Congratz guys, there is now an upcoming AV Sniper Rifle...

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Jawarisin, Feb 5, 2015.

1. DxAdder

They have already stated that this WON'T be a long range weapon and Slower then the current bolt action Rifles.

It will do some damage to light armor and scratch the paint of Hvy Armor, why would any Infiltrator take this over there primary ?
    • Up x 1
  2. CuteBeaver

[IMG]

And besides... we already established infils only need a secondary XD.
    • Up x 2
  3. Gemenai

But i want this for my infiltraotr :'(

This could finally get me back to the game for another period.
  4. Eternaloptimist

An effective rifle against Max....oh yes please. Against a tank? really? Although I can see it's use against Harasser, AT rifles didn't blow things up. They penetrated the armour to kill the guy behind it. Someone posted a suggestion recently about sniper rifles being able to penetrate the cockpit of a aircraft and kill the pilot - same Idea and I quite liked it. It would need to work the way you can shoot a guy off a flash. I agree with others though, sniper or other class for sure but HA? Nah. They have enough weapon choices and if they are doing their job of leading the charge why would they want a very situational weapon like that?
  5. stalkish

ALL of the comments about tier 4 implants were negative.......
    • Up x 2
  6. MajiinBuu

Explosive crossbow bolts, anyone?
    • Up x 2
  7. tornflags

Holy **** we could have a complete Anti-MAX loadout: AV sniper, explosive bolts & ammo belt.
    • Up x 1
  8. WarmasterRaptor

I meant this as I don't think it should be a primary weapon.

I don't know why on the heavy, as a few said, launchers > that.

On infil... I'm not so sure it would be a good idea :\
  9. Baracuda

This is desperately needed for the infiltrator being that the infil has had NO AV since release while every other class has at least one or multiple ways to deter armor and/or air. While it may seem 'OP' at first glance, it prolly won't have a high velocity, it will be loud, no suppressor, and still won't hold a candle to tradition means of AV. However just giving this AV option to infils will make them a more viable class selection at almost any battle rather than just used for niche activities like CQC, sniping, and just standard recon. Being that the infil is literally the weakest class in the game and limited to single combat roles unlike other classes, if the gun is added and made infil exclusive, infils will at least be a tad bit more viable, but if the sniper rifle is given to the heavy and engineer, what point would there be in playing infil anymore when every other class has your guns, takes more damage, and can do more to impact a battle.
  10. thebigbortishbort

infiltrators will always have a place in combat , even if another class had this rifle they cant cloak and besides its more likely that if they got the weapon they wouldnt be entirely concentrating on infantry , my vision of this rifle's velocity will probably be like a close range rifle in which it could still reach range pretty well but require quite a bit more leading than other ranged weapons , worse than a normal silenced sniper rifle if the time came they would always be outdone by proper snipers
  11. Jawarisin

I'd clap to that speech if I could. The only issue I see with it is that yes, we got the most awesome tool (recon darts ftw) but your ability is near-useless. because anybody that doesn't see me while I'm invisible is someone that I could of killed face to face without loosing my shield.
  12. Foxirus

13. Foxirus

Technically the Infiltrator DOES have an AV option. You can always break out your cross bow and equip it with explosive bolts. Its just so pathetic that some people refuse to even acknowledge that it exists.
  14. Casey B

Now that I think about it...Just looking at that model, it should just be a NS sniper rifle for infils of all factions. After all there is a NS version of every other weapon but sniper rifles. Maybe it could differentiate itself from the other snipers by having a explosive ammo option. That would allow it to do damage to armor, ect but at the cost of decreased bullet velocity and more bullet drop. With regular ammo it's just another BASR.

I guess a AP ammo option would make more sense realistically but there is no way to justify why a AP round would have less range/velocity then a standard one. AP rounds usually weigh the same as a standard round and fired with more charge for a even higher velocity. Not less. Whereas explosive rounds are fat, and take more space in the cartridge leaving less space for powder. They are also not as aerodynamic either or as accurate.
  15. Gemenai

Does anybody know, when the rilfe is going to be on the test server?
    I mean anything other than "soon" ?
  16. Moonheart

I would prefer an AV option that requiers us to INFILTRATE a hundred times to an Anti-Material rifle.

I dream to be able to booby-trap terminals, or be able to hack vehicle hatch to shoot my gun straight at the driver's seat.... something like that, but not a rocket launcher-like tool for the inf...
  17. MisterSlim

As a cloaker, I love the idea of expanding our role.. but not like this. (That said, I think that Medics should also not be allowed to have C4, but that's another matter for another thread.) I think we should be shown some attention in terms of what our role consists of, rather than being flung into a different role entirely. If I'm leading a squad, I don't want to say "There's a group of Prowlers raining hell on us. Everyone swap to cloaker and take them out." It just isn't what we are designed to do. If you trade off an anti-personnel sniper rifle for an anti-vehicle sniper rifle, we become not only inefficient vehicle killers (if we were efficient at it, it would HUGELY tip the class balance scale in an unfavorable direction), but we are now inefficient at killing high-pirority infantry too (a sniper's intended role). In short, I don't think throwing us an entirely different role will solve anything, rather, it will just make things worse for the class as a whole.

Giving this to Engineers might not be a terrible idea, but I fail to see who would use it, or why it would be used (besides looking cool). Engineers already have turrets that launch guided explosives from beyond render range, so giving them a slightly more mobile, shorter range method of vehicular destruction probably wouldn't make much of a difference. I am neutral to the idea of giving this rifle to Engineers. Not because I feel that their class doesn't deserve a weapon like this, but because I feel that their class just doesn't really need a weapon like this to get the job done.

Giving this to Heavies would be in a similar boat to giving this to Engineers. They already have the tools they need, and those tools are fairly good at what they do. Especially if you're in the VS, and already have the Lancer, which is nigh impossible to challenge in terms of long range vehicle destruction. Between all the rocket launchers that exist for a Heavy, why would he choose an AMR?

Think of it like this: You are eating a steak, cutting it up with your steak knife. Someone offers you another steak knife of equal sharpness (if the sharpness of the new knife was higher than the original, everyone would abandon the original, and new knives would flood the dining area in an unbalanced way). You really have no need for the new knife, as you are already cutting the steak just fine, and using a knife you are already comfortable with. The new knife just isn't needed, as its role is already being filled.

My Two Cents
    -MisterFr0st
  18. Wroth

Is this new AV sniper going to kill infantry as well, and will it be NS ( commonpool )
  19. _itg

It's definitely NS, as the picture would suggest. As for whether it will kill infantry, we don't really have any information, but I would speculate that it will not be an OHK weapon, because the devs were considering making this weapon available in the HA/engi tool slot, and it would be totally insane to let anyone carry a BASR in addition to their primary weapon.
  20. Warlord8gunner

lol. make the rifle instantly kill maxes if it head shots them :)