Darker Night is in trouble

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ash87, Oct 30, 2013.

1. MaxCarz

As others have stated, darker nights are pointless due to player settings (brightness, gamma, monitor settings etc) and IRNV / Thermal.

Here's a shot from that beta nights video with brightness up:
    [IMG]
    Here's a shot from a current night video (youtube.com/watch?v=PDZ7ZgZnIrM) with brightness turned down:
    [IMG]
    Bottom line, you can already have darker nights, just stop being cheesy and turn your own brightness / gamma down.

The reality is, even if they make the game pitch black, it will just look this:
    [IMG]
    Or
    [IMG]
    • Up x 4
  2. Thirdful

Darker nights are needed if they want to keep the player base honestly. You want to give them a real feeling. Not to mention "oh sweet, its night, lets do this tactic." feeling.

The issue I have is that they are programing it poorly since it can be bypassed by low settings vs high. Like old games with vegetation you think you are hiding in tall grass but the guy with low resolution has it turned off for better performance. I also remember a few older games but cant remember the titles that made it so if you turned up the brightness in dark areas it still didnt help with views beyond what was right in front of you. Has the engine/development code made it so that is impossible again?

All in all, I say keep the dark. Dont give into the people wanting easy mode. Easy mode is what killed EQ1 for me. Some of us play this game for the challenge and different experiences.
  3. wolfva

I wouldn't mind darker nights; but like MaxCarz said, all you have to do is adjust your gamma settings. Sure, it's great for ambiance, but a lot of people will just forego it. Like foliage, for instance. I keep it up high on my game. I like the way it looks, I like the way my camoed tank looks in a bush....like a rock that no one can see until it blows them up. Well, unless they have thermal. Or foliage turned down low...in which case it looks like I parked my very large and obvious tank on a bundle of twigs.
    • Up x 2
  4. Ultramarine

Those images are atrocious. If you want to play with that kind of crap playing on your monitor go for it, some people play games for reasons other than competition. From a tactical point of view, darker nights mean different strategies, from an aesthetic view, it's deeper immersion and more thrill from the game. Those pictures would wreck any immersion, and just will not do.
    It's one thing to submit an opinion and make a case, but you just threw a mild insult at everyone who does not share your opinion and told them to shut up. :\
  5. MaxCarz

Yep, I'm pro darker night if they do it right. For me they would have to blackout thermal and IRNV, and maybe even 3d spotting so you can actually sneak around. Otherwise there is no point, it just becomes the high contract B&W time / dorito shoot of day, rather than night.
  6. Bankrotas

I can't ******* use those, cause gamma is too high at 0.
  7. MaxCarz

I agree they look bad, but many people will feel forced to make their game look bad.

It's not intended to offend, you are entitled to your opinion as much as I am. My opinion is making things a little darker as they currently did yields no benefit and can already be achieved by those who want it.
  8. Ultramarine

I'd rather it didn't look bad. I'm not saying pitch black, but dark enough that their lighting engine actually gets to shine, and that I plan differently based on night. It'd be a lot of real quality for me personally. How much would the other side lose?
    (also thanks for keeping it respectful)
  9. Badname707

So the rest of the playerbase (how many people play dedicated infil anyways? Too late, stopped caring) should not get darker nights because infiltrators won't be able to see things for a while? Who's selfish?

And if you don't snipe, why are you calling us selfish for not caring about a non-issue?
  10. faykid

i hate nights even now tbh, and when they're darker i will have to tweak my brightness settings every time the night falls
    • Up x 1
  11. Regpuppy

Regardless of his attitude or what you may think of his wording, even though I personally saw no insult, he's right. No matter if you like how it looks or not, there will be people who do it and those people will be enough to get others to do it just to compete with them and so on until we get to the most stubborn sect who HAS to have their immersion. Because of this, these tactics you mention only work against people who choose not to alter their settings to combat the darker night. Which, judging by the nature of outfits and how they'll use/abuse a mechanic to the max. They will, en masse. I know I will, because I don't want to get abused by some dude who does.
    • Up x 1
  12. Cab00se187

As much as I am in favor of nights actually being night, spotting will just ruin it anyway. Oh look a dorito
  13. MaxCarz

Even if they got the dark looking good, don't you think the 3D spotting and IRNV / thermal would just make it pointless anyway? I really doubt they would remove IRNV / Thermal though, its a crutch that many lean on.
  14. Ultramarine

I think it'll make them a tactical device! I think people will use them at night for their advantages, which adds depth to the gameplay :D
  15. Nogrim313

there are a lot of ways to do this where that wont help you, doing it the right way (that way) is one of the most important aspects of doing this right so people like you can't do that to gain an advantage
  16. gnometheft

Somebody get this on Higby's desk
    • Up x 3
  17. Krayus_Korianis

I don't care to give the VS an advantage... o_O LOOK AT THEM! They're BLACK for god's sake!
  18. Chipay

That's racist!
    • Up x 1
  19. Chipay

I'd like to make flashlights more viable, been toying around with how shadows work on PTS (DONT BAN ME SOE)
    If you actually change them to full black unless lit up by static lightning or flashlights (this means turning up brightness and gamma won't work, since you're only changing the gamma and brightness of 'pure black'), you get something like this:
    [IMG]

Here you can also obviously see that flashlights are not powerful enough to ever be useful (and infiltrator paradise, infiltrator paradise everywhere).
    • Up x 1
  20. Krayus_Korianis

Nope, it's called truth! o_O Your outfits are BLACK! Night is your friend! >.>

I got a joke for you...

"What do you say when you see a blaster floating in the middle of the night?"

Give up?

KILL THE VS!