Cortium farmers.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Leandre, May 23, 2019.

1. Leandre

By cortium farmers i'm referring to people who place silos and fill them up with cortium while they are never gonna build anything else usefull. At some points those ''cortium farmers'' can become really a pain when you are trying to run a good strategic base.

First they are pretty useless, if there is an enemy presence in allied territory they are just gonna ignore it.
    Then when time has come to fill up your base silo, it's gonna take you twice the time to do so because they are always there picking the closest nodes of cortium.

NEVER BUILD NEXT TO THE CORTIUM NODE OR IT WILL NOT RESPAWN. (Here is the worst case).

It seem like even an Orbital Strike won't kill a friendly silo (just tested it) so I feel really powerless about this!

SOLUTION?
    I suggest devs change the way you are rewarded with the building system, we should be rewarded about the quality of support we provide on the battlefield and not about how much cortium we can collect/drop.

Basically those guys are not supporting their faction in any ways and they probably make more certs than I!
    • Up x 1
  2. tootoll

You have them on every side so every faction is balanced in a way with them. This topic was already beaten with a wet sock many times before.
    First: its on any of three sides of map and you cant tell other people how to play games.
    Second: is that farming is boring, so sooner or later they will get their arrss to front line.
    Third: thing is that sometimes your isp connection is bad and only thing you can do is drive around.
    Forth: thing is if they cant solve white screen bug then yes, i am gonna farm cortium like a blind man cos if i cant fight on front lines at least i see (see sort of) where the nodes are .
  3. TR5L4Y3R

sollution: add no-buildzones to cortiumspawns
    at least this way people can continue to harvest for actual pmb's

i'm gonna be honest
    i too am farming cortium as well since i want to have my basestuff for each faction, but i do concider those that want to build propper pmb's and at least try not to block cortium spawns and have silos in places were it makes sense
    or deconstruct them when filled up ...
    most farmers do not even care bout that ... and as such screw over everybody else ...

yes cortiumfarming is boring ... why do people do it ?
    because it's the easiest way to get certs with the least risk of dying over and over
    as the combatway to get certs primarily requires kills or killassists, same with archivements ...
    so
    suggestion number 2: add infantry deterance ...
    even though infantry is squishy its still up to the players skill to kill another
    but then you also have weapons that are rather about supression
    or players simply lack the avarage skill to get the kill on other infantry ... they do damage, that player escapes with no one else to take him down and fully recovers with you getting nothing out of it ...

in the game mech warrior: online your performance gets not only rewarded by kills but simply doing damage or engaging in combat in variuos ways ... however PS2 mostly rewards kills ...

people will suggest playing medic or engineer to heal and repair but these are not active combatactions but support ... most people however (i assume) rather would want to have fun shooting others ... but it doesn't get fairly rewarded if you lack in combat ...

vehicle and aircraft deterance are in the game, infantrydeterance should be too and directives should be adjusted to that imo ...

if people are all about certfarming cause they want the shiny things (well i sure do) then they should have a insentive to do it in a fun way and how the game was rather meant to be played ... i don't think purely farming cortium to reach that fill and log off is the way meant to be ...
  4. Leandre

My idea to solve a part of this problem would be to lower xp gain from cortium harvesting/deposit, when it's double xp it's like party time for those guys! They can make at least 300 certs per hour just doing that...
    I would increase xp gain for router spawn and spawntube, add xp gain when an ally pull a vehicule from your vehicule/esf terminal(Maybe with directives as well).
    That would encourage more road blocking base as they would benefit from providing vehicule on front lines! Also good for those who like piloting a Reaver or Valkyrie as they could pull one from an allied base if they get out of ressources.
  5. Uthael

Sometimes I just drive around, farming Cortium. I also avoid enemies if I can. I like to help others fill up their silo. Some people don't do anything with it and it just feels bad.But if I see someone putting an effort in a forward base, I'll do my best to make sure their silo is full! Cert farming has little to do with it. If I want to farm certs, I resort to supporting MAXes either as an engineer or a medic (their engineers die often).

P.S.: Thanks for letting me about silo preventing node spawning, this should be written in-game. Never paid attention to it.
    P.P.S.: Farming certs by camping a Sundie instead of destroying it should be even more frowned upon. Farming cortium without a base may seem useless, but is disrupting much fewer players' enjoyment of the game.
  6. Whiteagle

I like this part, because even if I'm just Farming Cortium, I still like to provide a semi-functional Mini Base with a Tube and Terminals.
    Sadly, I don't know if the new spawn system isn't working or it just places that low of a priority on Tubes, but you can't Respawn on a Tube a territory over unless you've Bound to it.
  7. TR5L4Y3R

300 per hour boosted maybe (or quad xp which might be even more rediqouous) ... otherwise i get rather 100 to 150 certs per hour and that is if you are realy lucky with multiple rich spawnnodes .. unboosted your are lucky to get the same ammount of certs out of an alarm ... outside of an alarm you may get about 50 to 75 farming an hour ....

speaking of boosts, appearantly alarms don´t offer xpboostrewards anymore ... cause i sure didn´t any from like the last 30 to 40 alarms i played
  8. Leandre

I recently got rewarded with squad and personnal boost, they are still there...
  9. Felberin

Put public Cortium silos in certain bases, or other locations. Filling these gives more XP than filling your own silo. Casual backline ANTs can fill those for bigger rewards. And it gives Cortium for builders to use for actual thought out bases.
    I mean, there is that alert where you do this kind of thing, but I think having always available cortium tanks you can fill and feel like you are helping even if you are as bad at aiming as I tend to be.
    • Up x 1
  10. Whiteagle

I've been wanting Static Base Silos to power Modules since Construction was in Beta.
    It would allow us to fortify Static Bases and possibly play into the greater Metagame in other ways.
    • Up x 1
  11. Pondera

what about the idea of "unlocking" silos as an option? You get certs for depositing it, but the cortium inside can be retrieved by anyone else for use in base building. So you can start on a base, and then pull cortium from one silo to your new operation to get things going faster.
    • Up x 2
  12. TR5L4Y3R

while that would be an option what a number of people do is to restrict not only their silo but also their base, and as such if it isn´t in use anymore it just stands there being inaccesible for anyone, nor can you deconstruct it ..

basicaly and i´m pretty sure some people actuy even go for this is to spawn as one faction
    throw down a silo close to cortium spawnnodes, deplete the cortium and then leave the silo restricted so it can´t be done anything with it ... also apearantly even with the extreme way of trying to destroy it it doesn´t seem to take friendly fire at all ...
    at one point i was so frustrated and jumped faction to try and destroy the silo that way ...
    you can imagine how that went, two ant come allong trieng to defend that silo even build PMB stuff on it ...
    ooooofff ... yea those cortiumspawns were blocked for the time until continentblock *tableflip*
  13. Exileant

:( See? We want Orbital strikes and to be able to build stuff on the PS4..... It just is not fair... :eek: At least you can play that aspect of the game.... o_O All we have an empty vehicle slot where the A.N.T. is supposed to be...
  14. vonRichtschuetz

I didn't sleep tonight, feel free to point out what I didn't think through.

1. Reduce XP for mining and remove XP for depositing.
    2. Give XP when deposited Cortium is used depending on
    a) what it is used for (building / running costs / spawning vehicles / maybe subgroups of each) and
    b) add a time factor (more xp for longer standing bases) which is capped
    c) depending on location (how close to front / far from own warpgate) and
    d) give some Cortium-assist-XP if a base you deposited in lately creates XP (spawning, killing, etc).

Also:
    If a silo or it's base hasn't been interacted with (interaction should include router spawns) for a while it should be auto-removed.
    If a silo has no owner due to logout, instead of making it impossible to interact, other players should be able to claim it.
    Flail / Glaive without owner should be removed.
    When an ownerless OS is removed it shouldn't blow up.
    • Up x 1
  15. Klingmath

Just porting to vent about those damned cort farmers!:mad:
    Hey, I try to message rando ants I see driving around and ask them how their base is coming, I've actually gotten a few to farm for MY silo this way. However, most don't message back... maybe this game has NPCs now.:(
    • Up x 2
  16. Whiteagle

This is a terrible idea, as the farming can actually BE useful to a Faction, we just to integrate Cortium harvesting better into the greater game.
    You realize we're farming in the first place because we're not terrible good at the whole "shooting" thing in the first place, right?

Now THIS could be very good, as Cortium can already supply Light Vehicles for basically free and we farmers just need a reason to let the rest of the Faction pull them.
    Fixing the Spawn System will hopefully also help with this, as Spawn Tubes rarely show up as options unless you Bind to them.
    As I've said before, I've been wanting Silo's at every Lattice Base since Construction went on Test, and one of the potential options for that is greater Nanite Resource generation fueled by the Cortium put into the Lattice.

Well I don't know about making it instantly Claimable on Logout, it's very easy to be building a Base and crash/loose connection right in the middle, but after say 10 or so minutes it should be made usable by the rest of your Faction if you weren't in a Base Building Squad, otherwise it defaults Silo Ownership to one of them.
  17. vonRichtschuetz

@Whiteagle

I didn't mean either 1. or 2. but both. Removing/reducing XP gain from one part and shifting it around to reduce waste of Cortium when it's needed elsewhere.

Obviously the same rules would apply to silo ownership as they do now - it takes some minutes until a silo becomes unusable.
  18. Whiteagle

One is terrible though, it can be a pain to gather the Cortium in the first place, and that's IF you don't get blown up heading to a Silo.
  19. TR5L4Y3R

absolutely not

d) is already the case you get xp from your turrets that kill enemies and you get
    spawn xp

b) i don´t find a good idea because that incentivices to build a base that is as indestructable as possible, so rather in the backside of a difficult to reach terrain than torwards the front

c) is the suggestion i would agree with ..

just have the base/baseparts deconstruct once the player who constructed them logs out or changes continents
  20. DeadlyOmen

The nice thing about having your own computer is that you can play the way you want to.