoreDave

Some might say that $3.33 for a virtual item is a much more sensible price in the first place and $10 is just absurd. Personally I can't see myself ever buying SC at the standard rate again because I felt like an idiot when I realised how little I could get with my first purchase. at 2x I might think about it if there was a specific gun that I just couldn't face grinding for, at 3x I would probably charge up y account again and would happily spend on some cosmetic items.
  19. Kakarot

I am hoping for a 3x station cash in december so I can spend some money, or else I would not.
  20. Gavyne

^ And SOE knows there are people holding out for 3x sc, that's why it'll happen. 3x sc will make people spend money on sc where they otherwise would not. Or they would make people spend MORE on sc than they would on a 2x sale. It's nothing special or tricky about it, SOE has been doing 3x sales for the past few end of the year / beginning of the year.

It has little to do with ingame population or drawing players back. Remember you can no longer purchase subscriptions using station cash, just saying in case someone still thinks you could.