[Suggestion] Darklight

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Archiadus, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Archiadus

The suggestion is pretty straight forward:

Make it so that you can only equip the darklight on your primary weapon, I feel that there's currently no downside to using it on your secondary weapon which is the reason that it gets used on sidearms by pretty much any decent player.

Not asking for a nerf or anything here, it's just my opinion that if you allow players to use an attachment that completely counters an ability that they should at least have to give up something of near equal value rather than sticking it on weapons that generally don't use attachments in that slot.

Thoughts?

While you're at it please fix the issue where the light shines through every obstacle in-game
  2. TorigomaSET

The counter is, it takes up your Laser Sight, cutting the Acc of most Secondaries greatly. And makes you a big glowing "Shoot Me" target for any Infil in the area.
    • Up x 4
  3. M2_Bradley

Most of the time I pull it out when I'm in a room full O friendlies and I'm searching for that one cloaker that is ghost capping the point.There is no danger.
    • Up x 1
  4. TorigomaSET

In that situation, that could be said about absolutely Anything, no matter WHAT disadvantages it has.
  5. Archiadus

For giving up some accuracy on your secondary, which if I may add is hardly noticeable if you have half a decent aim , you can completely counter an ability in game, there's no infil-pills that you can take to not glow for a short duration (flares vs lock-ons ).

Maybe my opinion is biased because I enjoy playing with the stalker cloak and hate getting spotted by the light of death but I have to ask: is it really that wrong to ask that the counter to my whole ability should be limited to primary weapons?

I'm not asking them to remove the darklight from the game completely even though it currently should until it's fixed, all I'm asking is that it becomes a primary attachment so that a player at the very least has to swap his/her loadout to hunt me down if they don't want to lose their forward grip etc.
  6. Kalivix

I was hoping this would be about a buff for the darklight as its so horrible right now, you can't put it on your primary as you would sacrifice too much and having a light flashing our your location the entire time would be stupid, but on a pistol its hardly great as you need to pull it out to check for infs who often just see you do it and unstealth and kill you while your trying to switch back to your primary.

Then theres how the light points right up when you sprint so if they sprint off you can't see them anyway if you sprint to keep up and if you don't they get away.

theres a reason most BR100s I see are playing a inf...
  7. Rhumald

The light actually only points up to other people when you run... you umm... have used it on a sidearm, right?

you can keep it pulled out, run around, and an infiltrator will never know you have it until you start shooting, and in the case of a stalker cloak, that's when it's too late to try and counter you.
  8. Kalivix

I use it to see infs but when I sprint the light seems to point up so I don't trust it to see them, if it does still show people up as if its pointing in front of you thats cool. Still I wish they'd fix the visibility issues on lower settings, I can run it on high but I prefer to get high fps and go on low or med BUT that means infs are almost invisible at all times
  9. Matt0193

Sure, but Infiltrators shouldn't have access to SMGs then.
  10. Kalivix

Wowzer just bumped graphics up to high again to see how much difference it made and my GOD its like 100x easier to see infs, they actually have a visible outline even on esamir while moving instead of 100% invisibility even when sprinting like on low.
  11. Matt0193

So buff Stalker Cloaking in a different way, such as making Stalker cloaking less obvious or even immune to Darklight, since the change you're asking for also buffs Hunter Cloaking as an inadvertent effect. I agree that Darklight hardcounters Stalker Cloaking, which is a shame considering you're committing to Cloaking as a core part of the playstyle by taking that over Hunter, but all this change would do is make life better for you and a handful of others using Stalker Cloaking but further buff Hunter infiltrators, something that doesn't need buffing at all.

And just to add the reply was to the OP, where you didn't mention Stalker cloaking.
  12. Archiadus

It might be the difference in game settings between us but I honestly have never used the darklight to spot a Hunter cloak as they're quite obvious to see in the range where it matters and at the range that I can't see them anymore the darklight would not help at all as it's range is limited.

Considering the above I don't see how this would buff the Hunter cloak, in fact it could even be considered a nerf against it because players would use the darklight on their primary weapons which saves them the trouble of having to switch to their sidearm when an SMG infiltrator runs past them.

I'll edit the OP to make it more clear that I'm talking about the Stalker cloak. :)

Edit: It seems that I'm not allowed to edit to the OP anymore, no idea as to why that is.
  13. Inex

Yes you are.
    Yes it is.
    Certainly not asking for nerfs.
    Stalker cloak is why we have Darklight in the first place.
  14. TheKhopesh

Plus, if you confront a stalker with a pistol, you're on roughly even ground.
    (He has a bit of advanced warning, as he can see that light getting close and know what's coming, while you get the extra 100 health and -possibly- useful ability for the fight.)

And if you go to cheat this balance by using your primary after you find him, you have to give him a free second or two while you endure that primary weapon swap time AFTER the both of you know his cover is blown...
  15. Archiadus

You do know that the darklight currently has the ability to go straight through walls and any other obstacle in the game, revealing you behind it for all the world to see. SOE seems to be unable to fix that which is why I stated that they should remove it until fixed, I know that they won't be removing it and they probably won't be fixing it any time soon.

As for the rest of your post, it barely has any content in it to respond to.
  16. Kalivix

They can remove darklight till they fix it if the make infs much more visible at least while crouched and walking, if you remove it then you will literally just have to shoot every inch of the room to see if theres a inf in there
  17. Inex

Only precisely enough to get the point across.

But if you want something more verbose, look forward to my upcoming multi-post argument for why I love shooting people and Infiltrators are invisible so I can't shoot them and they should be removed or at least heavily nerfed so I can shoot them.