Continent Locking mini-update

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by MuldoonX9, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Nanomorph

Hold on, is this just a teaser or is continent locking already live???
  2. Ronin Oni

I believe Phase 1 is just whole continents at once.

When we have continental lattice, (which will require all 3 Battle Islands AFAIK) then we should have the one faction at a time push.
    • Up x 1
  3. MuldoonX9 Developer

It's a work in progress teaser.
    • Up x 10
  4. Ronin Oni

Yeah, I'm having a hard time telling too...

I think this was a WIP screenshot of their internal build that should be going up next week maybe?

^Ninja'd
    • Up x 2
  5. Scr1nRusher

Let them stay locked until all continents have been captured.

Then it resets.

Then after the reset all continents are netural and people can start re-capturing the bases and the continents.

It will create a new Dawn of complete War. Victories and defeats will be felt and seen on a grand scale, people will have purpose en mass.
    • Up x 4
  6. PhantomOfKrankor

This will go poorly.
  7. MuldoonX9 Developer

It's not going to be that soon. Still lots of work to be done. I'm kinda doing what the level designers do and giving a piecemeal update.
    • Up x 3
  8. MuldoonX9 Developer

If there's only one unlocked continent, that would mean people wouldn't be able to play, and that's not good.
    • Up x 5
  9. ironeddie

I have to say continent locking feels to me like the game finally becoming the game it deserves to be. It makes an already pretty unique shooter even more special.
  10. LibertyRevolution

So, this means that you cannot spawn onto a continent you control for the resources that you fought and locked it for??
  11. Morchai

I assume we are talking short term. I don't see how this would work with the continental lattice and 'home warpgates'. In any event, I suspect that Esimir will remain locked most of the time as it's the least popular. Everyone else will probably want to let the dominant faction on Esimir re-lock it so that Indar will open back up.

Edit: And yeah, the resource thing. It may not matter after the resource revamp, but right now you often need to leave the battle in a place you have low resources to charge up on another continent where you have lots of resources. I'm really disappointed that if my faction locks Amerish I won't be able to go there to quickly recharge my mech.
  12. Ronin Oni

:eek:

Is continent locking still on board for June update?

I know the cap % change today was kinda like step 1.
    • Up x 2
  13. Nanomorph

Well that's what we already have now, one Indar where everyone plays.

Would be great to at least be able to lock 2 continents at once (with 4 in total, including Swampside).
  14. Cinnamon

So does this mean that you have scripting capabilities to have continent wide alert events where air and tank terminals are locked but everything else is as normal?
  15. MuldoonX9 Developer

Not scripting, it'll be in C++ code. And capture consoles and all vehicle terminals will be disabled.
  16. Scr1nRusher

yeah kind-of forgot that detail...

But you get what i was going for.

because with the system thats subject to change, It would only mean 1 continent can be captured at a time and then once you capture another continent, the continent that you first took over would reset to neutral.

Meaning you would always be playing on 3 continents at max( most of the time 1 of them being indar). Rather then have the continents that people play on be down at 2.

If your going to have 4 continents, then you should be able to capture up to 2 of them.

Meaning if you capture a 3rd continent, one of the 2 you already have will reset.

Man continent unlocking is going to add a whole new level to the game 0_0.
  17. MuldoonX9 Developer

The number of continents that can be locked at once will be configurable by designers. I just used 1 as an example.
    • Up x 5
  18. Nanomorph

There's a few zerg servers with such severe pop imbalance that dominant factions will keep locking continents all day.

This calls for the resource revamp asap.

Give overpop a severe resource penalty.

Give players an incentive to look for fair fights.
  19. Cinnamon

That's a shame. Could lead to some fun events if it could be mixed up.
  20. MuldoonX9 Developer

Eh, I think it would make a lot of people log off. If they can't play with the vehicle they want or have to hoof it in between bases, especially with the lack of sunderers, it wouldn't be fun for a bunch of people.
    • Up x 2