Confusion about camo

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Zombekas, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Zombekas

I don't understand the frustration on camos having faction colors, I thought the purpose of camos are not to make it harder to distinguish factions but to make you blend in better with the surroundings? :confused:
  2. Nocturnal7x

Camos have no purpose other than looks. In this game that is.
  3. then00b

I doubt many people care with the doritos over their heads, radar, and ir scopes making them glow like the sun. Pretty much just for cosmetics. Not like we have prone or ghillie suits to make maximum use of stealth without cloak.
  4. Pikachu

Camo in this game is to make things look prettier. I love it. :) I wish though that the distribution of popularity was more even.
  5. Zombekas

Well, I use one one the least popular "amoeba" camo. Looks a little ugly, but can't complain when it's free :D
  6. Zombekas

But... But you can't even see yourself... :confused:
  7. Ryme

I was actually under the impression that cammo, decals, helmets, and other visual options were meant for cosmetic individuality.

In reality, any form of visual concealment is an advantage. For that matter, short of being unseen, being indistinguishable is the next best thing.

To answer your question, they do want to blend in with their surroundings. It's just that the "surroundings" they want to blend in with are the soldiers of the enemy factions.
  8. Nocturnal7x

You can see your arm, you can see your gun, you can see yourself in the login, profile and loadout screens. Other people see it and because I have the limited availability patriot camo my friends can more easily find me in a crowd.
  9. Ryme

There's free camo? Where and how do I get it?
    • Up x 1
  10. Zombekas

There were some codes posted on PS2 EU's facebook and twitter a few weeks ago, for the halloween event with the vanu zombie medics on Miller, I was lucky enough to grab one. I assume the camo was supposed to make you look like a zombie or something?

On redeeming the code you got the amoeba camo (only for character, no guns no vehicles) and skull helmet for medic. What's great is that it's account wide, so not only the vanu character got it :)
  11. wolfva

At least none of SOE's camos are as horrible as this one...

[IMG]

Now, granted it looks pretty nice. I'd put that on for Esamir any day. BUT. That happens to be the official US Navy camo for it's waterborne sailors. Just what every sailor wants if he falls into the ocean...to BLEND IN.
  12. Pikachu

I see people with it time to time. And I thini its ugly. The camo I use on vehicles seems to be the most rare of all, indar highlands v2. Most rare among terrain camos I mean.
  13. Zombekas

Found the link https://twitter.com/PS2EU

Just scroll down a bit, 100 - 200 codes were posted. They'll probably all be taken though :/
  14. Ryme

Thanks for digging it up. Guess I'll have to remain an ugly default camo'd grunt.
  15. FateJH

Except they don't, with only a handful of exceptions. In this game, the only significant purpose of most camos is to mess with allies and enemies who will take a second to determine whether or not that thing is actually on their side. Then they Q-spot and the luster is gone. Camos are this game's version of "skins," no more, no less.
  16. Morpholine

17. RobotNinja

In one of the devchat videos Higby himself encouraged players to purchase camos like Giraffe which would confuse the enemy so they would have a hard time discerning enemies from friendlies.

Players have been complaining about the uneven camo coverage between the factions with VS having the best overall, NC a close second...at least until they gave all the Infs baby blue bras and assless chaps and TR dead last and being covered from head to toe in bright red stripes.

Instead of fixing the camo coverage, Higby in his great wisdom nerfed it, made it worse, made it uglier and now they're going to release secondary camos, so players will have to pay just to get the exact same camo coverage they had before the nerf...and still SOE will not have fixed or addressed the camo coverage issue at all!

You have to hand it to the dev team on this one. That is simply brilliant. Instead of giving players the camo fix they've been pleading for, nerf it, make them uglier and then make them pay just to revert back to the original.
  18. wolfva

I ran into a room about an hour ago, did a quick scan, noticed a white blob in the corner but didn't even think about it. Figured it was just light. Then the freaking TR MAX lit me up. 20 feet away and I couldn't see a MAX. Man. I'm glad they don't make steel colored camo, then they'd blend into the freakin walls.