Computer Locks-up on Character Select Screen

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Harkmagic, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Harkmagic

As the title says when the game loads to the main menu where you select your character the game crashes, and crashes hard. It locks up before any of the characters load to the point of being visible. CTRL+ALT+DEL will bring up the task manager but it actually causes the task manager to lock up. I actually have to manually power down my computer to fix my computer.

Brand new gaming computer, which upsets me because my old computer didn't really meet the minimum requirements and ran the game just fine.

Operating System: Windows 8 64-bit (6.2, Build 9200)
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
    Memory: 16GB RAM
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670MX

Would have posted the whole DxDiag file, but most people, myself included find it to be a useless sea of numbers.
  2. Birdrock

Odd as it may sound, try deleting the useroptions.ini file. My computer developed an issue where it would lock after 1-20 seconds in game. I could bring up the task manager, but it would lock as well. The only things I could do were log out of windows or manually reset the computer. After deleting this file, I haven't had a hard lock since.
  3. Harkmagic

Didn't help
  4. Harkmagic

Going to bump this. One of the main reasons I got a new computer was so I could play PlanetSide 2 on a good computer so this really sucks.
  5. Rysborn

6. TSR-Jesse S Customer Service

That's definitely strange, the only thing in your set-up that concerns me is the graphics card; it's a perfectly fine card, however it's so new that your particular make/model of graphics card isn't *actually* on the supported graphics cards list, this doesn't mean it won't be supported, I just don't think it's been properly tested for use yet. If in the event you are able to get the game working with that video card, please let us know how you were able to do so.

In the mean-time, I'll be sending this up the chain to our compatibility lab for review. I'll let you know if I hear anything.
  7. Harkmagic

I'll keep trying, but nothing seems to be helping even a little. If there is any more info I can give you to help figure out the problem let me know.
  8. TSR-Jesse S Customer Service

Best advice I can give you at this point is to sit tight, keep checking the forums periodically for any updates, check NVidia's web-site to ensure you have the latest updates for your drivers.
  9. Rysborn

I may have found the solution, had the same problem.

In the launcher, go to advanced tools and select validate game assets. I hadnt changed any of my files myself, but still it downloaded 2-3 files for me, and now everything works again.
  10. Harkmagic

I hadn't considered that since I had a fresh install. I guess I assumed nothing had happened that could mess with the files. Had to re-download over a GB of files, but it worked. Considering there are a bunch of people reporting similar issues maybe there is a problem with the updater.