CPU or GPU upgrade?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Jaron K., Apr 19, 2013.

1. BlackDove

Your first sentence there is pretty incoherent. I'm not sure what you mean since Haswell is a CPU, not a GPU. Doing what, exactly?

An i5-3570K is NOT what you'd typically use for a <$1,000 build. $250 is 1/4 of your budget. No one who knows what they're doing would be so cheap on the rest of the PC, when the CPU is something you don't have to worry about quality or durability on. Let's go over some relatively inexpensive options that are actually balanced in terms of performance and quality.

If you've got a CPU that powerful, you'll want a GPU that's at least as powerful as a 650Ti which is $150(but really you should be getting a 660Ti for a GK104 $280) so you can run things at 1920x1080 on a single decent monitor with everything maxed out, which is about $200-$250.

Let's say $100 to $150 for a, good B75 or Z77 motherboard. You'll need some RAM, so let's say about $50-100 depending on how much you want. A HDD is about $70-$150 for a cheap one. Add in an optical drive for another $20. An OEM copy of Windows 7 home is $100. That's right about where you hit the $1,000-$1,100 mark depending on your GPU choice.

You still need a PSU, so let's say $90-150 for a good one. And anyone who knows what they're doing includes a UPS in their PC builds, so add another $150 for that.

You'll probably want a case, so about another $80-150 for a decent one.

We'll leave out peripherals like keyboard, mouse, headphones/speakers and webcam etc. but that's about another couple hundred total.

So, basically LGA1155's are what you put in $1,000 to $3,000 PC's with a single GPU. LGA2011's are what you put in $3,000-10,000 high end PC's.
  2. Dragam

Read what i wrote again... if you still dont understand it, then read it again.

How much you want to spend on each component entirely depends upon what task the computer is built for - assuming that the pc is being built for ps2, then it makes perfect sense to use a good chunk of the budget on the cpu, as the cpu is by far the most important thing in terms of performance in ps2.

In ps2, his 7770 is all he needs to keep up with an i5 at 1080p.

Fyi, i just helped one of my friends built a setup with a 3770k and a 7950 card (excluding screen) for roughly 6k dkk, which is a bit less than 1k usd... so depending if youre buying smart (aka look through various sites, to find awesome prices) you can easily built an i5 setup for less than 1k, including screen.

Tell me though, what exactly do you need an ups for, in a normal built? Thats right, you dont have any use for it, in a standard gaming computer.
  3. BlackDove

Let's see what you're saying here: allocate a huge portion of your budget to a CPU, so you can be cheap on the rest of the components, and make a PC that will be cheap but fast, and possibly not very reliable. OK, and I am the one who supposedly doesn't now what they're doing.

You call the thermal interface material between the CPU and the heatspreader "glue". De-lidding those CPU's is really stupid BTW. I know people did it. The TIM could be part of the issue, but higher power density is the real issue for Ivy Bridge overclocking.

I bought most of the parts for my PC off Newegg, and the $190 i5-2320 is about 1/10 of my budget for everything, including the peripherals.

Why get a UPS? Oh, I don't know, to avoid data loss, corruption, system failure as a result of undervoltages, overvoltages, filter line noise etc? Why would anyone buy a computer that costs thousands of dollars and NOT protect it?

You're also talking about money here, so why even build an imbalanced system to play one free to play game?
  4. Jaron K.

Hello, sorry I didn't reply sooner.
    To make things clear, my Gpu really isn't my problem since I'm playing at 1366x768 which is good for now, so maybe a GTX 670 isn't really what I need right now.

Do you guys think it is worth waiting for the haswell series or should I buy a i5 3570k?
    Maybe this is a stupid question but is a AMD FX 8350 a option or is this just a waste of money?
    And the unbalanced system problem isn't a problem at all i think.
    Saw a guy on Youtube with:

- I5 3570k
    - 8GB
    - AMD HD 7770

And he was playing at a around 45-55 fps. That's more than enough for me.
    And he, if I have the new I5 3570k or I5 3670k (or something else, still looking) then their is always the option to buy the GTX 670 later on.
  5. Dragam

I think you should wait for the new haswell i5 :)

Then youll need a new powersupply (600 watt can easily cover it), motherboard with the new chipset for haswell, and then new ram. If you look around for good prices, you can obtain all of it for less than 500 $.

Getting an AMD processor would be a bad choice, as this game largely relies on core 1 performance, and the AMD processors have alot less performance per core, compared to the intel processors.

And precisly... you can always just upgrade the gpu later. Having a good base (cpu, motherboard), is very important. Im personally still using a more than 4 year old i7 920 c0, which still has the power to fully utilize my 680 sli setup, in anything but this game. With the haswell i5, you could most likely use yours just as long, and just upgrade the gpu, once you need more juice for other games.
  6. Dragam

Do explain... how would it make the system less reliable, that you use 1/4 of the budget on the cpu?

No, im talking about the glue at the edge of the heatspreader, which holds it on... look at a delid vid, and you can see what im talking about. The TIM wasnt the issue - the too large amount of glue in some places was, so that the heatspreader didnt have fully contanct to the cpu.
    The shrink isnt the issue either... while it makes it less resilient to heat, it actually runs cooler with the delid fix, than most sandy cpu's, and can therefore be clocked as high.

Well thats your fault then... newegg is often overpriced compared to other stores. And lol at buying an i5-2320 with a 2k $ budget.

Unless you have major power surges all the time, and a crap psu that doesnt monitors its levels, then you have absolutely NO usage for an UPS. In server systems it makes perfect sense to use it... but for personal computers? No way... Ive never used it, and ive not once damaged any component due to it, or lost any data.

Some people just want to play a specific game... wether or not its free doesnt really matter, does it? They still want to get the best performance in that specific game...
  7. BlackDove

It makes it a lot harder to buy quality parts, when you allocate 1/4 of the price to a CPU. To match, you'd need to spend another 1/4 on your GPU, and that leaves you with about $500 for a motherboard, PSU, case, HDD, OS, monitor, UPS and all your peripherals.

The only rumors that have really been spread about Ivy Bridge running hotter than Sandy Bridge dealt with the thermal interface being switched to a lower thermal conductivity one, and also that the 22nm chips have a higher power density, which makes it hotspot much worse as you increase clock frequency(which is true, regardless of any overheating). Never heard of anyone complaining about excessive adhesive for the IHS.

If by "monitoring its levels" you mean voltage regulation, transient response and noise filtering, then obviously a good PSU will do all of that.

However, you'll still be adding stress to the components of the PSU that will potentially degrade its reliability, without a GOOD UPS that has AVR. The incoming current from a power grid is pretty noisy, and every appliance that you, and your neighbors have is adding to that noise. You don't want that getting to the PSU.

Over and under-voltages are also very damaging to computer hardware, and a PSU can't do anything to compensate for that. That's where having a line interactive UPS is necessary. It's not there so you can play a game during a power outage or something.

And why LOL at my PC because I chose to go for something high quality and balanced? An i5-2320 isn't much different from any other i5, except that it's clocked lower. They all have 16 lanes of PCI-E 2.0 or 3.0, 4 physical cores, 6MB L3 cache, a dual channel memory controller, Turbo Boost, etc.

Please list your components so I can laugh at how you probably go an awesome CPU and junk parts for the rest of it. You probably bought an aftermarket fan and Arctic Silver too LOL.
  8. Leadamse

OP, if you get an i5 or an i7, you will have to buy a new motherboard. these guys may have just cost you 400 bucks.

Get an amd phenom x4 black edition. on sale for 100 bucks atm. Very fast very reliable processor.
  9. pada0

You should save up for a good PSU first if you're eyeing 3570k.

If you really only want to change a cpu/motherboard combo that matches your current gpu without breaking your current PSU, go with i3-3220, max tdp of 55W. This small investment will let you play decent for the time being while you really save up for the big guns for 3570k or 3770k down the road.

Forget about waiting for Haswell. It's only 10-15% performance difference between ivy bridge chips and its a 'tick', not a 'tock' in cpu infrastructure development. Meaning they are pushing for power efficiency instead of going leaps and bounds compared to previous generation.
  10. Jaron K.

I'm not going to buy a i3 just because I have a bad PSU. I'll just have to buy a new PSU. Sea Sonic 620 watt, €66 well spend.

Do you think I will see a difference in Planetside 2 if I bought the I5 4670k instead of a i5 3570k?
    And in other games like BF3/4, will the I5 4670k have a big advantage over the I5 3570k?
  11. Dragam

As ps2 is more or less only cpu dependant, youll see anything from 10 to 30% improvement with the 4670k, over the 3570k... it depends if you want to overclock it or not.

Basically, the 4670k will have 7-13% better performance clock pr clock, but it will also be able to overclock higher than 3570k... so yeah, even without insane cooling, youll likely get it 20% faster than 3570k with a decent OC.

Regarding performance in bf3... that game is largely depenant on the gpu, so unless you are running a system with 2 or more highend gpu's in sli / cf (like i am), then you wont see much difference in performance, in regards to changing the cpu... BUT, if you later on buy a better gpu, then you will be limited by a weak cpu like an i3.

So regardless, its better to just get a good cpu now, so you can rely on that for the years to come, and then upgrade gpu along the way.
  12. Dragam

Well, assuming that he is building the pc purely for ps2, then he wont have to buy a matching gpu, as the gpu isnt loaded nearly as heavily in this game, as the cpu is. 220 $ on cpu, 180 $ gpu, then you have 600 $ left, which should easily get you decent enough components (lower performance, but that doesnt mean "unreliable").

No, those were certaintly not the only "rumors" - intel even confirmed that this was the issue. Why do you think that some people got their cpu as much as 30 degrees celcius lower, when they delidded it? TIM replacement can give you a few degrees, but the majority of it, was down to the heatspreader not being in full contact with the cpu, due to too much glue... so when people delid their cpu, they remove the glue, so the heatspreader comes in full contact with the cpu, and thats whats giving the dramatic changes in temperatures.
    Obviously youre correct about the higher power density in 22nm, but that wasnt the issue, mounting of the heatspreader, due to the glue was. But intel has also confirmed that they have fixed it with haswell (should be a really simple fix... just make sure its mounted 100%). Im guessing they made the mistake in the first place, cause its the first cpu where they have used the glue + TIM, rather than soldering.

I dont know where you live, but i havent heard of ANYONE using a UPS for a home computer, and i havent ever heard of anyone having any issues of any sorts, due to not using it (i live in denmark). As said, it makes perfect sense to use it for a very expensive server system, that holds alot of valuable info, but unless you have SERIOUS issues with the currents you get into your house where you live, then its really a waste of money, that could have been better spent at other components.

Choosing an i5 is perfectly fine, but by choosing a non K version, you basically lose out on 50% performance (performance easily obtained through an OC).

Ill gladly link my specs:

CPU : i7 920 c0 @ 3,8 ghz (with cooler master v8)
    Mobo : Asus p6t deluxe rev1
    Ram : Ocz platinum 6 gb @ 1444 mhz, 7-7-7-21 timings
    GPU's : 2x gtx 680 in sli @ 1254 mhz core, 6800 mhz ram
    SSD : Ocz agility 4, 256gb
    HDD : WD caviar black 1 TB
    PSU : Thermaltake 1200watt
    Case : Thermaltake armor+ , modded with bigger side fan, and extra fan in the front, and removed hdd cages to improve airflow to gpu's
    Monitor : Asus PB278Q, 2560x1440, 60 hz, 16 ms input lag

Mouse : Logitech g700
    Keyboard : Ancient microsoft keyboard with steel frame
    Headset : Sennheiser pc 360
    Mousepad : Steelseries, huge hard plastic thingie
    Speakers: Logitech z560
    Controller : Razer onza tournament edition

Oh, and just incase youre gonna continue your "imbalanced" rampage, ill just link you some screenies, which shows the load % on gpu aswell as fps, in the top right corner.

crysis 3 screenies:
    http://imageshack.us/a/img534/5127/crysis32013022423291779.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/a/img17/9383/crysis32013022510170782.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/a/img803/5099/crysis32013022510201697.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/a/img844/8259/crysis32013022523590624.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/a/img690/5293/crysis32013022600041347.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/a/img841/134/crysis32013022600084951.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/a/img405/5421/crysis32013022600275078.jpg

Bf3 screenies
    http://imageshack.us/a/img706/2927/bf320130313150710353.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/a/img19/108/bf320130313150825022.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/a/img855/7718/bf320130313150840485.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/a/img803/4876/bf320130313150855578.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/a/img248/7409/bf320130313150938341.jpg

ghost recon - sniper 2 screenie
    http://imageshack.us/a/img255/9354/sniperghostwarrior22013h.jpg
  13. EnviousCipher

Isn't it still possible to OC a non-K i5? At least i keep hearing you can.
  14. Dragam

In theory you can - youll have to overclock it through the baseclock (aka motherboard) which is very inconvenient, as it puts alot of strain on more than just the cpu... so with the nwer systems, intel went away from using that method, to simply using the multiplier directly on the cpu, so that it doesnt affect the rest of the system.

So with the new systems, youll be lucky to able to increase the baseclock from 100 to 115... most motherboards can only handle it to 110... meaning that you are better off not messing with it, as the new motherboards arent built for increasing the baseclock... unlike the old systems (such as the x58 chipset, that im using) which is almost purely overclocked through the baseclock... mine is increased to 180 baseclock, and 21 multiplier on the cpu... which adds up to = 3780 mhz.
  15. BlackDove

Please link me to Intel confirming the thing about the glue/TIM.

And you LOL at me for using a CPU which is more powerful than yours? Ok... You have an old i7 920 with 2x680? Why?

And why get a Thermaltake(yours is either a rebranded Sirtec or Enhance) PSU? They're overpriced junk. Same with their cases. They're a brand I would never even consider. And you tell me I'm wasting money with a BackUPS XS1000...

Why would you lose 50% performance with a non-K? They're the same CPU, the K's just have unlocked multipliers(although the K versions have some of the V-Pro features disabled).
  16. Dragam

It was posted a month back on guru3d.com, lots of pages to look through though... feel free to look it up in their news section.

Difference is that my cpu was bought in 2008, and was by far the best bang for the bucks at the time, and is still coping really well, with a good oc. Your processor on the other hand, was a bad deal for its time - a smart person would have taken the K version of the i5 processor.
    Why i still have the i7 920, while having 2x 680? Because the old 920 still has the power to fully load the two 680 cards in all dx11 applications (as you can see on the screenshots), so it didnt make much sense to change it. I am however going to change it for the coming 4770k, as the performance in this game (only game where the 920 is having issues) is annoying me.

Thermaltake in denmark cost about the same as the other brands, and when i bought this psu 7 years ago, it was the only 1200 watt psu available in denmak, and as i needed that for my 3x 8800 gtx setup, i went ahead and bought it - a decision that i havent regreted one bit, as it has served me very well.

Because your cpu is only clocked at 3 ghz, where the k versions can be taken to 5 ghz with good cooling.
  17. BlackDove

Can we get a link?

And, your CPU is fine, but it's about the same as mine. I don't overclock because I value stability and low power consumption over clock speed, so I don't need a K.

That sucks. Hopefully they get the Seasonic X series Gold and Platinum in Denmark by the time you upgrade.
  18. Dragam

I must admit that i cant seem to be able to find it, but i did read it... regardless, the in many cases insufficient contact between the heatspreader and cpu, is the cause for the insane temps, that many people were getting with their ivy's.
    Im just happy that intel has fixed it - its the reason that ive choosen to go with haswell now, and what held me from going with ivy.

I must say, that i dont really care about power consumption - i pay a fixed amount of rent to my land lord, regardless of how much electricity i use :p I can follow you on stability, but even with my 920 overclocked from 2,6 ghz to 3,8 ghz (which is a 46% oc !) i dont have any issues with instability.
    The only hardware issue i have, is my motherboard beginning to show its age, and acting up... as of late, ive seen it overclock my cpu up to as high as 5,6 for a mili sec on a single core... doesnt make the system crash, but does worry me a bit never the less... however, it is to be expected from almost 5 year old hardware, which has been heavily abused the entire time, that it becomes increasingly unstabile.
    Luckily, its about to get retired in a few months ;D

Im not sure what psu im going to get... being 7 years old, my current psu is probably nearing its end aswell. Once it dies, im probably gonna get a 800 watt good modular psu.
  19. BlackDove

20. Dragam

Well... i really cant wait for another shrink, with my current hardwares age in mind - a 4770k should provide 50% extra performance over my 920, with an oc to 5 ghz, so thats worth going for imo.
    Regarding nvidia... 700 series will be kepler refresh, then next year will be maxwell... as far as i know, maxwell wont have stacked ram, but will have more than twice the power of the 600 series. Also, i honestly dont think that stacked dram will make that much difference, as current limitations arent down to gpu ram, but core performance.... so i expect to upgrade to maxwell, once it comes :)