[Suggestion] Construction Should Show Outlines

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by YellowJacketXV, Dec 7, 2019.

1. YellowJacketXV

Construction should have outlines or guidelines of areas and space it would essentially take up. I've noticed that when placing buildings, it's hard to tell where a spot would be when it says "too close to other deployables". Would be much simpler just to have a small ring to show certain outlines of where boundaries would be. Outlines exist when placing modules, shouldn't be too hard to do so for showing when things are 'too close'.
    • Up x 4
  2. PlanetBound

Or a ready made base with all the trimmings to drop in place.
  3. ZDarkShadowsZ

The construction system as a whole could do with a revamp to be honest. It's hard to tell when something is too close to another deployable as you rightfully said, and trying to place anything is generally clunky and fiddly. I wish walls could be snapped together properly. It takes time to get walls that fit all snug together and by then, it's a miracle if someone hasn't killed you, or it's too late because your base is already under attack.
    • Up x 2
  4. DarkStarAnubis

It should be possible to build anywhere (especially near or into bases) to integrate the construction system into the battle flow and give it some tactical meaning.

It is just a matter of replacing the no build zones with a relaxed limitation based on number/complexity of 3D elements added, something similar to the Fallout building system where you have a finite amount of elements you can build into a specific area.
  5. Demigan

They should just allow placement through a drone or something. The problem with PMB's right now is that the rewards versus time investment is simply off. It's too time consuming and costly to build for the rewards you get. But if you rewarded for that time investment the bases would need to be virtually indestructible and capable of annihilating 100+players with a single squad.

The obvious solution: Make it easier, make it faster. Allowing the players to fly around with a drone inside the Silo's range and cycle through all blueprints to quickly place them from the air gives you the oversight and speed.
    Reducing the costs of the buildings would mean less ANT trips to actually build something useful.
    Giving PMB's roles that remain useful when the frontline shifts is a key aspect so players don't feel their effort in building one was in vein. I've always proposed the idea to make them add to a teleportation grid, allowing players to teleport infantry and vehicles across the continent.
    PMB's could receive higher resistances when there is no lattice-link connected to their area or they are farther than (for example) 300m away from enemy territory, this to protect them from attack when the base is likely not in use. Placing an OS would remove those resistances.
    PMB's could also be allowed to create lattice-links to attack territory normally not reachable.
    • Up x 2
  6. TR5L4Y3R

as an addendum there should be a no build and deploy zone on cortiumspawns .. ***** annoying when people deliberatly block cortiumharvesting ..
  7. DemonicTreerat

In that vein it would also be smart to let ANTs act as small silos that can be deployed even around other silos as long as they're say 100m away. That way small temporary bases can be made without everyone fighting over the few places where a silo can be deployed.
    A good example; while defending Howling Pass I tried to put down a Flail to shell the VS tanks pushing down the road from NS Materials. Tried because some cortium farmer had parked their (locked) silo on the flats. So no silo meant no fuel for the Flail and thus no timely bombardment of Mag-campers.
    • Up x 1
  8. YellowJacketXV

I feel getting construction down is super important. I was helping a newbie yesterday who thought the player bases were the best and after I showed him all the exp to be gained from mining I saw him driving an ANT even an hour later.
  9. oyasumi

Chinese players tell you a way:

With infiltrator, when the building is green, press e behind the shadow to watch for a long time. It can be placed within 8 seconds. It can't be placed after 8 seconds.

I wonder if you can open this video:

https://www.bilibili.com/video/av53728652
  10. YellowJacketXV

I can see it but i have no clue what's going on in detail.
    • Up x 1
  11. oyasumi

Because the building is not allowed to overlap, as long as part of the area overlaps, it will show red, and prompt you can't put it.

I told you the method, so that you can walk freely when you place it and see the surrounding situation.

With the Infiltrator, when the building is green, press e-shadow body to watch for a long time. Remove the shadow behind you. It can be placed for 8 seconds. Cannot be placed after 8 seconds.

I use the network translation, you did not understand the message I sent?
  12. oyasumi

Using the infilter, the green status of the building → using the skill f (shadow body) → pressing the e key = the building can be fixed.

After the building is fixed, it can be placed within 8 seconds. After 8 seconds, it can't be placed. It can only be seen.
  13. YellowJacketXV

I'll try it tonight, thanks mate.
  14. Scroffel5

We need premade bases with all the goodies that we can just plop down, and they have to be named something that obviously shows the purpose. For instance, there can be an "Attack Base" and a "Support Base". We can have different type of premade bases that say things like "Aircraft Deterrent Base" or "Vehicle Deterrent Base". Then, you always have the option to build you own. Building a base should also be much easier to do, so that there will be an influx of new base builders. We need cortium to be in the main game and it needs to be useful. Think that it needs to be deposited into a base or else the spawn timer for defenders goes up. Something like that, or without Cortium in your base's silo, you can't spawn vehicles. It would then make ANTs more of a priority target to take down, and you'd need to get an ANT out to get cortium and come back, so defenders have an advantage. They would then want to avoid long drawn out fights. Amazing, huh?
  15. YellowJacketXV

Scroffel5
    SupCom has something similar, like build templates. Its nice but with a caveat that in an RTS the terrain is generally flat and boring with a few things here and there.

PlanetSide has a lot of ups and downs and jagged peaks and trees, it would make planting precon bases super difficult. Unless you build something then lay it all down.

Another issue is balance if a platoon got together and made themselves an Indar tier fortress they could save the design and have that fortress up in record time. And if the construction is getting besieged you could have multiple things building at once.