[Suggestion] Connery and Emerald Need To Be Merged

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Tortricat, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Taemien

Guess you're a liar as well.

I'll explain what I meant. I called them out because they were either naive or bigoted. And I wanted them to explain themselves.

The reason they might be naive is because they might not understand the following:

1. Merger would not cause the population to rise above numbers that the servers once had (stats provided by OP support this).
    2. Higher population would not cause overcrowding. Never did, when populations were higher and we have methods such as more continents now and dynamic locking and queues to help spread it out. Even more so now then we did when the populations were higher.
    3. Connection issues are not nearly as prevalent as they claim to be. As many have attested to, including myself, you can play on the east coast from the west with no issues, and vice versa.
    4. The servers have dynamic balancing load functions to handle high populations. It is as simple as going to another section of the map if someone is crazy enough to drop 4 platoon elements on a single base. Even post merger, the numbers aren't supported to allow for this to happen much more than it does now.

As for the claims of bigotry. I explain that as well. Knowing the facts above about population, latency, and server load. One can only assume that by dismissing the facts out of hand, that the reasoning has to be something.. well irrational.

Connery specifically has a unique playerbase. We have players from around the pacific and Asia. Japan, Republic of China (Taiwan), South Korea, Australia, and New Zealand. As well as servicemembers from the US stationed in those regions as well. Are their pings higher? In some cases about 80-120 higher. Does it cause issues? In minor ways sometimes. But not enough to warrant a staged attack against a merger.

You see those countries play at a different timezone than the majority of Emerald players. I know because I'm on the East Coast. The only time you see a large number of such players is in the 2am-12pm timeframe (more so in the center of such). However, they STILL do NOT make up the majority of players during that time. They have enough to maybe field a platoon sized element.

The rubber banding, the craziness from latency, all that I have NOT seen on a normal basis during those hours. The biggest issue is probably a language barrier. I've been in one of their squads where they did use voice chat. And let me tell you something. Its not that bad. Everything that pertains to the game.. was in English. Gunships, Squad, Next Base, Beacon.. all those words were used. Only the banter that you commonly see in some squads was in a different language. But all the pertinent info was understandable.

So why is it still legitimate of an issue? Why oppose to a playerbase that likely isn't even online during the time period you are. And even if you are up that late/early, why not embrace a functioning population at that hour?

So maybe they just don't like people different than them. Either ethnically, regionally, or just different in general. I don't know, I don't care. Let them explain themselves. They're being irrational either way. I don't know who they are, I personally don't have anything against them. But they sure as hell took a random stranger's post about them seriously and as personally as they could. A nerve was hit, and well.. that usually tells me they feel guilty about something. Or perhaps they are overreacting.

Either way, they'll ignore me or wise up eventually, I don't really give a damn either way. As for calling them the worst thing possible.. nope. There's one thing worse I can call them. But surprisingly I'm not here to troll, so I won't go there.

This I don't even understand. There's no way you can tell me that two different servers have two different types of players. Both Emerald and Connery have hardcore outfits, casual outfits, lone wolves, veterans, and newbies. This isn't a MMORPG where we're merging a RP server with a PVP one.

Now what is a possible legitimate issue is the faction balance. If Connery's general NC population is high for example, and Emerald's is high as well.. that would exacerbate the issue both servers have. Its a concern I saw brought up when Connery and Helios were merged. And that is a valid concern. However, the populations of the factions of both servers would actually be a bit more balanced post a merger.
  2. RedArmy

connery is 30% Koreans and Chinese with terrible Ping - the last thing we need is more people with bad ping
    • Up x 1
  3. Taemien

Its less than 10%, with the majority playing during offpeak hours. You do not have your facts straight.
  4. WeRelic

You guys do know that ping isn't solely determined by number of players or distance to the server... right?

There are dozens of variables that account for latency, number of players on the server is usually one of the minor ones.

A strong windstorm would affect your latency more than merging two servers that aren't even close to half capacity.
  5. Taemien

Very true. Emerald is located in Virginia, which like much of the East Coast, is one hurricane from going down for a few days.

But these sorts of events are on the rare side. The only issue I had recently was during the storms we had a few months ago that drowned the south, I had to move my steam download from Atlanta and Charlotte to Boston temporarily. I don't believe this is something we need to be concerned with on a PS2 server.
  6. Tortricat

They also need to Merge the PS4 servers, there are too many and none of them even hit Medium population anymore.

https://www.daybreakgames.com/status?locale=en_US

I think they will eventually merge the PS4 servers first, when they do that then they should Merge Connery and Emerald soon after. Since many people in North America probably have characters from different factions on Connery and Emerald, there would be an option to select your "primary character" if you have characters in 2 of the 3 factions or 3/3 factions. Selecting your primary will give you a slight cert bonus and some free skins for that faction. I think that would be a good idea to help balance population numbers between the factions. I don't think many people have characters accross all 3 factions anyway, I estimate 60% of active players on Connery/Emerald combined have 1 character in 1 faction, 30% have characters in 2 factions and 10% have characters in all 3 factoins.
  7. Killuminati C

Aside from weekends on Connery it's pretty rare to find anything more than 1-12 versus 1-12 fights anymore unless it's right after an update which doesn't last.

I'm finding it harder and harder to justify my membership when most nights the server is a ghost town and I know of a few other members and long time players who feel the same. Why continue to pay for a game that rarely has any players on our server to shoot?

Should what's left of the west coast members just quit helping to fund the game and hasten the downfall of PS2 just so Emerald players can continue feeling superior and the occasional Connery player who's computer can't handle bigger fights than I mentioned above without his fps going to hell can continue to enjoy his ghostcap?

I seriously don't see what the problem is. I have a couple low BR alts and never have any performance issues when playing on Emerald. A decent % of what was left of our pop moved on to Emerald already as it's so dead on Connery these days and they didn't seem to crash your server. I just don't want to have to start building my loadouts from scratch.
  8. Taemien

Most of the people I play with have characters in 2 factions on Connery. You're allowed to have as many characters in as many factions on the same server. Its not a big deal actually. Until one of your outfitmates decides to switch to gank you a few times. :p
  9. Nabil1998

Link to stats?
  10. Savadrin

I just wandered into this thread and I'm so lost now.

It's like we're about to find out whether Jerry Springer or Montell Jordan is the father,

And I'm fascinated by all the nerd rage and old bad blood. Kind of makes me sad I only started playing recently.
  11. MorganM

In the mean time... you regularly get queued on Emerald during prime time.

Sorry Connery sucks but Emerald can't handle it right now.
  12. Killuminati C

So because you might have to wait a minute or two to get to your preferred continent during primetime we should let the west coast playerbase completely die off? That's some pretty sound logic for the overall health of the game. That has nothing to do with whether Emerald can handle it rather that you just don't want to be bothered to wait a few minutes to warp to another continent.
  13. Taemien

You mean All-Access might get one of the perks they paid for?
  14. Gundem

There wasn't even any bad blood, our friend over there just lost his marbles and started blathering all about how the people who don't want Connery and Emerald merged are racist, bigoted etc.

For all I knew we actually got along perfectly fine before. But apparently, not.
    • Up x 1
  15. JTM4x

I don't really care if there is a merge, but one thing that should be considered is the culture-shock that will happen. There is serious bad blood between NC Connery and NC Emerald (outside of the small elite outfits). Many swapped servers, in search of play-styles that suited them. I am talking BR100s who packed up and started all over on another server, because they despised playing on their first so much. The people who remain on Connery NC are some of the most stubborn SOBs for freedom you're gonna meet. There will be a lot of frustrated emerald formers, to say the least. I know this because they will jump into pub platoons to see how the server is doing, and they get really emotional (this happens often). I mean some of them are literally beside themselves before leaving, without anyone even saying a word to them. If you guys want a merge, bring it. I can hang. I came from Briggs NC, and I know how dark factions get.