[Suggestion] Crewed tank concept discussion

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ranik, May 4, 2013.

1. Ranik

Hello, The purpose of this thread is to ask, "If Crewed tanks were introduced to the game, How would you want them set up?"

Assume that they ARE being added and explain in your opinion how you would want them to function. How many seats do you think they should have? What roles should each seat play and what should each seat/roles limitations be? What weaponry should they each have? What unique features should the crewed tank boast? etc etc.

This is not a "Yes I want a crewed vehicle" / "+1 Vote" Thread.

Bottom line. Assume they are being added and give your opinion on how you would like them to be done.

If you care to put your opinions and ideas in a more easy to read format in case you or the Devs want to take a look at general opinion you can also take the brief survey here.

Survey
    • Up x 2
  2. HellasVagabond

Why not the realistic way ?

[IMG]

Two man the 7.62mm/0.2inch machine guns, the other is the primary gunner and the other is the driver.
    • Up x 1
  3. Ranik

So a 4 man with Driver / Primary gunner / Secondary / Secondary?
  4. Radioactive Pirate

I would go for 3 seats: driver, main gun, and secondary turret. A fourth if they add a coax.
    • Up x 1
  5. Tanelorn

6. Ranik

How would that 4th coax work? Would it be a dedicated 4th slot to Kobolt / ES AI turret?

Coaxial usually means that it's attached to the main gun.

Yes actually, Polls aren't allowed however discussion and offsite Surveys are fine. It may give Devs something to look at when/if they decide to add crewed tanks. Begging for X is one thing. Giving input as to how X could be done if it is implemented is another.

There are other competing ideas for what SOE could add next in the Vehicle department and it's fine to brainstorm those as well :D

I actually rather liked the Idea of the close air support aircraft with rumble seats on either side for shooting out of. That actually sounded rather amazing.
    • Up x 1
  7. HellasVagabond

Yeap, basically you have the driver, primary Anti-Armor weapon, secondary Anti-Personel weapon and third Anti-Aircraft weapon.
  8. Icedaemon

What I posted in the other thread on this topic still stands:

I would also consider giving (some) of the tank guns a tertiary fire mode (counting the optics as secondary) - the standard NC HEAP and AP might come with a coaxial Drake. The Prowler might have the ability to unload it's ammo and switch to a different type - go from AP to HE after a period of time. the Magrider might be able to cycle through several fire modes.

I would also try and include more interesting guns - currenty all tank main guns are 'shell which does X direct damage and has Y splash'. Why not give the Prowler dual gatling guns? Why not give the Vanguard a grapeshot cannon? How about interesting weapon effects? A prowler might have napalm rounds which deal vitually no damage to vehicles but leave behind temporary fires and thus provide superb area denial. A Vanguard might have concussive shells that act like concussion grenades (with a much shorter stun duration, obviously - half the weapon's maximal reload speed to ensure one Vanguard cannot stunlock an entire squad). A Magrider might fire EMP blasts which deplete enemies' special ability charge and shields in a wide area.
  9. UberBonisseur

• Up x 2
  10. Ranik

Hmm in your example for the Prowler does the gunner control the primary + secondary until lockdown, when the driver can then take it over?
  11. Tulka

its a very simple fix if you ask me, leave things the way they are for all tanks, only swap which guns the driver and gunner control. Meaning the driver gets the secondary, and the gunner gets the main gun. This would be weird for the magrider.

/discuss magrider solutions.
  12. Ranik

Well I believe the simplest suggested magrider solution was this. Turn it into the PS1 Magrider.

The current cannon which the driver controls becomes a AV/AI forward facing gun. The top turret then becomes like a larger Saron.
  13. Tulka

i like that idea
  14. Zorro

I would divide tanks into new divisions. There would be light tanks, medium tanks, main battle tanks, heavy tanks, tank destroyers, and self-propelled guns. Light tanks would be like the Lightning, with room for only one person. Medium tanks, main battle tanks, and heavy tanks would all have a driver, a main gunner, and a secondary gunner, with the main differences being in size. Tank destroyers would be two-man, with a combined driver/main gunner seat and a secondary gunner position. Self-propelled guns could either be one man like light tanks or two man like tank destroyers.

The Vanguard would be a main battle tank, the Prowler a medium tank, and the Magrider a tank destroyer.
  15. Ranik

Among these different divisions. How would they operate differently? Would you re-tune them to play their roles?

IE Prowler faster, Vanguard a bit more everything, Magrider would get less dodge ability but more long range punching power?
  16. Ghodere

If solo MBTs and Lightnings are not to be removed or changed, then because Lightning and MBT weapons are so powerful already, for a 3-man MBT to both be worth using over a larger number of solo MBTs or Lightnings yet not be broken (e.g. hilariously large splash radius, 1shotting infantry and MAXes at full flak, killing tanks in <5 seconds from the front, etc.), then it would need an absurdly large amount of armor, which, combined with the repair-anywhere engineers we have in PS2, might be broken in itself, and without a change to hotswapping would most definitely be so.

The other options as I see them are giving it have a ton of speed, maneuverability, or versatility. Speed would infringe on the territory of the Lightning, maneuverability for each tank would take it away from the Mag, and any true versatility runs the risk of making an anti-everything unit. Of all the options, if deciding to make new 3-man tanks without changing the other tanks, I think the best option might be to force it to have 3 different turrets, essentially an HE and AP cannon the primary gunner can switch between, and an AA turret (Skyguard?) for the tertiary gunner. If you removed or severely nerfed hotswapping on this vehicle, that is.
  17. Zorro

My thread on improving vehicles gives a detailed explanation on how they would work. I also have some examples of the different classes of tanks (note: heavy tanks are not yet finished, but I am drawing up an NC heavy tank and expect to be finished soon).

Simply put: The light tanks would be fast and agile, designed for flanking where cavalry (ATVs and buggies) are too weak, and would be good at hunting down enemy SPGs.

Medium tanks would be in between the MBT's and the heavy tanks in terms of size, and would be designed to be the affordable "front-line" tanks that make up the bulk of an armor column.

MBTs would be designed to be either highly specialized or general-purpose, and would be just as good alone as when in a group.

Heavy tanks would be the biggest, designed to sustain as well as dish out great quantities of damage, but would be nonexpendable and slow.

Tank destroyers would be powerful upfront and the driver would also control the main gun, but the main gun would be joined directly to the hull and the tank would have weak side and rear armor.

SPGs would have the weakest armor but the most powerful cannon and would function as artillery.