Daily reminder that the 90% of the weapons of PS2 are overpriced

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Trucky, Apr 1, 2013.

1. CletusMcGuilly

I have not. But you have obviously never played a free to play game before. This is the model. It will not change. Deal with it.
  2. Flashtirade

Why bother having a tiered pricing system if all of the weapons being released, aside from a few available from launch, are going to cost the same, high price?

:logic:
    • Up x 1
  3. NoblesseOblige

Having played multiple F2P games before...yes. Price drops, meaningful in-game currency, they are all part of these things.
    I'm sorry your precious SOE will not follow them.
  4. SgtScum

How to have all the money you want to buy all the weapons you want in the game on the cheap.

1) Drink one less soda/coffee/latte/martini a day for nearly $45 or more saved at the end of the month.
    2) Next double $C sale use said $45 to buy $90 of $C.
    3) Either wait for what you want to go on sale in the depot or just buy it as you are getting 50~75% off any purchase now.
    4) ????
    5) Profit!
  5. Garzin

Your post only supports OP.
  6. RHINO_Mk.II

This is so much win I cannot even describe it.
    • Up x 1
  7. SgtScum

In what way? I just unlocked a manticore, pandora and sx-5 which is 2100 $C off sale for 900 $C which comes out to 450 $C in real life money due to the double $C special.

The deals are there you just have to be savvy enough to figure them out. ;)
  8. Garzin

You suggest to buy SC on double/triple SC sales, since it's the only way to get guns for reasonable prices. And the fact that "90% of the weapons of PS2 are overpriced" is the whole point of this thread.
  9. patricio_z

While I find $7 for a gun to be a tad excessive FOR MY ECONOMY (that's why I wait for sales and double SC)... people need to realize that they aren't charging that for JUST the modeling and texturing work... servers, bandwidth (A LOT), new continents, everything that comes for free... those $7 are needed to pay for all of that AND make a profit, so, to argue that SOE is ripping you off because they are just reskining models is to be missing a BIG part of the picture...
    • Up x 1
  10. Gavyne

Stop being cheap, buy something. They just had a double exp weekend PLUS double sc bonus for crying out loud.

There are more ways to get guns for cheap in this game than there are ways to buy food & groceries for cheap at the stores. To get good savings, you could:

1. Look for double/triple sc bonus days
    2. Look for weapons that go up for sale daily
    3. Buy a subscription and get bonus to exp gains PLUS passive certs PLUS 500 sc a month
    4. Buy an exp booster and play your hearts out, I recommend doing this when you have a day or two off

Or do like some of us do, do all of the above and get the best of all worlds, and it doesn't even cost that much. Certainly not more so than having to buy a game before you could even login to play, like most FPS games.
  11. Joe-H2O

Poster has "hilarious" lockonside 2 forum sig - it's safe to ignore anything he has to say. Move along people, nothing to see here of any substance.
  12. SuBs

Hah! THIS!

Something you forgot to mention though is the shockingly bad reloading animations. There are VERY few guns in PS2 that don't have totally out-of-sync reloading animations/sounds, or no sound at all for parts of the animation. The standard of quality is absolutely appalling. And they expect you to pay for these?

I implore you, go into VR training and empty the TR Haymaker, and watch in horror as the magazine suddenly disappears and teleports into the gun's magazine well, or as the charging handle magically cycles itself before the player-model's hand even touches it. The same is true of the Nighthawk and the Barrage, the TRAC 5 and the LC3 Jaguar, and many more than I can be bothered to list.

In fact, as I said before, the vast majority of weapons (can only speak for TR) have sub-par reloading animations. The only gun i've been happy with enough to purchase recently was the TR Uppercut shotgun, and even then, the textures are still horrible.

And now you have weapons being released that simply haven't been given a moment of thought. The bolt on the new NS-11C doesn't even move during firing or upon reloading the gun after emptying the magazine.

To be utterly frank, the people working on the weapons in PS2 are doing a disgracefully bad job. Consider for a second that Higby said that this game would comply with the expectations of a AAA FPS despite its nature.

People, more fuss needs to be made over this.
    • Up x 1
  13. Gavyne

If people bother to watch FNO on Fridays, they would learn a lot more about the things they complain about. Last week's episode they interviewed an animation guy and he said they are definitely going back to improve the animation on all guns, including the old/original ones. So improvements are coming, they just have a lot of things they need to do.
  14. Colt556

I have played WoT and I agree the prices of their tanks are more than a little absurd. But we aren't talking about other games, we're talking about PS2. Another game having outrageous prices doesn't justify PS2 having outrageous prices. Besides, PS2 is as much P2W as WoT is. In WoT the tanks you buy with gold are universally weaker than their fully upgraded counterparts. In PS2 if you buy some overpowered weapon (pump shotguns, for example) then it's just downright better, and so you either need to grind for three days straight or fork up some cash. While not technically P2W it's walking a pretty fine line.
  15. Timantium

Which do you think would come faster: 60 hours of play for a "free" gun or the months and months it would be before they let players buy a "discounted" gun?

If it takes you 60 hours of gameplay to get the certs for the gun you want, you aren't really paying for it so it costs you nothing (sorry, but being FORCED to play a game to get in game rewards does not count as expense). They would only offer weapons at a discount after they released better weapons in the same category (that would be the only reason people would pay for it).

TLDR: you are a cheapskate and your idea for discounting old weapons would cause you to wait longer than if you just played the game and spent your certs.

Duh it doesn't add up, this is to make you buy more SC than you can possibly use. Even when you buy a $7 gun you are paying $10 for it, lol. Business 101.

How in the world is making someone play a game for 3 days (as in your example) to earn an upgrade or a reward considered pay 2 win? lol. It's 3 days.
    • Up x 1
  16. Rift23

Mostly it's the lack of fixed prices that keep me from spending money. I'd happily drop $60 on a box then $15 a month if it meant playing with everything unlocked all the time without the nickle and dime ******** that inevitably happens if you pay for a F2P game. But I don't have to spend that money, so I won't. I don't see myself as entitled, SOE choose to give me the option to play for free and I'll take it until otherwise.

Anyway, this isn't nearly as bad as some of the crap I've seen in other games. All the weapons are unlockable by anyone, at least I don't have to buy a premium account to give my infiltrator an SMG or my engineer a AV turret. But I'm not spending $7 for a single gun. Sorry, I'm not one of the 50+ year old men who sit around all day dumping cash into games.
  17. Draxo

Go take a look at TERA's cash shop. Its even worse.
  18. Tobax

Wow really? that's insane. With GW2 as the example I don't get how they get away with it, I mean £7 for a 1 hour boost, that's a higher cost than the UK minimum wage, really made me feel SOE's prices were not half bad, especially if you only buy your SC during double or triple SC sales which is what I've been doing.
  19. Colt556

So you're willing to play for 72 hours just to get one, single, gun? Tribes Ascend is a good example of this problem. That, as well, was not technically P2W. But the grind for weapons was so long, so absurd, that it was considered P2W. I don't mind a grind, it's an MMO, it's suppose to be around for a long time. But when all the weapons are either the exact same weapon we already owned, but with one or two minor stat changes. Or the weapon is some absurdly overpowered I-Win type of gun, then grinding for 72 hours (it's not 3 days as in a couple hours per day, it's been averaged to be around 60-70 hours per gun given average cert gain rate) just so I can get a weapon is a bit much.
  20. Gavyne

People keep referring to $7 gun, yet we just had a double sc which makes it a $3 gun, and if you buy the gun on sale, it's $1.50. Now even a youngster who thinks they know everything can afford it if they stop sipping on starbucks coffee.