Construction is being made worse by this update, not better

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by redgroupclan, May 5, 2023.

1. redgroupclan

The objective of the construction update is to make construction better, yes? The update is making construction worse off than before the update started.

- The new buildings are hard to place because there isn't a lot of flat, relevant, and constructible land in the game.

- The new module system is tedious to place and not open to creativity because structures have module limitations. Only 3 structures even allow skyshields, and on one of those structures the shield is so high it doesn't even really cover anything. Some structures don't even allow modules. The system is convoluted.

- It isn't always easy to tell when modules are being sabotaged.

- Automated defenses are being removed with nothing being added to supplant the void. Previously, builders had issue with stalker infiltrators sneaking into a base and using an explosive crossbow or AV knife to destroy any necessary modules in the way of them destroying the silo, which only takes a couple minutes. Without automated defenses, these players don't even have to play as infiltrator anymore. They can walk in as a heavy to put up more of a fight and have access to explosives, so now solo base destroyers are more emboldened than ever to destroy your base for funsies when they see you leave.

- Solo building or small group building anything besides super barebone bases is effectively dead because bases have to have someone standing guard over them at all times now. No one is going to stand there doing nothing. Construction is supposed to be something that adds a benefit to our play session, not something that entirely takes it over. We still want to play the rest of the game.

- I don't know about anyone else, but I'd rather have no shields than 2-way shields on anything but the Sunderer garage. 2-way shields are quite useless for defensive fortifications.

- Still no snapping or any real changes to the placement system (like clipping tolerance or foundations) despite it being a highly requested feature.

- I know this is still a WIP, but please tell me the current UI is not indicative of the future in that we're only going to get a single darklight lamppost.

I tested out the update when it dropped on the test server. There were a lot of people talking to each other in chat and it was a constant deluge of everyone expressing their dissatisfaction as they learned every change that was being made. I don't know a lot of builders who are happy with anything in this update besides the addition of interior play spaces. The module system alone is discouraging me from building because it's so much tedious busywork, and that's before I get into the issue that there's a decent chance if I leave my base, it will die.

At the very least, I'd suggest a couple things.

- Change repair modules to how they used to work. If a structure is affected by them, that structure is invincible until the module is deactivated.

- Alternatively to the above suggestion, add a damage threshold system where a structure cannot start ACTUALLY taking damage until it has received a certain amount of damage within a short time. That damage requirement would be higher than what any single player can dish out in that time. This could be tied to structures individually or to the base as a whole, as if the whole base has a "secret" collective HP.

- Make the new recon array a default unlocked item since the only line of defense your base has now is a warning telling you to redeploy.

- Make the module system more uniform and easier to place. Perhaps make the module slots interactable as a module buy terminal?

This update was supposed to overhaul construction and make it better for everyone to use and play in. I was excited for it. However, all it has really done is add a few building to play in while stripping away a lot more as retribution. There are no REAL changes to a lot of complaints that builders had, as if very little of the feedback in the past 7 years has been heard. All in all, between construction being made worse and Mirror Bay being made worse, this update needs a LOT of work to turn it around. Which makes me afraid, because the update that hits live is usually not too drastically different from what is on PTS.
    • Up x 2
  2. Dargadon

Okay, i'll bite. Had such strong facepalm vibes that you even forced me to log in and reply. Dedicated builder here (you can often see my TR outposts near the frontlines on Miller) who actually cares for planning and design, not just mashing everything buildable on top of each other.

- Won't even comment on that. There are plenty of space around, unless you want to build in a cheesy spots.

- Sure, CURRENT system have more creativity openings (sarcasm). While new one is not ideal IMO, it is step forward in right direction.

- Have nothing comment on overloading FX.

- Turret automation almost useless on live RN. Cause AV and AI turrets dies in seconds to closest tank autist, and AA do not see ESFs with Stealth (which are mandatory for survival). And if you have problems with killing lone ex-crossbow stalker - bruh...

- If you build usefull bases (even as solo, but not just some backline autistic outpost with only spawntube, OS and Air terminal) there always be someone there - respawning, fetching new vehicle, etc.

- Won't even comment on that.

- Snapping is unnreliable because of terrain. While i agree it would be useful for planning the walls.

- All construction spotlights acts like darklight source afaik.

- Current PTS bases are more resilient than Live ones, especially with right modules.

- Repair modules fine as it is. Bases should be damageable, otherwise roadblock griefing will return.

- Slap % HP repair module on top of max HP module and solo tank player will have very long and boring time.

- Why should give everyone for free one of the most useful buildings?

- This can be abused by defenders. If base is at siege - there should be risk for maintaining structures.
    • Up x 1
  3. Alconchloe

Maybe for people who don't understand construction like you don't appear to.

Shield overloading is gone, preventing invulnerability for structures for 30 seconds, was what kept bases alive during shellings.

The repair rate of the current structures is LAUGHABLE, weaker than ever as tanks can easily plow through the basic repair module without effort and at extreme ranges.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside...youre_not_putting_up_a_fight_and_hes_free_to/
    • Up x 2
  4. Dargadon

Oh, yeah, sure. Structure Shield activation is such OP (lol, no) that makes your base stand tall against armor zerg? Spoiler, IT IS NOT. It only delays base wipe for measily dozens of seconds.

About that reddit video. Command Center have 4 module slots. From what i see there (and from what i tested myself with friend on PTS) i assume that author did not even bothered to fill each with +HP modules and only slapped one basic repair for making drama. Not even mentioning High Pressure repair module.
  5. Dargadon

And i am not even mentioned Fortress Shield :eek:
    • Up x 1
  6. Alconchloe

Ah yes lets discuss that and the previous post.

Did you know you could cycle 2 structure shield modules to be perpetually invincible until the modules are destroyed in the current system? Totally weak I know.

The current fortress module just prevents shelling from a distance for a minute, they can still drive into the shield bubble and shell anything inside. Its a tradeoff module of basically creating a dimension in which neither side can interact with the other. (Its not helpful enough)

You can't stack hp modules for buildings. You're allowed one module of each type barring the heavy repair + repair together. Which isn't enough to hold back tanks either way.

Lets be extremely generous and assume a structure has about 20k hp base

+5000 from repair module
    +8000 from durability module
    +5000 from heavy repair module temporarily

Assume without the heavy repair here, youd recover: 160 hp per second
    With the heavy repair you recover: 779 hp/s (Sounds like a lot, its not for any amount of armor)

You took 3 module slots, which may I remind you the only building with more than 2 slots is the command center at a total of 4. To keep the structure alive, with lets be modest against a small amount of tanks. For one minute.

For each additional minute you have to run for an additional module and successfully place it, 500 cortium each, per building. So again how is surviability increased?
  7. Alconchloe

Apologies, 925 Hp/s, my point still stands.
  8. Amador

I'm not even really a builder, but I know people who are. So I spent at least 3-4 hours on the PTS trying out the new system.

Now that I gave it a try, I can relate the dismay of builders. Never once have I asked or felt that Construction deserved to be damaged this much by the Dev's.

Besides, you know Daybreak is going to full-send this hot mess onto live servers regardless. Daybreak better be handing out total cert/monetary refunds to every player who spent a single bit of currency on Construction due to this revamp.

I'm sorry to say, but you Construction enthusiasts got shafted. This disaster is completely unjustified.

Maybe one day Planetside 2 will end up as a episode for Internet Historian. Utterly shameful.
    • Up x 5
  9. TR5L4Y3R

since i am not able to test PTS (due to bad ping) i´ll reserve judgement until the update inevitably comes to live ..
    but as with the changes to maxxes i feel rather pecimistic it´ll do anything positive ...
  10. Spineless

I spent hours and hours on test with a group trying to like this system. This is, mark my words the NGE of Planetside 2. This update is so insanely mind boggling terrible they should fire the person leading this charge asap. The combat around this update is abysmal. Bases are gigantic and wont fit in 99% of the spaces they did before. This is alienating the vast majority of base builders who happen to be solo and small group orientated. Nobody is going to sit around bored to tears guarding these giant un-defendable grindy time syncs. NGE mark my words. Much like CTF everyone will avoid this junk like aids.

Dear corporate overlords. Hire better leadership. Every builder I know is gonzo after this update. NGE!