Death Screen Feedback

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by TorigomaSET, Mar 10, 2014.

1. TomaHawk

I don't know how yet this will really feel in game but I agree with you. It already took some pretty good aim and some shells to take down a lib pilot that was putzing around, not all that easy before this change... and now what will this be like? Well, I am saving my infantry points for dual burster + lockdown for a while as I bet more libs in the air.
  2. Harry Dresden

do you know how hard it is to get a lock on a liberator during a small fight without being turned into kibble? That might work ok for large fights but for small base defence its next to impossible. As soon as the lib sees a lock getting aquired it starts looking for you. This is even assuming that the liberator is even in lock range and not high altitude daltoning.
    So you have a game of whack-a-mole where the infantry below are trying to sneak out with enough time to get a lock and a rocket off, which needs to be repeated several times potentially with the lib healing itself between strikes.
    Meanwhile your flag is already tipped and you can't get to it.

If that's the way that Sony want to go then so be it but its going to annoy a lot of casual players that don't have certed AA maxes or ESF.
  3. Ballistix

What's wrong Higby? Do you keep getting farmed by someone who put thought into where to sit/place mines/setup a turret and you can be bothered to go hunt him down?

DOWN WITH THIS SORT OF THING!!!!

NO KILLCAM in any way, shape or form

It is dumbing the game down when there are many ways to flush your attackers out, you just have to be prepared to work
    • Up x 8
  4. Serevn

Ah yeah, I'm used to everyone and their mothers using flak armor, including myself, so it usually takes 2 indirect hits anyways. Which is the point of flak armor. Now flack armor doesn't matter against daltons cause it takes 2 shots whether you have flack armor or not.
  5. UberBonisseur

It's not helping new players to "learn" the game.
    It gives them the answer rightaway, while giving the option for outfits to abuse this magical data.

If you're being suppressed, the best option is to have your squad leader poking his head out, getting killed and placing a marker at the enemy's position.

And one question has to be asked:
    What is the point of the new Death Screen ?
    I see medals using a lot of space dedicated to medals and showing off equipment they can't yet afford.
    You place kills are the primary goal for new players.

Meanwhile, there are essential tips like these anyone should learn:

How to reduce hull exposure
    [IMG]

The importance of Sunderer placement
    [IMG]

Give official names to your buildings

There are many examples.
    Slap a very basic animation on these. It would teach new players about common strategies and tactics.
    • Up x 5
  6. Modern Ancestor

No place to run. No place to hide.
  7. Ash87

Your average forumgoer right now: GRAHBLARGHDEATHSCREEN PLAYER ANGRY, PLAYER SMASH

Can we cut down on the caps and nonsensical ultimatums? Seriously after like 14 months f being involved in this community, it's just kind of... I mean it doesn't even engender a reaction that I would call negative, it's... Cute. Kind of like when you watch a kitten fall off of something, it's adorable, though I'm sure the animal is somewhat annoyed it just bumped it's head.

And before some misguided youth says: "Well we have to be extra negative to drive our point home" No... no you don't. Go listen to creed and punch a pillow if you really think dressing up legitimate arguments in such nonsense is going to make people want to read you.

Now, on to the topic at hand: The line (It's not a kill cam, it's a line on a map) that points to your killer, and the person who assisted is pretty much exactly what people have been saying they wanted to avoid since... well, since this system was announced. The players overwhelmingly do not want kill cams. If it was an open 90 degree wedge that showed the general direction your death came from... that would be one thing. If there were two wedges, one that showed the vague direction of your killer, and one that showed the vague direction of the one who assisted... that would be okay. Pointing at the person who killed you though, is wildly unnecessary because it encourages metagaming (See next paragraph for what I am talking about, because I don't mean it is a Metagaming element like how people usually misuse that word)

Metagaming, at least the definition I am using, and I am familiar with, is the use of information that one would get from outside sources to ascertain something they should not know. In roleplaying, metagaming is when someone gets IC information in an OOC fashion. This is a bannable offense in every roleplaying game I have ever played, because it is Cheesing... plain and simple.

That is what the line system is, it's legitimatized cheesing, that works like a crutch to hamper people from developing situational awareness, and the ready exposure of classes that rely on flanking tactics or stealth.
    • Up x 5
  8. Valok

Since the other topics got closed due to "duplication" and we were asked to discuss it here, I'll just leave my feedback and all the discussions I had today about this particular topic here - Let's hope it also does not end up closed.
    ------------------------------------------
    "Kill Cam" (Or anything like it)? Unacceptable.

Completely unacceptable.

This isn't by any means a "small change", not at all. Can't some of you really see the negative impact this will have on the entire game?

Very small examples:
    As a Sniper there are situations where said Sniper should be relocating, most of the times it is when they are taking shots too close to enemies. Due to the distance it's easier to hear the cloak/gun sound/tracers.

There are those other times however where you spend 15minutes looking for proper advantage point and it is in your best interest to not move and start taking carefully well place shots, otherwise the already low cert gain that you have with this class will go even lower if you are forced to move for every single kill you make. And for Stalker's.. Well I don't even need to explain why this is terrible.

But it doesn't stop here, oh no.. LA's will also get hit hard due to this. Actually, any person/class that uses positioning over frontal assault can consider this a terrible ideia.

TL;DR This is a bad idea BFR style. Don't you dare to implement it.

-------------------------------------------
    Wecomeinpeace said:
    “benefitial for newbies especially”

It's not "beneficial" for then - Why you ask? Because they won't be the only ones with access to it. Wanna know what I managed to improve a lot of my 500hours on this game? Awareness/Positioning. Now if we combine my already long experience with a automatic enemy locator what do you think will happen when the "newbie" gets a "lucky" shot on me or actually studies the overall map and use it to his advantage? Correct, with the "killcam" I will know for a sure where he is and I'll just head over there and end his little party.
    -------------------------------------------
    Bonom Denej said:
    “I don't quite understand why. It's not like you're going to stand in the exact same position after you killed your pray. Only campers would get kicked in the nuts by this minimap.”

This hole always keep moving otherwise you are a "camper" is so incorrect that it baffles me of how people keep insisting in saying it.

Sometimes it's better to find a proper flanking spot and stay there for some minutes, most specially if you are defending and there are enemies everywhere. Sometimes moving equals to instant death.

As always a experience player will analize the situation and decide what it's best considering the oposition, the overall objective and the resources available.

To say that you always need to be moving is just as incorrect as to say that you always should stay in one place.
    ---------------------------------------------
    K2k4 said:
    “If you go to the link at the first page.. it shows the mock up of what they're doing. There's no kill cam, it clearly shows they've nixed that idea. They instead will have a line on the minimap showing which direction the kill came from and continuing beyond the origin point. I'm not sure where the early picture in this thread came from showing the exact location of the killer, but it's not on the roadmap.

Still this will hamper infiltrators and light assaults some but it will erase much confusion and give newbies a chance at some retribution without completely giving them an advantage they otherwise would not have.”

The game already offers more than enough ways for you (or your allies) to detect the location of incoming fire. Even if by the end it doesn't end up showing the exact location, that small line/marker on the minimap will be more than enough for experienced players with hundreds/thousands of hours played on these same maps to pinpoint your exact location in mere seconds. Again, this decision is not newbie friendly because they won't be the only ones with access to it.
  9. Wobberjockey

the other day i manage to flank and singlehandedly suppress a line of enemy snipers at crossroads watchtower, SOLELY BECAUSE THEY DID NO KNOW I WAS BEHIND THEM.

i only took shots where i knew i would kill instantly.
    i spent a good 5-6 min getting into position
    i made good use of terrain and cover
    and i exploited their ignorance of my position

with this death screen, i would have been dead after the first kill or so... not the 17 -18 i racked up.
    • Up x 2
  10. Tommyp2006

What I was expecting it to show, was like a very short arrow point in the general direction of your killer, basically just to show if you were killed from the front, back, or side. Wssnt expecting a line straight to the enemy. But a very short arrow I'd be ok with.
  11. Merakov

Ohh come on deathcam ? Rly ?
    I think people already have enough hints to show the location of enemies
    1.Bullets leave a colored trail when fired
    2.A red arrow-like indicator on the hud shows from which direction you recieved dmg
    Also deathcam will injure heavily the recon darts and motions sensors
    You sniper some poor guy who stoped to take a shot
    He is in a squad now 12 people now where you are
    He is in a platoon now 24 people now where you are
    He is in a outfit that is zerging gj everyone knows where you are
    and the first guy doesnt even have to move a brain cell to figure out my location because u put an apple in my mouth ,put me on a silver platter and present me to the enemy as a side dish
    I dont think I should be punished because people suffer from severe tunnel vision
  12. CrashB111

I'm not going to knock them for making the Dalton always require 2 hits for infantry killing barring a direct hit.

It is an AV gun, not an infantry farmer.
  13. Tommyp2006

The problem for me is that it doesn't show a general direction, it shows exact location.
  14. Wobberjockey

i know not everyone looks at the PTS sub forum, but this change NEEDS to be seen by the general populous

note the upper right that shows you EXACTLY where the shot was taken from

[IMG]

if the changes goes live there will be no point in flanking as a single sniper anymore, and certainly no point in flanking as a stalker. once you shoot, your cover is gone. silencer or no.

are you a LA who likes to exploit the fact people never look up? Welp, better get used to finding a new spot to hide each time.

are you a HA who likes to ambush armor?
    their entire outfit is going to know where you are after you kill one tank

and forget about the tactical value of flanking as a a squad.

please try to put your feedback in the PTS forum so this thread doesn't get swept under the rug by the mods
    • Up x 9
  15. Sulsa

No offense SOE but I would have thought that was almost a Photoshop joke with the line showing who got you.
    Please quit spoon feeding people. Please...
  16. Copasetic

If the goal is to help new players learn the game then this feature should at least be limited to new players. After BR 10 (or whatever) your death screen just stops showing the direction altogether, nobody is going to keep throwing away their character for this minor help.

This is a pretty hard shooter to get into. Sure, this little feature isn't going to do much to explain the mechanics of the game, but new players need all the help they can get. And by limiting it to new players only you ensure that it doesn't ruin the game for everyone else in the process.
  17. CSarsalid

In terms of infiltrators against the death screen, I first off feel like the death screen is now a half ***** attempt by SOE to turn this game into a easy mode shooter. Its an insult to my intelligence is all it is. Furthermore, if the intent was to neff camping through this implementation then I yes I support the ideal but not the implementation. Infiltratots namely snipers share a place with lightnings and MAXes where the only reason you use one is to farm infantry easily. Infiltrators beed to be given a role, but the implementation of a kill cam is simply dumbing down the game.
  18. Inex

I would love to one day find out what the actual definition of that is.

From this thread, I think it's something along the lines of "Anything that threatens my K/D".
    • Up x 2
  19. DeadliestMoon

False, not everyone and the forums is a poor representation of the playerbase. I am all for the current deathscreen, but to ease the masses, a vague cone would be more suitable than a straight line.
  20. DxAdder

The new death screen is a complete waste of development time and money.

Not to mention the pages of threads we will all have to read because of it.
    • Up x 1