Death screen with map pointing to killer being implemented today 13/03

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Reavx, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Jogido

Well, yeah, as I responded to that other guy, I am able notice the last hit marker. Even the one hit head shot.

To 15 degrees? Not sure...maybe even better...but I usually can locate the sniper again unless he moves.

maybe, but I don't think that is always true.....and sure the kill arc may need adjusting, general direction should be good enough for most people.
  2. kaolla

the real problem is it will be 80% of the time useless because killed to close. if killed from more than 100 m then you may want to know from where, but that only work for sniper tank and engie, most kill in other class are to close, they will occure in battle where there to many enemy, and even in a 1v1 in small base no one stay in the same spot. i could find way to easly a sniper tyhat killed me.... and that death screen make the gameplay un smooth ( hiting space out of frustation=
  3. Vaphell

Good for you (not a sarcasm)
    I am really good at avoiding sniper instagibs (soloing on the flanks teaches severe paranoia), but whenever it does happen and the bullet doesn't come from the FoV i never manage to notice the marker in time, being focused on something else. I am always like wtf just happened, though i make educated guesses based on my sniper experience.
    I'd bet being able to notice the marker in case of instagib is a rather uncommon ability among the PS2 population, probably 1 in 20 players can reliably notice it and the number of players able to position the marker accurately in the 3d environment in a fraction of second is even lower.

The problem is that even if you and few other dudes can do this reliably, the remaining 95% of players just got a significant buff that allows them to narrow down the search area to a narrow sliver, and that's without employing their brain matter, every single time.
    There is a difference between being hunted by 1 player in 10 and being hunted by 1 in 2. It's relatively easy to evade 1 dude, 10 dudes not so much.

The nasty combo of narrow arc and instant rezzing giving not enough time to relocate is a significant issue too.
  4. Jogido

I don't think anybody is complaining about close range death screen...You do know there is already a death screen right? Just doesn't give as much info...the changes of the death screen is adding info to something that existed from day one
  5. Jogido

yeah, it'll be interesting to see. a lot of players do seem to lack awareness ^_^;
  6. RockPlanetSide2

Server mergers are not the only way to fix the battle size issues, you can also just make only 2 continents available at any given time.
  7. iller

RIP silenced BASRs/SASR

I now have to stop what I'm doing every 15 seconds to set up a trap for the raging newb who seems to think Revenge is more important than getting his butt on the Objective. Given the info on the Deathscreen however, I can understand where he'd get that mistaken conclusion as that little trending graph doesn't go up at all for holding a Point or guarding a Sundy. ....Then again it's not going to increase much either if you spend all your time looking for a spook who already moved to the other side of the Hex and left you nothing but some Betties to step on.

In some cases though I'm actually forced to defend my sniping nest simply b/c it's the only GOOD one in the entire areas I can get to and I'd have to be a Light Assault to reach any better ones. ...I'd go hack some terms but the latest map overhauls got rid of the vast majority of those. So there's literally nothing else for me to do but play Death-screen MarcoPolo with these nerds.

Get a better system, SOE.... pleeeease.
  8. Rift23

Look at this way, if the death screen really does lead to 15+ people running around the backwoods after one sniper (so far as my experience goes, it doesn't), then you've done more to hurt their side than you could have plinking away random targets. That's 15+ people chasing one dude around instead of flipping a point or attacking anything meaningful.
    • Up x 1
  9. lords8n

I dislike this position indicator a LOT!
    I don't want to know the position of the person that shot me, and I don't want anyone to know mine.

I have and will immediately close out that screen without ever looking at it, out of spite, regardless of any other cool information that might be contained within.

Please allow me to close that idiotic screen by clicking my mouse button also. I would like it as easy to get out of my sight as possible.

Look...
    It's quite obvious this is a slap in the infiltrator's face.
    It's also quite easy, in most locations, to know if you got OHKed, what general area it came from. It's probably that big rock, or mountain, or other cover. The truly talented snipers will setup in places not so obvious, and deserve their anonymity. They worked hard to learn the game.

To preserve the infiltrator's role there should be a range limit on this thing.
    Beyond a certain distance that thing should just highlight one of the four directional quadrants. A 90 degree area that is always from N to E, E to S, S to W, or W to N. Even if the shooter was .01 degrees inside N towards E, that entire quadrant would light up.

I still don't think any indicator is a good idea, but this would be a much more fair alternative.
  10. dezusa

TL;DR:

>Just sitting in one spot for a long time
    >Thoughtful
  11. MarkAntony

That description is so wrong it's not even funny. When flanking you are thinking about where to move to be the most efficient. Contrast that with the run and gun style that everybody hating about campers loves where you just run at the enemy over and over.
    So yeah it is thoughtful. You just can't comprehend it.
    • Up x 1
  12. dezusa

its actually this post that i cant seem to fully understand.
    I guess you failed to comprehend the sarcasm about camping as a 'thoughtful gameplay' and agreed
    that moving around / flanking people is 'thoughtful gaming'.
  13. MarkAntony

I'll try to explain better then.
    When people say camp they mean people who sit in one spot taking out enemies who run by from a hidden position. That's your "typical" CoD camper.
    The problem, at least for me, arises when people confuse flanking with camping. That is because the two are similar. But it is completely different.
    I'll give a generic PS 2 example: 2 roughly equal forces meet in the space between two bases. What you see happening is infantry taking cover in front of the enemy that is in front of them while trying to score a kill or two. Since there is limited cover there is always 5 people behind every rock etc. (you've all seen this situation before I hope). And they are just there shooting at the guys in front of them. That's what I was referring to when I was talking about run and gun. They just take the enemy head on. Now I'm not putting this style of play down. It is very action packed, and I can see why it appeals to many people.
    Now picture the middle between these forces as the frontline. I'll try to find some cover (to the direction the main enemy force is coming from but I will be on their side of the frontline. My goal is to flank 1 of their cover "rocks". I will be exposed to the position I'm flanking and that position only. But since they don't expect me there I can usually take them out.
    Here comes the important part: I will stay in that spot for as long as it takes friendlies to take that position. Up until then I stay put and keep it clear. And that is the part that looks like camping. Because it kinda is. But when that position is taken I move one to the next one. Rinse and repeat. If I am a heavy I will be close. If i am a sniper I will be further away (which makes this easier). But the thing is I have little to no friendly support because that would make flanking harder. So i rely on staying hidden. This killscreen BS makes that impossible.
    moving around and flanking is thoughtful. But after that comes making the most of the spot you just got to before moving on. But people still call that camping. I call it using my brain to achieve better positioning.

• Up x 2
  14. Jogido

Suppressors were mainly useful to help keep from alerting other enemies of your shots....it was like this before death screens too since your target usually knows of your existence....cause you shot him (pro tip)

As mentioned before the Lesser players are really the only ones that the death screen helps. Camping is more challenging now... um, sorry to hear that?
  15. SnipersUnion

I think it would be fair to say that a lot of people will consider our opnion on the matter biased as what we do revolves around stealth. To some the indicator will not be an issue. For others, it will hugely effect their playstyle.

My main concern however, has little to do with gameplay, and more to do with the actual logic (or lack of) behind SOE's reasoning.

SOE has implemented it because it is "concerned about new player retention dropping" due to "random deaths."

TELLING SOMEONE WHERE THEY WERE RANDOMLY KILLED FROM DOES NOT STOP THEM FROM BEING RANDOMLY KILLED.THAT'S THE PRICE YOU PAY FOR PLAYING A LARGE SCALE SANDBOX COMBINED ARMS GAME. THOSE FICKLE, SHORT ATTENTION SPAN PLAYERS THAT RAGE QUIT BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT WINNING WILL LEAVE THIS GAME IN A WEEK ANYWAY, MARK MY WORDS.

By pandering to them, you have lost one Planetside vet that I myself know of. Player retention. Please.

I can agree that the learning curve has been an issue in the past but this is not the way to combat it, and to put it in the same time as a lib update, the biggest "WTF, HOW DID I DIE, WHAT KILLED ME" vehicle in the game, makes me want to laugh and cry at the same time. (especially seeing as a lib has NO care whatsoever for you knowing it's position when its 7 miles away by the time you respawn.)

I sympathize with the OP, and it is starting to feel very much like SOE care little for the players that have been here for years and pumped in money, and more for the gamer that will be here for a month and maybe spend 5SC.

However nothing in this game is ever 'finished forever' so let's see where all this goes over the next week. I know the Dev's are very aware about the noise being made on the issue.
    • Up x 4
  16. Freighter

I spend 10 minutes getting atop the cliff at feldspar canyon, finding a good spot that is not too exposed atop the cliff. It was a decent fight with no clear winner. I am the only one in my general area, Nothing else to give away my position, I am having a good time shooting 1 round at 1 infiltrator then reloading with my rams 50. From behind their location mind you. None of them spotted me and I know they didn't because none of them were looking in my direction.

It took about 3 minutes of popping the heads of other snipers before they were exclusively looking in my direction and with ai mana turrets keeping me down. Then 3 of them dropped on me with a suicide galaxy with 3 shotgun light assaults just to take me out, just me, there was nobody else around me.

I have not since the patch been able to find a good place to park myself and not be bombarded by sensor darts a couple of minutes after the first shot is fired.

If Planetside 2 was a matchbased game this would fit in perfectly. But its not, It is in fact a persistent MMO. If stealth wasn't a factor in planetside 2 combat it would fit, but it clearly is with suppressors and cloaks AND THE PAID CAMOFLAGE. Instead of handing people an overpowered tool for revenge only give it to the new players. I agree something like this is better for new players but it is outright exploited by experienced players.

They had to work for this information before, now you are just handing it to them.
    This was the only thing deterring most people from going on a witch hunt for snipers.

One of the blue posts actually states "this is information they have access to already." Why do you think so many Infiltrators wait patiently to place their shots. A miss is better than a hit without a kill, with this a kill is just as bad, and this is because they do get the directional hit marker, but then they fall over and die, which by the time they have realized what happed is too late to go looking in the direction of that hit marker. They know which direction came from and they will be a little more cautious of snipers, but they wont be all "AAAAH SNIPER UP DER GET LIGHT ASSAULT UP DER NAAAOOOO!!!!"

Cut this off at BR 20 at the bare minimum. This is disruptive on so many levels since I play infiltrator religiously.
  17. Zagareth

Thats wrong. You can always see the hit indicator of the last shot that kills you, even when it is a OHK. It was and is always possible to track the direction by this hint. You only have to remember in which direction you looked, before you died.

So if YOU didn't even know about it, how many people do you think are also clueless... even so called vets?
    Now - for the less bright lights among us - you get a 15° hit indicator mini map, same as useful as the body hit indicator, but more attention-arousing than the split second body hit indicator.

Now you get more people trying to look at you, because they are more aware of the ability to track down a hidden shooter.
  18. Vaphell

That you can doesn't mean that you do. I have days of playtime and never managed to see the marker in case of BASR instagib, being preoccupied with something else. My solution to sniper OHKs is to avoid them in the first place by constantly looking around and always shuffling.
    And let me tell you, 99% of countless scoped in snipers i owned didn't have a slightest clue, they were too concentrated on these few pixels in the center of the screen. Now they now exactly that some ballsy inf was at their 6.

'Only' assumes it's trivial, but this is not the case.
    You had to rely on what you think you saw in your last frame and not only that - you had to put your estimation in 3d space in your head to guesstimate the approximate location of the killer. That puts a pressure on your perception and the brain. That's how you develop awareness - by putting your brain to work and improving its ability to deal with a specific task.
    This information now comes for free, noobs will never develop awareness because there is no environmental pressure to do so.

Less bright should aspire to push their boundaries further, not just lie back, chill and depend on freebies. Because i was not spoon fed i had to develop awareness on my own to AVOID the deaths in the first place.
    "oh ****, i got owned so hard, let's look around next time"
    That meant scanning every few seconds, checking out the most probable camping spots and the skyline for threats. Which part of the "go there to find him" indicator teaches these defensive measures?

Which is bad for the playstyle variety because there is that thing called 'return on investment'. ROI on some playstyles is reduced due to more downtime forced by the deathmap. Hidden shooters waste even more time than meatgrinder players who are not affected, which disincentivizes sneaky flanky play.

Whenever i went 10min around the battlefield to hit from behind my kph was not blooming and in case the battle flow changed drastically i could waste 10min for nothing, hitting kph as low as 10.
    From now on all sniping locations and all angles are relatively worth the same because the expected payout is more or less the same which means investing more time than necessary to get to the pewpewpew area is a waste of effort. Just snipe from landing pads till the cows come home, why bother doing anything else?
  19. lords8n

SOE...

You know what else you've done by stopping the perched recon/sniper's stealth ability?
    You've caused a phenomenon that those perched were keeping down. Now i'm seeing lines of snipers on attacked bases raining down long distance fire on the attacking infantry forces. Per-patch this was able to countered with perched recon/snipers. Along with this you have opened the door for lines of defending Engy turrets on attacked bases. You have allowed the defender to sit still and dig in. Pre-patch you really had to keep moving, which meant more action in a battle. Rather than sit in a tower, stationary, firing at the offensive push without contest, you had to move, and often move out to meet the attacking force.

You just helped in creating comfortable large-scale camping without fear.
    • Up x 1
  20. Zagareth

Well, it's my nature to always look at the body hit indicator when I get hit, so I'm always aware - even when OHKed - where the hit came from.
    And yes, it is trivial! Having an awareness for all the surroundings and an inner 3D view of the environment is what men seperates from boys (or vets from noobs) and this is an advantage that you have to gain with personal experience on the battlefield and the knowledge of the terrain.

If other people don't do this, then it's their own fault. But unfortunately these people now get rewarded for their inattentiveness with an extra hint (minimap hit indicator) and can know get a clue the easy way. The common noob still has no clue where he got hit from and probably has no clue how to use the hit indicator anyway.

So what does the minimap cone indicator change at all? The inattentive and slighly more experienced people now get a clue where to look at the sniper, the noobs still have no clue and the real vets know where to look anyway.

So is the change a good change? NO! Because inattentive people get rewarded and noobs will never learn to become a part of the environment.
    While those who are investing time to get in the right spot, using the right camo for better fusion with the background and using the right tactics against early revelation of their spot, are pulling the shorter stick now.