Controversial Opinion

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Johannes Kaiser, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Johannes Kaiser

Okay, as title says, this will probably be controversial. Feel free to discuss, please. That's why I post this despite it probably ending up as a dumpster fire.
    SO: I do actually like this new update.
    Do I think the dev team is flawless and does everything it can? Naah, far too many old bugs and out-of-tune elements. But you all know the saying about blind chicken, right?
    So, hear me out, I will lay it out as balanced as I can.

1) Elephant in the room: Removal of bases, especially Biolabs. Esamir has always been very much in favour of the southern Warpgate when it came to continent control and such alert victory odds. By turning the map into a triangle the problem will be at the very least reduced. Biolabs are a personal preference, but I on my side detest them. I do not mind big fights, I do enjoy Tech Plants and Amp Stations well enough. Biolabs just are overcrowded popsinks with little to no overall use where even the spawncamping happens in 3D. But for those who love them to multiple deaths, there still are three continents where they are up and running.

2) The storm. On this one I am not sure. The way it was presented so far it seems it will be fun for about the first two minutes. After which it will turn into a proper pain in the ***. Although it might be spearheading a bit of a more "use the environment" kind of playstyle.

3) Campaigns and Missions. It will remain to be seen how well fleshed out those are in the long run, but this does add an incentive to play on an individual basis. And that is very much a good thing. It does not reward any particular playstyle, it does not require participation in any outfit, it just gives players something to do. And that is GOOD. And the reduction for campaign cost is a very smart move, the original entry prices were way out of proportion.

4) Changes in assets and resources. By the sound of it, most assets will only cost of one resource, and no real-time exchange is possible. This actually hamstrings zergfits more than anyone else, since they can't so easily avoid overflow now. They have to either work carefully or live with the fact that they are blowing resources into the void.

5) Starting a session in the Sanctuary is pointless. It just forces players through an additional area they will have no business in 99/100 times.

6) Collossus shield change. It's not such a sitting duck anymore. Fine by me.

7) Liberator changes. This brings ESFs a bit closer to being the actual counter to Libs. Which I have read requests for several times, and is something I agree with. Unfortunately the A2G capabilities of ESFs weren't limited, which would have made for a nice (if soft) role shift.

8) Havoc Missiles. Brings the underbarrel option into the air, to hamstring those runaway Libs and repair-skytrains (rare as they are). Nice option to have I guess, but will probably end up a niche choice, if at all.

9) Harrasser cost increase was also requested quite a bit, even though I would have wished for a special look at the Vulcan-H in addition. Baby steps, I guess (if the latter will ever be adressed at all, which judging by track record is unlikely).

10) Burster MAX damage increase. Nice, but a bit too far on the low end. I didn't run the numbers, and please correct me if I'm wrong here, but this doesn't look like it will make much of a difference if any at all.
    • Up x 5
  2. NotziMad

Personally, I want to play it on live, to experience it, to see it evolve in the short term, but also how things pan out later.

I've learned, and I'm not always right, but most of the time, I've learned to not really judge a patch until it's live and kicking.

Same thing for big games I have my hopes up for.

Basically, I want to see how it goes, but once I've seen, you can trust me to "discuss" it ;)
    • Up x 1
  3. JustGotSuspended

wallah I just wanna quit the game

Cancer ammo and nades
    Mass amount of bugs
    Removal of bases, and no infantry cover in the ones left - even if this encourages bigger fights, the server cant run em lmao
    Starting in the sanctuary is just a troll, is this a mmo fps or what
    Another useless a7 item
    Nice job with the campaign costs, and removing alert rewards - good luck with the cert and iso grind new players!
    Campaigns are super creative and amount to: just sit around here for 5 minutes and pretend like you wont get sniped - oh, and snipe those who are doing the same thing
    The storm is again another nice addition that really belongs in the game, not borrowed from fortnite
    Colossus change is whatever, no one uses it against bastions, it's used to farm infantry and vehicles
    Lol burster max buff is really funny, I guess we know the devs play a2g more that g2a lmao
    And all this vanu lore, only vanu in the banner...lemme guess, did wrel design this update? just a wild guess

yeah glad you think you'll enjoy this update, I guess we'll find out soon enough, assuming the servers are playable. F to all the players who quit because of escalation and will never return thanks to this patch
    • Up x 2
  4. JibbaJabba

In a broad sense I agree with you.

I cannot make a judgement yet though.

My worries:
    Biolabs were popular for two reasons. 1. They were fun. 2. Not a lot else was.
    If they get rid of them without #2 then we've lost #1 for nothing.

Same general principle with some other bases. It will be nice to have fresh stuff, but if the bases are not balanced, or balanced worse than before then ... well ouch! I don't generally like removing cover and making a bases less defensible as it causes fights to be lopsided and end early.

I dunno. I'm worried, but overall optimistic that we're getting some fresh stuff that may turn out to be good.
    • Up x 2
  5. Liewec123

my prediction is that after the hype has calmed down (remember people hyped for Hossin too)
    the new LESSamir will become the least popular map.

lets ignore that they removed some of the best bases like mani fortress, the bases that remain have became utterly indefensible.
    capute points have been moved to stupid positions (like outside...), many spawn rooms have became so hilariously farmable,
    and the icing on the cake is that wrel has tore down a ton of walls meaning most bases on esamir will now have vehicle zergs inside the walls.

and if by chance a base does become the new biolab, the place people try to have a fun fight at,
    the Wrelstorm will come along and s%%t all over it.
    a sentient storm designed to ruin big fights.

none of this is fun, bases will just be camped by tank zergs HESHing the spawn room.

there is no way anyone should be optemistic or happy about this,
    Esamir has been utterly and completely F%%KED.
    • Up x 1
  6. JustGotSuspended

yeah even putting aside the fact it was my favorite continent, this is just an ultra cancerous change, maybe one of the worst the game has ever had.

They didn't even fix the base "designs" and obvious bugs. Lol, the main base, Eisa still have no shields to protect it's SCU. That's the main base on the map, the first thing people see and it's bugged. Just imagine the rest...
  7. Liewec123

agreed about Eisa,
    but is it bugged or intentional? the bases have been redesigned by Wrel after all...
    making bases impossible to defend seems to be the theme of this "patch".
    • Up x 1
  8. Thalestr

The Storm: Heads to the biggest battle and randomly kills players and vehicles in the area. Basically a reskinned and AI-controlled Bastion. As if that's what we needed lol. The chance of being killed by the storm is incredibly high and you will become "charged" constantly. Hands down one of the worst additions to PS2 in years.

Apparently there is a thing you can get to mitigate the random death but I've been up and down every menu in the game and I cannot find it.
    • Up x 1
  9. Towie

I think i'll just reserve judgement and approach it with an open mind ;)
    • Up x 2
  10. ican'taim

BEC ammo and condinsate nades are not on live, nor in the patch notes.
  11. Blam320

The entire Mani triangle SUCKED. Good riddance to it.

And if you're really getting that ******** over HESH tanks shelling the spawn room, actually make the smart decision for once, grab some of your buddies and pull AP tanks or a Liberator.
    • Up x 1
  12. iller

I'm almost willing to put up with all of this other garbage.... just for the sake of Mani biolab finally going Bye-Bye.

If you enjoy playing a whole continent instead of only 1 single Hex over the course of an entire Alert... Mani Biolab was the single most Cancerous element in the entire game ... literally worse than TI-Alloys in every way.

It took everything that was already bad about the NC and the TR basically only ever fighting eachother... and LOCKED it inside of a really stupid call of duty arena for literally hours at a time. Mani is singlehandedly responsible for at least 30% of the Vanu's lifetime dominations of Esamir
    • Up x 1
  13. JustGotSuspended

fUoN

lol, so it's perfectly acceptable to promote cancerous camping in the game. How dare we get annoyed, we should just pull counter-cancer!...or maybe just quit like the majority of players did.
    • Up x 2
  14. Blam320

Yes, you should pull tanks. Like I said, it's a combined arms game. Quit fooling yourself that it's infantry only and actually make an effort to engage with the rest of the game.
    • Up x 2
  15. Johannes Kaiser

Played about an hour yesterday, impressions so far:
    1) Missions are quite mixed. Some of them are fast and easy and give a boost in Certs. Others can take you unaware (such as the "steal data, then get back without dying or redeploying", which had me walk 4 km from Vanu Archives to Indar SE Warpgate on foot as LA), and not all of them work seamlessly with the up-to-now normal gameplay. Others again do work really well and may make players adopt playstyles they haven't been using before. Convoy missions are confusing, the one I did just ended without ending, as in "everything dispersed without good reason 10 m before the base designated as a target". maybe as a gunner I simply didn't get prompts?
    2) Campaign missions are bringing in interesting ceasefires around the POIs sometimes. Witnessed a small effort from members of all three factions combined to locate the console on Highroads, that was heartwarming and amusing.
    3) Granted, this is after first rotation, but in 1 out of 6 missions for me there was an implant, which, if this stays the normal ratio, is an abysmal rate to earn ISO. Like, THE WORST. 25 a day is a joke. Okay, you can adford more lootboxes with the increased Cert gain, but that shouldn't be the mainstay here.
    • Up x 1
  16. iller

It's kinda hard to have a tested and proven opinion of the actual Lattice Base changes made to Esamir tonight when 3/4's of the population was all in the Shattered zone instead trying to pick weeds, most of which were all stuck in Rocks & Trunks.

Not calling any one out here either... just a general observation with some hope that we'll see a proper run through that we can actually make conclusions from by sometime next week after all the suckers get done with this silly campaign junk that we never asked for
    • Up x 1
  17. Liewec123

Haha my friend sensibly quit this s**t long ago...
    Its only masochists like me who stuck around to see how badly Wrel can f**k it up,
    And gotta say, he's doing a good job at that.

It's the titanic and the captain is AIMING for the icebergs, my friend took the lifeboats.
    • Up x 1
  18. Twin Suns

Alerts? Who cares...

I and a couple other BR 100's just collect scalps from those trying to do their missions on Esamir from now on. :). Why they get mad and send hate mail, I'll never know. Cry to the Devs, not to me and my band of merry men.

o7
  19. OneShadowWarrior

Seeing the open battlefield in shattered warpgate and the improvements they made on Esamir left me speechless. Honestly I have to say for the first time the game is starting to evolve. I am looking forward to Rogue P updating the maps. It is far from perfect but it appears we are in good hands now.
    • Up x 2
  20. OpolE

THIS IS THE WORST UPDATE IVE EVER SEEN!

Must come back to Planetside 1 Emulator. Anyone reading this PSForever.net