CPU under usage

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Sosen42, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Sosen42

My new computer has been having trouble with keeping any kind of decent frame rate and the CPU is not Operating at more than 10% at any given time. The Alt F feature in game tells me that my CPU is to blame for dragging my frame rate down to around 10fps regardless of where I am I'm at a complete loss at what to do.
    Specs are: GPU GeForce GTX 970
    CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690 CPU @ 3.5GHz
    Memory 16.00 GB RAM (15.89 GB Usable)
    Operating system Windows 10
  2. Unadude

When you say "New"...you mean it was shipped with Windows 10?

You specs are WAY above the minimum to give you good frame rates.

Or is this a system you upgraded to 10 from 8.1?
  3. user300115

Can you provide a screenshot of the CPU tab in task manager while running the game (in windowed/borderless)?

Also very useful: A screenshot of GPU-Z's sensor tab while running the game. You have to download GPU-Z.
  4. Sosen42

I upgraded to windows 10 and yeah i know my specs are really good which is why I'm confused.
  5. Sosen42

[IMG]
    The FPS that is covered by my bottom screen is 11 with [CPU] next to it
    [IMG]
    An FPS of 12 Now with the GPU-Z program running

ALSO side note now it appears as if sometimes the game is blaming my GPU for the low frame rate although I still can't figure out why.
  6. Unadude

Well, I worked for Dell for nearly 10 years as a technician and have experience with Windows upgrades.

First thing is to work on obvious problems and go from there.

There is always glitches when you "upgrade" one version of Windows to another. Drivers get messed up..services get messed up..you get a mish-mash of Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 problems.

I would start by doing a CLEAN install of Windows 10. Make sure you write down your Windows 10 key (use Belarc Advisor) before you start. Then, make sure you install the latest drivers for the video card.

Then, reinstall Planetside 2.

If I were a betting person, I would put money this would resolve your issues.
  7. Sosen42

So reinstall the drivers and then planetside. Sorry I'm not that PC savy. What is a clean install? Also what about the CPU part of the problem would that require me to re install my processor drivers as well? Sorry for all the questions and thank you for your assistance.
  8. Unadude

Well, you have to understand. The OS is in charge of telling how the processor to perform. It can tell it to unpark cores or increase speed if the processor supports speed-step or turbo. If the OS has issues it's gonna cause a problem with a lot of things including how the processor performs.

As I said, this might not be the magic bullet. But, looking at your specs, I am having a hard time figuring out exactly what the problem might be. It's always "messy" upgrading one version of Windows with another and without any other factors, this is my best opinion of the problem.

http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

Here is an article on a clean install. Basically it removes EVERYTHING from your hard drive so if you have documents you need then you want to back them up to a memory key. Any programs you can't live without you want to make sure you have a way to reinstall it AND have any activation keys if needed (again Belarc Advisor is good for this).

As the article suggests, you COULD do a "Restore Factory Settings" reinstall but that still doesn't always remove all junk.
    I would still recommend a full CLEAN reinstall.
  9. fetty03

i think your pc trying use integrated gpu because gpu-z saying gpu load 0% all time and is in idle(gpu core clook) ... if anyone know how to force game use dedicated gpu give him hint i dont know how to switch this
  10. user300115

I second this interpretation. That is basically why I asked him to show GPU-Z.

@Sosen42
    Are you sure you connected the monitor cable correctly? Look at the back site of your PC and see if your monitor is connected to the green area on the picture. That would be the simplest fix so I advise it here even if it is rather basic.

[IMG]
  11. Unadude

Yeah, I didn't think of that.

But, typically, if you plug a PCI-e card into most modern motherboards it automatically disables
    the on-board graphics, if the motherboard even supports it.

But, it is possible he is using the on-board graphics and not his GTX card.

Yeah, make sure your monitor is plugged into the back of you Nvidia GTX card. If you have on-board graphics, you may
    have accidentally plugged your monitor into that graphics port instead.
  12. Sosen42

No i plugged the Monitor into the graphics card. It is plugged in via HDMI but idk if that makes a difference
  13. Pointyguide2

your card is stuck in idle mode. try a restart and see if it gets fixed if not then uninstall and reinstall latest drivers from NVidia site
  14. Sosen42

I just reinstalled my whole damn operating system. And the drivers. pretty sure that would have fixed my problem.
    Also after preforming a Clean re-install of Windows 10 all my drivers and planetside 2 my FPS are still the same.
  15. Unadude

Then it could be a hardware problem. Could be a problem with the video card...or the motherboard...

Did you re-seat the video card yet? Might wanna try that.

Your specs are WAY above my specs and I do not have the problem you are experiencing.

Hopefully after the OS reinstall you installed only the drivers and Windows updates and then went straight
    to installing Planetside 2.

If I were still working at Dell and someone within the first 30 called in with your problems and what you have done
    to resolve it I would be setting up a return and exchange AND marking your system to go the engineers to find
    out what the problem was.
  16. Sosen42

If it is a hardware problem then remounting the video card is the only thing i can do to fix other that doing an exchange? Also since i built it would going to the people i bought the parts from be best or the manufacturer
  17. Unadude

Yes, I would first reseat the video card. SOME motherboards have two PCI-e slots. If yours does maybe try the other PCI-e slot?

Well..it's not easy to figure out hardware problems. An oscilloscope and multi meter can be used to test resisters and transisters.
    Not fun and something even I would not want to do.
    Here's something I thought of. In your shoes at this point I would give this a go.
    Do you have your original Windows 8.1? Maybe it's an all around Windows 10 thing with a chipset driver or something.
    I would try a full CLEAN reinstall of Windows 8.1 before I started replacing pieces.

I know this isn't fun and we are trying to help. It's not easy to diagnose these types of problems especially on a message board.

Or...if you wanna hold off on Windows 8.1 fun you could go ahead and try to change out the video card. Hopefully you're still in the exchange period.
  18. Sosen42

I'm going to remount and then if that doesn't fix it ask the people at memory express (the place where i bought all the parts) if i can exchange due to product not preforming up to standards or something like that. I have a 2 year warranty on all parts for what it's worth. Thank you all for your assistance.
  19. Unadude

Good luck!
  20. Sosen42

I have re-mounted the GPU and un-parked all cores and still that same FPS. And it is only using up to 12% of all cores at a time. The in-game Fps counter says my CPU is dragging it down.