[Suggestion] Dear SOE: New reticle updates

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Eranorz, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Eranorz

There are some folk who might think that constructive feedback should always come in the form of a criticism, but I think that "constructive compliments" are also a thing if they are given honestly and without extraneous trimmings, so I'm going to post my thoughts here on how I feel about the new weapon sight designs. I am actually one of those people who doesn't necessarily volunteer a whole lot of compliments but in this case I was pleased enough that I felt it was worth a pat on the back. I do see so much moaning (not that some of it isn't useful when it is intelligently posted!) on this forum, but I believe in giving credit where credit is due. That being said...

I think you guys did a bang-up job with the new reticle designs. As an infiltrator I have noticed a great improvement both in the performance of the TRAP-M1 and the TSAR-42 weapon platforms, just to name a couple (Now the TRAP does still need some serious love to make it viable relative to other weapons, and admittedly I do not intend to keep using it after I auraxium it... but this is supposed to be a compliment so that's for another post ;) ). The new 4x sight on the TSAR seems to be laser accurate, and the new pseudo-sight that you see in stealth is much appreciated, good job noticing that it was a bit clunky and felt weird that the sight disappeared completely along with you when you entered stealth. Seriously, give the person who recommended that in the update a bonus of some kind.

Concerning the combat performance of the new reticles, you certainly do notice the improvement with sustained fire on full-auto weapons;recoil control is more natural with a truer sight - but for me the biggest plus is the greatly improved degree of accuracy you can now obtain when strafing left or right while aiming down the sights. As a result I do find myself much more comfortable ADS strafing in a tight close-quarter situation with all guns, but particularly the TSAR-42 and I'm sure some players feel this way with other close-mid range sniper rifles where great accuracy is demanded and one spoiled almost surely means imminent death in certain situations. As a result of the above improvements I find myself using the TSAR more often and simply enjoying the playstyle much more;it is more fluid and fun.

The feeling now is that win or lose you always have a chance, and that since you are able to trust the weapon's accuracy more that the blame/responsibility is more on your shoulders as the shooter;it's one less variable that you have to be contending with so you can just focus on getting better.

I honestly don't have any hard statistics or screenshots or anything but I don't think that I need them to get my points across and probably they would just be a redundancy in this case. Also I feel confident that I'm pretty well in tune with how a new design implementation feels and how it sits in the overall experience of the product, and I am very pleased with how the new sights feel and behave; It feels like all the weapons across the board shoot more "true" to your aim. So, thanks! Here's to hoping for more updates like this one...
    -

Kudos,
    Eranorz