Construction is a terrible, overpriced and an ineffective role. Why is it still in the game?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by karlooo, Apr 25, 2020.

1. karlooo

Construction is nearly unplayable for a very long time and the devs are showing no interest in changing it. Just a reminder the players invested over 26,000 certs into construction!
    Investing into construction is equivalent to investing into nothing...How can this be possible for something that costs 26,000 certs?

Currently you can either build some General base in the middle of nowhere (regular Construction) or be the Router ****. Both are a terrible experience.
    The General base in the middle of nowhere doesn't excel in anything. It has everything but the everything is so weak that it does nothing.
    Being the Router **** is the most useful thing you can do but you don't use 80% of the structures and all you do is fly to the objective to place some deployable spawn.

The Orbital Strike is a terrible weapon that needs to be removed. I've already talked about it but I'll mention it again. It's the ultimate Construction counter. You can waste 40 minutes designing and resupplying a base but if one person places a Silo + OS in a good location you can say bye to your base, nothing you can do.
    So if you build in the front line it is necessary to place an OS to defend yourself from enemy OS's lol.
    Now if you do that then you show on the map for enemies and you drastically increase your Cortium drain. So by placing the OS you have to resupply more often and you're literally telling the enemy armor to attack you...they're enclosed from the objective - oh you have nothing to shoot at, well shoot at me.
    So at the end it's better to not place the OS and try to hide your PMB...but wait!
    When the enemy comes they'll just toss an Orbital Strike on my PMB from the Outfit armory. WHAT ARE THE DEVS DOING!!
    Like are they planning to delete or rework construction or do they just not care? Well they should care for something that costs over 30,000 certs because I also had to buy infantry weapons to defend my PMB because the turrets are usless.

--------------------------------------

Well they should just delete construction. This outfit armory items will just make it unplayable.

There could have been many ways to rework construction.
    One way could have been to rework construction into something like what was added recently (Deployables purchased through Merit points), so the player could place some small unique deployables through the ANT to support spawns or allies in the objective.
    But wait it's not possible anymore due to the Outfit OS.

Remove and refund construction....
    • Up x 3
  2. Caesar_REDMIST

A base built around the capture point is still useful.

Also if you think a base will defend itself you are wrong. A base needs people to be defended.

Base around capture point is always better than nothing around capture point.

Contrary to you I see construction in a pretty good state.
    • Up x 1
  3. zelekk

Just becouse fight around good bases are ******* awesome. Its nice for once to fight in places that were acctualy designed for defence.
    But state of construtcion pices is terrible. We dont bother to put up other than aa turrets any more. Change to sky shield so it now stops one OS is ok but outfit should have cd on their pocket OS so they cant drop 2 in 2s.
    About deffending from build OS. If you are not building alone (and you shouldnt build alone) just pull lighting or two and clear it. Usually OS for PMBs assult are not deffended well.
    Just yesterday we menaged to hold Sunken Relay for 3,5h of almost constatnt vanu assult. It wasnt very organized but quiet planty. Base survived 4 OS. We were put down by 2 in row and sth like 10 mag riders with adequate support.
  4. karlooo

Yes construction is ok. It gives something to the game. What I do recently is just build a base somewhere in the front-line and just ignore it and play the game.
    I know I won't be able to defend it and I just use it as a speed bump, to slow the enemy advance.

The ANT is actually more fun to to than construction, wish that the vehicle got something good and unique for supporting allies in the objective.
  5. BrbImAFK

I'm just concerned that you spend time building up a base, the front lines move a bit, everybody leaves, and then one infil with a cloaked sundy and a bunch of spare outfit points can just chain-pull outfit OS's or those nuke-bombs and eliminate your base in a matter of minutes.
    • Up x 2
  6. Werkitten

The orbital strike is bad because all alternatives to it are incomparably weaker. When was the last time you saw the use of artillery that can be built on a base? It is so weak and inconvenient to use that it is more difficult to meet it than a unicorn in the forests of Siberia.
    And when it became possible to make an orbital strike without construction, the situation became even worse.
    In fact, the game added a button "kill a lot of enemies", without the ability to adequately counteract this or get a similar effect in another way.

At the same time, the ion cannon requires a precise hit even to kill infantry, which is almost impossible to achieve with its method of aiming.
    • Up x 1
  7. badname123

Construction is useless after they removed wall invulnerability given by the repair module.

Yes it takes people to defend them but no one is going to do that unless conditions are right.

I remember PMB's creating gameplay variety between bases when their walls were invulnerable, now they are just deleted when the zerg comes and by the time blue berries realize whats happening the PMB has been demolished.

During the time when walls were still invulnerable there was a base between indar ex. and quartz ridge, NC were pushed out of quartz and naturally the TR zerg would push to indar excavation. The TR zerg could simply go around the base but they chose to focus on it and a good long lasting fight ensued. Base VS Zerg. Good times!

Nowadays that same zerg will simply delete the walls since they are no longer invulnerable and the base becomes an irrelavent waste of time to even build since it just blows over when the zerg huffs and puffs.

If walls aren't going to be invulnerable again they need to quadruple the mining rate since bases are so easily destroyed now. That way people don't waste so much time on something that will be destroyed so quickly.
    • Up x 1
  8. PlanetBound

When we had the Hive, there was a reason to support a base. Now, PMB's are mainly a side game for cert farmers and those enjoying the casual challenge of taking them down or terrorizing the base builder.
    • Up x 3
  9. Peebuddy

Also the fact that the AI turrets are beyond useless, seem to only shoot at targets 5 yards in front of it. You can't place the spawn tube anywhere defensible, is easily destroyed with bullets, and has the spawn timer of a router. Any attacker with a sunderer will easily out spawn your base.

Seems the only meaningful tactic is to just pile EVERYTHING inside the sunderer garage, which is disfunctional and ugly as hell. They really need to update construction, they put so much effort into it I'd hate to see them sweep it under the rug. Especially since it's like 20k certs to get everything, holy ****!

I wan't more buildings, different variants to those buildings, I'm tired of seeing the same box like bases because this game is minecraft and we only have the equipment for squares.
    • Up x 1
  10. PlanetBound

With the implant that trades your shield for a lot of health, an infiltrator can destroy the spawn tube before the pain spire does its job.
  11. badname123

please i dont want to ever go back to victory points
  12. RblDiver

I hate that only OS can shoot at bases, but the flail and glaive can't.
  13. changeusdtoreal

If it's so cert expensive, then buy a bundle with dbc. I am total cheap aswell, the only 15 bucks I ever spend on PS2 were for the defender bundle while on sale. Construction isn't useless.
    - build a silo and an airpad near the WG, now you can pull endless ESF and valks
    - build on vehicle capture points, or Ikanaam (or what the name was) biolab in amerish
    - OS are fun and honestly terrible at nuking enemy bases, most constructions will survive, can't even kill enemy OS/silo
    Even doing solo one man bases myself with OS work and I get some OS launches off if I placed everything right and in hindsight, considering terretorial development. Place all important modules in the open middle of the base, not inside some structure, have the AI turret in LOS of those modules, in addition the pain spire works wonders, too bad you can place only one effectively in a small base. Construction is also great for holding chokepoints. If you care about the alert and think your empire has advanced far enough, choose the next closest chokepoint in friendly terretory to stop enemy advancements which might occur if friendlies get outnumbered. If you see an entire outfit coming for your base, you did everything right. I'm not even mentioning glaive/flail and the spawn router, which give you measures against enemy bases and a better spawn locations than a sundy.

Construction is fine as it is, even when doing it alone. I only wish there were better placement indications and a way to make construction set on the first try the moment they turn from red to green. The AV turret feels totally weak if left alone with an ai module lateley, but still, if somebody mans it, he can pick off tanks from far away easily. Sieging with an ANT seems kinda bugged, just used the top laser on an abandoned OS base and the OS displayed a bar while sieging it, it was on 50, would drop a few numbers to maybe 38 before I overheat the laser, then the numbers crawl back to 50.There were no repair modules around, could siege walls nromally. Construction needs some fine tuning in general, rest is fine.
    • Up x 1