Dasanfall Stats Site is biased now

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Pruto, Dec 2, 2013.

1. BoomBoom4You

Oh yes, I've seen you before, but what does that have to do with stats? :confused: Forgive my ignorance, I haven't read most the posts in this thread lol
  2. Mustarde

Vonic is such an infilnoob... I bet if you gave him an SMG, cloak and 4 medkits plus recon darts he'd have no idea what to do with himself.

This thread has delivered. Thank you for tuning in to another episode of the kar[DA]shians!
    • Up x 4
  3. Negator

Enough with the epeen nonsense Liberty.
  4. Liberty

Nothing really, I was pretty sure your statement was said tongue in cheek so I made one in return. This thread (even though it was a train wreck from the start) has managed to go further off the rails. So I figured, why not! Also who can pass up an opportunity to take a jab at R3DO, I mean seriously.

Listen man, no one tunes into Keeping up with the Kar[DA]shians to see calm level headed discussions. While we are capable of having them, when it turns into a DA drama thread, we have to deliver to keep our ratings up. Currently we are destroying NUC on the official forums (I know they think they have some drama weight on reddit, but come on seriously, reddit? They might as well be on PBS trying to keep up with NBC, CBS or FOX for ratings.
    • Up x 1
  5. Zagnaut

Programming and design are ongoing and iterative processes. Even excellent creators can spawn horrible content when not given the time or data to make the right decisions in the right places. Weapon balance, map design, base design, adjusting engine numbers -- all of these take a lot of work and information to do correctly. Both of which take time.

Overall, Ps2 has progressed rather well in the past year. It will never be perfect, but a perfect game implies there's no more changes and adjustments to be made. A static game leads to stagnant gameplay and presents fewer opportunities for top-level players to raise the bar on one another.
    • Up x 2
  6. WorldOfForms

Okay, wait. Stop right there. Did you play PS1?

They are not asking for "CoD gameplay". They are asking for PS1 style bases, where infantry had huge areas to fight underground where no vehicles were allowed.

I cannot stress this enough - separate fighting areas - one for combined arms, one for infantry only, is the essence of PlanetSide. Every fight in PS1 began as combined arms, and then progressed to infantry only. It was the heart and soul of the game.

So stop with this "CoD" crap.
    • Up x 6
  7. Cab00se187

I cannot stress this enough that they are asking for every area to be infantry only. There is already a ton of bases that are infantry only
  8. WorldOfForms

In PS1, every building in the game was infantry only. Towers were completely enclosed and almost impervious to vehicle spam. Bases had courtyards that vehicles could drive into, but every capture point, and every spawn room, was far, far away from the reach of vehicles.

The PlanetSide structure was always outdoors = vehicles rule (but infantry can take part), and bases = infantry only.

PS2 messed this dynamic up by allowing vehicles way, way too much ability to affect base fights and point captures.
    • Up x 1
  9. Cab00se187

You are aware on who they are competing against, right?
  10. WorldOfForms

Who is competing against what?
  11. jak

False, but I don't expect you to understand anything new after a 1000 reply thread and then this 290ish one.
    • Up x 3
  12. Liberty

• Up x 2
  13. Garmerr

I'm going have to agree that it is biased. There is no way I'm only having 860 megaHigbies of fun.
  14. Cab00se187

SOE, their main competition is BF and CoD. So much underground bases right. So much block out vehicles.
  15. Flapatax

Honest question: is this doge-speak or an actual point?

As a side note, Battlefield is a bad comparison because vehicles can affect points but they are much more limited in terms of how many a team has access to.
  16. Cab00se187

Figured you wouldn't be able to grasp the comparison. SOE needs players so like every other game company they copy from bigger successful games. There is a reason why PS2 is not PS1. PS1 was a niche game
  17. Zagnaut

Caboose, if you are truly as threatened by our playstyle as you seem, I think that means it's working.

Though it also seems you're make some pretty wild assumptions without considering enough perspectives on the topic you're discussing. If you played Ps1, you might've had the chance to appreciate how much interesting gameplay evolved from its map and base design.

Don't assume that just because we're an "elite" outfit that enjoys dunking on other players that we have negative intentions for the game itself. Or even worse, assume that we wish the game to be made easier for us.

We support greater gameplay depth in all aspects of the game -- especially more interesting spaces for air, ground, and infantry to fight. From the snapshots we've seen of Amerish, we seem to be getting all three.
    • Up x 2
  18. Keiichi25

Actually, I'm one for every base being infantry only... However, to be honest, this stats argument is rather foolish and a more accurate way of depicting a fight I see going on from time to time, is watching some of the open air bases where the defending infantry is less willing to go outside of the spawn room more because as they push out, a Liberator, ESF or Tank spams the causeway to get to the critical points instead of infantry. Which then results in instant or near instant death for the defender and less 'risk' to the attacker. In Planetside 1, this isn't an argument of it reverting down to 'CoD/MoH/BF' playing.

Thing to point out, however, is that using stats to justify this is the wrong way, especially with a stats system that does more to stroke ego than actually reflect things such as weapons and the percentage damage involved in a particular kill from a 'full health' level. When I look at the 'statistics' when I die, sometimes that information is also incorrect and credits people for the 'effort' but for the wrong reasons at times too. Discounting infantry weapons, such as shotguns, is also, in my opinion a bad idea. While 'yes', it is 'bad players playing bad with bad tools', information wise, it is part of the equation you can't discount as an over all. If you want to also nix 'bad' things like C4, Grenades and UBGLs should also be 'dropped', as those give inflated values and not necessarily 'skillful' at times, and also still does not prove the point of certain problems in base design as well, like for instance, while the blind of shooting out of spawn/teleport rooms reduces certain direct fire explosive use, the we placed Engineer with an UBGL can still hit some areas with their explosive. It isn't really 'skillful' if that is going to be the argument to discount them.

At best, weighted stat considerations should be made, but again, the source of stats needs to be 'proper', and from what I have seen pulled, time and time again, leans more to flawed reasoning than actual "observed" situations.
  19. WorldOfForms

It's obvious to everybody that SOE copied Battlefield and took very little from PS1 to make PS2. The question is, do you think that is a GOOD thing? I ask because you are arguing that it's a bad thing to have "every base be for infantry only" which seems to imply that having the game be more similar to Battlefield, makes it better.

The thing is, PS1 may have been a niche game, but it lasted for 9 years. It was in a healthier population state one year after release than this game is (I'm thinking of player retention as opposed to total number of players). How do we know that PS2's choice to stray from PS1 was the right choice? At the rate we are losing players, it's obvious that PS2 is already a niche game also, and I don't see how this game will last 9 years.

Finally, if you had played PS1, you might have noticed that almost every change that has happened in this game since release has made it more like PS1. The developers are moving toward that model. And the latest evidence was in the dev reddit AMA when they specifically said vehicles should not be able to spam ANY capture point. That means infantry-only play, at every capture point.
  20. Owleyes

So let me get this strait, An Infantry centric outfit is being Infantry centric on their website? QUICK !!! Lets write a thread about it !!

I've never even heard of this website till this thread, And I'm really surprised at how much people are freaking out about an Infantry centric outfit's website that most people on most servers don't even know or care about.

The game must be good if this is what people are freaking out about. LOL