Daily reminder that the 90% of the weapons of PS2 are overpriced

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Trucky, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Timantium

Honestly, some of you sound like the biggest misers on the planet. If you don't want to purchase weapons with cash, then use the in-game certification currency. Honestly though, a double or triple SC weekend with a $45 investment for $100 worth of station cash is not a bad deal if you haven't paid a penny to play this game. That's less than the price to purchase a console FPS.

How many millions of people are willing to buy gold from the chinese in WoW or spend weeks of their life just to get to max level so they can even PLAY THE CONTENT?

In PS2 you get to play a AAA MMO and a FPS for the price of an email address (absolutely nothing). Yes, you can spend money to customize your build, but that doesn't impact your competitiveness at all - you are just as viable on day 1 as you are later into the game. There is no "I-Win" type of gun in this game that I have seen, and (as you pointed out) many of the other gun options have small differences. So, only spend the money if you have a compelling reason. You're going to play anyway, so if you want to use that gun and you don't want to play for three days to earn it, then choke up $5 during double cash, or wait for it to go on sale. What's the big deal with this?
  2. EvilPhd

1. Wait for 2x/3x SC day
    2. Purge bank account
    3. Everything's on sale!
  3. SgtScum

It's only overpriced if you buy it at full price. As to if its even worth 75% off if you buy with double $C and a half off deal is up to you personally.

Caveat emptor etc.
  4. KodanBlack

They are not over priced. Fact is, a LOT of people are buying weapons at the current price. Therefore, those people feel that the cost is at least equal to the value.
  5. Garzin

... are you even reading anything? You don't get anything at all.
    "It's only overpriced if you buy it at full price." - the point
  6. Kevin12

I do remember seeing a lot of people commenting about how they spend cash on some new OP weapon(annihilator and rocket pods and such stuff) only to find out it gets nerfed once more people buy it.

(Is going to happen to pump action(and other) shotguns and the striker soon so better not buy those if you don't like to get screwed over...)
  7. Clutchstep

No, that's not what he's saying at all. He's saying that there is a solution for those who think that the current prices are too much, and that SOE already has mechanisms for reducing the price of weapons. It requires some sacrifice and patience, but it's there. Just because you want to buy the weapon that just got released today and don't want to pay $7 doesn't mean it's not a reasonable price, it's just not a reasonable price for you. Value is relative.

He's just putting things in context: Even without waiting for the double/triple SC sales and a daily sale, $7 is less than a drink at a bar, about the same as a value meal at McD's, about the same as a really big latte, and less than a movie ticket. If you shell out money for any of those things, what makes buying a virtual gun so different? You're paying for transient entertainment.
  8. Takoita

IMHO, the problem with 1000 cert options is that very, very few of them are good enough compared to other available options to warrant 'the highest tier' price.

Don't even start me on the model/texture/sound/animation quality and diversity.

Those TR AI MAX guns. They look and sound exactly the same, all four of them. Sans the Onslaught - it spins, flashes and 'plinks' faster (which can cause an already 'meh' sound to reach teeth-grinding levels of annoyance if played long enough).

Those LMG/Bolt-action sniper rifle animations. Guns with the bolt on the right side are not reloaded like that. It's almost like you've never seen how AK is reloaded, ffs. Make our toon reload it the right way - it will allow you to showcase the model in full without breaking immersion while also leaving the top half of screen unobstructed, making us actually able to see what's happening around us.

VS pump-action shotgun getting reloaded with what looks suspiciously like shells. I does not compute.

NC guns recieving the nonsensical slap to the side. Do our rebel brethren recieve such crappy equipment that giving a gun a hearty bump is standart procedure now?

Those animations for weapons that got artificially slowed some time after the release. The ponderous toss of a C4 brick. The extra-slow equip animation for the CARV.

Outright glitchiness. I've witnessed my toon sticking an underbarrel grenade launcher shot into a space the magazine should go on TRAC5S and call it a day.

Metro 2033, while being quite a sh*tty game on almost all levels, had better animations than that. There was a pneumatic gun - the air pressure in which you had to monitor and periodically pressurize via a bicycle tire pump (and said gun functioned differently on different levels of pressure). The charge in your flashlight's battery was kept up with manual *vzhick-vzhick-vzhick*ing device that resembled an actual flashlight mechanism that worked like that in real life. Changing filters in your gas mask looked plausible. Normal guns had gaps in their magazines that showed remaining ammunition accurately directly on the model.

Why we can't have that?

Why Vanu pew-pew guns don't vent coolant with a beautiful cloud of gases and a cool *woosh* of noise? They do give off boiling liquid sounds already.

Why NC gauss guns don't get loaded with consumable power sources in addition to archaic gunpowder slugthrower ammunition? Fallout did that - and that gauss was the best of them all.

Why TR dakka-dakka guns don't get that rivulets of pre-packaged, explosively-expansive pacifiers rushing blindingly fast from the drum to the barrel with fervor, eager to fulfill their duty to the Republic?! (...only to be discarded the moment they are no longer of use; ejected carelessly to the side, torn, burned, bent and spent - to be trod underfoot by their own masters...) Even if it's just sprites. Call of Duty 2 showed how awesomely good-looking those can be in capable hands.
    • Up x 1
  9. SgtScum

Then don't buy it at full price? Plenty of opportunities to get at least 50% and up to 75% or even more off nearly every month especially with the package deals. *shrugs*
  10. Trucky

Damn.. i was gone because university exam and now this already has over 2400 views and 100 responses in less than 12 hours, and still people is discussing this like there was no tomorrow. It's pretty sad since people is still focusing in the SC and i was talking about the cert prices but i guess they're pretty much the same since everything cost 1000 certs/700 sc anyways.
  11. Rift23

It's not about affording the gun, it's about the prices jumping up and down like the stock market. And what's to say an even better deal won't show up down the road? Or that said gun won't be nerfed to **** and replaced by something better you could have spent the same money on? That's what bugs me about the F2P model over the PTP one.
  12. Jaloro

They aren't misers, they're 11. And mommy won't bust out her credit card for guns.
  13. SgtScum

The reason the cert price is so high is two fold.

A) It drives $C/boost/membership sales without which the game goes belly up.

B) It encourages long and/or frequent play sessions to keep the server filled without which the game goes belly up.
  14. SturmovikDrakon

wow

just WOW

that first image is so true it's actually sad
    • Up x 2
  15. SturmovikDrakon

All of TR LMGs reload sounds are completely out of sync as well. 4 months after release

Your complaints and ideas mirror my own. I always did think that VS animations should include some sort of cooling animation/smoke coming out when the battery is removed or something.

There is literally a dozen ways you can make all of the weapons reload uniquely even if they all look the same with enough imagination.
    • Up x 2
  16. FinnSimmons

My point is that stuff is to expensive for my taste. I cant get much before i decide I spent too much. Why even try to start buying stuff if I will never be able to get everything I want for a reasonable amount? If prices were lowered I could get everything I want and SOE could finally get my spare Euros. Its a win win really. Of course there is a limit to this but usually it goes like this: cheaper --> more people buy --> happy customer --> happy company.
    Lets see and hope they don't introduce the 100€ Monocle :rolleyes: if you get the reference.
  17. KodanBlack

People (myself included) are still buying them, knowing this. SOE needs to make money, and people will pay what the market will bear. Because of simple economic laws, and the fact that SOE is making money off of selling new weapons, they are obviously not over priced. If they were over priced, people would stop buying them, and a new (lower) price would be set. It's pretty simple.
  18. SuBs

Insults aside, we're neither. We're unhappy with the absurd price of the weapons CONSIDERING the disgracefully low quality of those weapons (see gripes about totally out of sync reload animations and poor textures, bolts not moving/guns that aren't functionally correct)

They're pumping these recycled weapons out with barely a modicum of effort or thought and you're more than happy to spend $7 on them, going so far as to criticise those who, unlike yourself, aren't devoid of standards. I'd say the joke's on you, moneybags.
  19. SuBs

I'm afraid there's a gaping hole in your understanding of simple economics. And it isn't that black and white...

You aren't considering the notion that if they were cheaper and had actually been worked harder on (decent animations, unique aesthetic) a greater percentage of the playerbase would feel inclined to buy them, thus making SOE more delicious money.

Hell, the $7 price tag wouldn't be an issue for me personally if the guns were of a respectable quality-- i.e. on par with BF3 in terms of texture work and crispness and accuracy of reloading animations-- but they aren't. They're absurdly low quality.
  20. Shockwave44

If they charged $30 for each gun, would you still think that?

The guns they are putting out are not worth $7. They are worth something, but definitely not $7. Now, if they actually tried and gave each weapon a unique look, then it might be worth that much.
    • Up x 1