Construction Update is a Leap in the Right Direction

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Baneblade, May 26, 2023.

1. Baneblade

However, there is still some work to be done.

Overall, I like how things are going. So my suggestions may seem pretty tame.

1.) The new Command Center is massive, too massive actually for what it contains. I could see it getting the ability to be its own Silo (maybe half capacity and smaller build support area), additional windows, and maybe even a couple more module slots. It's a difficult structure to place, so it should matter more than it does now.

2.) This is a bit of a combo idea that is dependent on the first one. Keep AA/AI/AV Turret Towers, but allow for module versions on structures with roof space (Pillbox/Infantry Tower/Sunderer Garage/etc) to add the Turret version of the Towers to the structure. These modules would pool the Turret and Structure health pools together, so no simply sitting back and taking down the Turrets before moving on to the structure itself.

3.) Auto Aiming Turrets and Towers were not OP in the old system, letting us use the module slot for an AI Module would not be OP in the new system. Especially since it trades off repairing and added health, and should also disable player use of the Turret/Tower. So you can be more deliberate with which defenses are AI and which you prefer to keep manually controlled.

4.) The Skywall module being limited to 3 structures, none of which are useful for a base being built in adverse terrain, is an understandable change. I've personally always been of the opinion that air needs no favors in maintaining their dominance of the battlefields, and due to that stance would like to see the Skywall module able to be added to more structures. Like the Infantry Tower, Pillbox, Infantry Treestand, and Sunderer Garage.

5.) Rampart Walls need their window shields back. Or they need to be redesigned to not simply allow vehicles to use those windows to shell the base behind them. It's almost too easy to take down a base by shelling through the wall and hitting what it was meant to protect.

6.) Infantry Awning, interesting idea, not really useful for what its stated purpose is. Mainly just serves as a way to make it easier to let infiltrators hide. I'm not really sure what to do about it though, it doesn't really fill a niche that's needed. EDIT: Maybe it should be something you can add to other structures, like walls.
    • Up x 1
  2. SilentSueRia

I would add that they also need to:
    + Add a Prototyping Building mode from a protected blue printing room, that allows you to setup a per-deployment layout of base parts, that you can then approve or edit. If approved, all of the silhouettes would then change too being built. In this system, also allows for connecting parts together at snap points. Also allows for players to donate their inventory of parts to the project. This could also be used to protect against troll builders who might start lay down parts to block your base on the same faction.
    + Make the no deploy collusion area of the Command Center the building silhouette itself and not the current invisible cube that adds to its unnecessarily restrictive deployment.
    + Add twice as much up and down placement flexibility to the new Bulwark walls. How many times do we end up with unreasonable holes in our base defenses because there is a mountain or valley we need to fill with walls and we can't? Or can't get the right wall pieces to provide the appropriate cover, places where the bulwark walls would have fit perfectly, had they not had such a shallow vertical placement zone? That pretty big wall seems to have an excessively narrow placement flexibility.

Given how the decision makers on the design team of Daybreak history trend, maybe we should be asking for 4 times more then these reasonable request. It seems like they are not in the frame of mind of making a good game, but rather in a business negotiation only mentality, where they are acting on money making only frame of mind that has no real regard to making a quality product, except for only what is needed to maintain PR, while running on an underlining philosophy of hostile negotiations where one side is always trying to do as little product and services as possible and gain the most money for, with the frame of mind of abusing concepts of game balance to justify unnecessary give and take actions that often times destroy something good, as well as, not doing something that would have been right and makes perfect since too add. It is like they have one of those bully, predator, Business majors who have no care about product quality making final design choices.

Making money isn't the problem, it is these Business Majors who only think in profit and loss and only use the words and concepts of product quality as PR statements that have no actual merit follow threw with that product quality and fun game concepts that are the problem. I thing this game is suffering at the hands of one of those Business Majors.
  3. SilentSueRia

Ok, how about this, the things we have listed off are the reasonable things that, quite frankly and honestly, SHOULD be in the game, with none of that Business Major PR head gaming using BS twisted arguments of, Game Balance Idea Abused, getting in the way. But you aren't going to convince such a person to meet us where we make since, so we have to ask for both the moon and mars, just too get these reasonable thing.

SO!

What does 4 times more then what we just pointed out look like, so we can demand that, so that we can actually get these reasonable things?
  4. DobryiPupok

I suggested exactly the same thing here on the forum back in 2017))

Also i mentioned the placement of walls and buildings here too:

Fix placement arrows in Walls and Buildings (for rugged terrain)

Something tells me, that nobody cares. At all.
  5. Baneblade

Apparently there is also a bug with the Solid Wall that has it acting like its abandoned. Which is a shame because it is still by far one of the best walls we have, especially with the Rampart Wall's lack of window shields.
    • Up x 1
  6. SilentSueRia

If I remember right, I added that idea to my posting inventory of construction critiques, after reading someone else's post. Sorry about being bad with names. But it is a good idea. Kind of have to wonder why they have not implemented a better building system, especially when plenty of crafting and survival games have shown plenty of ideas on how too have a flexibility, easy to use base building system, that is quick, highly customizable and won't leave unreasonable gaps.

The fact that they can't get this right, screams a narcissistic business major is in charge and they have no concept of product quality out side of a PR statement stunt.
  7. Baneblade

7.) Give us a HUD element that shows us the hp of the structure we are inside. As well as an easy to find spot for engineers to focus on repairing.

8.) Change the Durability Module from a flat 8000 hp (which is not enough anyway) to a 50% hp and damage resistances increase for the structure, but using that Module blocks having a Skywall Module.

9.) Change High Pressure Modules from having a fixed duration to being entirely based on available Cortium. This would give us a reason to increase Cortium capacity and it would make the HPMs a lot more useful. The Secure Silo could also be used as a strategic reserve for this purpose.

10.) The Projectile Shield Module should be changed to Perimeter Shield Module: It would use the same radius as the Fortress Module, but would only be as high as a Rampart Wall with an Infantry Awning taper near the top. That will be far more useful than simply making windows useless to both sides.

11.) Command Center, Bunker, Pillbox, and perhaps also Rebirthing Center should all use Blast Gate style entries.
    • Up x 1
  8. DobryiPupok

Back in 2017, I also suggested to display the name of the base owner when clicking on the Silo icon on the minimap. This would be very handy for interacting with the base builder. This would facilitate interaction between players.

We need flexible Skywall module, which can be placed in any structure or in ground just like the old module.

And yes, we need to bring back most of the critical features of the structures that were there a long time ago - indestructible (or almost) walls, towers, bunkers when they are with a repair module. AI turrets and one-way shields. Also the EMP function of skyshield (or even burning).

Also i would like turn off the anti-cloaker function of flashlights on towers. It hampers me from defending the base, cuz i play cloaker. The enemie (after destabilizing modules) goes to hide and shoot me when i move cloaked - my own base acts against me.
  9. Baneblade

12.) Expand on the Infantry Treestand idea: Add a larger structure with more protection akin to a Firewatch Tower with a wrap around walkway and equip terminal, some module slots, and can use the Projectile Shield Module.

13.) Change the Infantry Tower from having stairs to having up and down gravity lifts, enclose the open side with a Blast Gate style entrance door, add a built in equipment terminal, add a third module slot, allow for Skywall Module, and let infantry access the roof easier.
  10. Baneblade

14.) Add new Artillery Structure: Target Inhibitor - This structure when placed locks out other Artillery structures from being placed at the same Silo, and in exchange confuses targeting systems of enemy artillery within these ranges to the following effects:

0-50 meters - no targeting possible, primary exclusion zone
    51-100 meters - targeting system randomly redirects enemy artillery to a random location up to 100 meters from targeted location, but will not select ineligible locations including map defined exclusion zones and the primary exclusion zone of the Target Inhibitor structure. So you can fire that OS, but it might just go off behind you.
    101-150 meters - same as above, but the randomized range is within 25 meters of the designated target.

15.) New Structure: Colossus Vehicle Factory: Costs 5000 Cortium to place, and 55000 Cortium to pull. This means you have to preplan to spawn a Colossus. The building would be about as large as a Command Center with no other uses. Can fit the Skywall Module.

16.) Remove the ability to kill infantry inside structures with Artillery. If it wont kill you in a normal base, it shouldn't kill you in a player built one (unless the structure itself dies obvs). Being killed by a Flail every time you spawn in your own Rebirthing Center gets old quick.
  11. Boog

I have things to add, but the number 1 priority that im sure every single builder has been asking for since construction was introduced is SNAP POINTS!

Also i hate hate hate hate hate, the new arrow system, it has made rampart walls almost useless when you used to be able to put half of them inside a wall to complete a base.
    • Up x 1
  12. Boog

I wish they would give the silo 2 more module slots, let us put the skywall shield on it and that its repair module affected all buildings in its range.