Compensator + Eidolon

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by beasteh, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Quovatis

Battle rifles need no damage fall off, then they will be worth something. As is, carbines in single shot mode actually do more damage at medium range, and that's sad.
  2. Sian

hopefully the devs are listening. Battle rifles sacrifice a lot vs carbines under 20 meters, and they can't even match the carbines at extreme range because of slow projectiles and extreme damage falloff.
  3. Nenarch

Don't get any battlerifles until they'r fixed... You need to lead like so much if your aiming anything.. useless weapon.
  4. Daikaze

The idea of the battle rifle is pretty appealing, but after a trial I found the Eidolon to be lacking. The damage drop-off is too much, and the gun really didn't compare to my Solstice-SF at long range.
  5. Sian

I'm certainly not upgrading mine anymore until it's anything more than a liability.
    Equip an Eidolon and get killed by everything at short range, and MGsniped by CARVs at long range.
  6. Joehunk

I actually like the Eidolon okay but I do wish it had less damage falloff. They changed it in the patch. The sound is changed for sure (like the new one). Hip accuracy seems better. Recoil seems maybe a little worse but more predictable. It was enough to make me go HUH?! when I pulled it out and shot it for the first time today. I shot it at a friend and the damage up close is the same, need to check from range.
  7. TwardyBat

I'm glad that someone has started that thread.Either for suggestions around attachments or debate around dramatic damage falloff over the distance.I personally love the idea of battle rifle.I unlocked it over a week ago and I was suprised how this gun was lacking in dmg at longer distances.It didn't fell right to me and I was dissapointed. Because I paid SC for I didn't want to leave it so I started to use it in CQC.Yes in CQC with really good results.I was able to win most of 1 vs 1 ecounters usually without scratch.For me it had great TTK .I have over 200 kills with it and last night before patch I decided to call Eidolon a heavy pistol with large magazine and scope. (Pistol suitable up to 25 m) . lol

I loved the sound of this gun - loud "paaw paww". :)

Since yesterday's patch the gun feels much different to the level where I think I am gonna have to learn how to use it from scratch.Probalby due to the different recoil. I played is only 30 minutes where I only had a chance to shoot 3 enemies ,some walls and my mate. More info below.I think now that I am going to need different scopes as to fully utilze it a battle rifle not CQC pistol .At the moment I only own 2x reflex and 6x scopes .No compensator ,grip and supressor.

Anyway here is a list of changes I've noticed:

- reload speed has been increased
    - projectile has lower diameter and has a different color (before kinda cold blue'ish now violet'ish)
    - projectile speed ( feels faster but maybe its just my impression)
    - gun recoil has been slightly increased (someone mentioned that before)
    - gun sound is completely different ( it does sound quiet now,very unique sound )
    - dmg for medium and longer distances (I didn't test it in action for more than 3 kills as it was 3 am but did some tests with my mate to see whether there is any dmg buff for projectile dmg at medium and longer distances.i've been shooting him from about 100m away. dmg has been increased .its fine now but can't remember how much dmg single projectile did - cant remember now sorry so this require more checking .)

If someone has a compensator please post some thoughts about what is your impression with Eidolon after last patch.Cheers

P.S I am going to do extensive dmg over distance testing tonight so I will post some results around midnight.
    • Up x 1
  8. Xae

It needs more damage to even start being competitive.

It does 250 base damage, some LMGs are 200, some pistols start are 200, some Carbines are 200.

Giving up Automatic fire, magazine size, and adding a boat load of recoil should move the damage up a bit. Closer to 300 or 350. Semi-automatic snipers do 400.
    I think 350 is probably the sweet spot, since that will open up 3 body shot kills, provided they don't have nano weave.
  9. Joehunk

You can't really compare it to those weapons though since they have much worse falloff. Also I play VS and no carbines or LMGs do 200 for VS (or TR for that matter). We do get a pistol that does 200 but only up close. I find it an excellent pair to the Eidolon because then you have all ranges covered.

The semi-auto snipers do 400 but also have scope sway/require hold-breath.

Don't get me wrong I would not complain if they raised the damage, but that is more of a nice to have. If you raise it too much it starts to look just like the semi auto scout rifles which do 334 (3 body shots with no nano), only they fire slower and have a lot more recoil. Removing damage drop is a must though. No weapon that's specifically meant for long range engagements should have damage drop at the range you're meant to be using it at.
  10. TheEvilBlight

Patchnotes don't indicate a fix. I guess I'd have to check patchnotes and those weapon datafiles...
  11. TwardyBat

There is nothing about weapon change in patch notes.Let us know what you found in new data files.Another thing I've noticed is different fire rate.Eidolon firerate has been decreased .I am not happy with that now.
  12. Sian

I don't see this in the data after going through it manually. The only change to the Eidolon, or any battle rifle, is the sound.
  13. Autarkis

Bumping this in strong support for a buff. I bought the Eidolon and it's not very good. Very remorseful about it. I have learned to land shots fine but the damage just isn't there, at any range. If the current fire rate and kick remains, damage needs to be increased.

I had hoped it would be like the Mk 14 EBR - my favorite gun.

It's a sad, sad weapon right now.
  14. itzCujo666

I've used the Eidolon now for ...hmmm...about a week I guess. I play mainly engineer, supporting my outfit.

I didn't like it much for the first day or 2, but after a few days of use, I've grown to like it (but only like).

I have the compensator, the laser sight and a 3.4x scope on it. I also have my mouse dpi sensitivity very low (I don't go in to CQC, so don't need to twitch around) and have pretty good aim.

With the compensator, I find I can put shots downrange, on target (more or less) as fast as I can spam the trigger. I'm also adjusting my aim, not having the compensator do all the work, but it really helps. I found the biggest difference to be with the compensator.

For the laser sight, it's more situational. I usually run with it off (note, since the last patch, the laser on and off bug has been fixed, and it is now off to others when you turn it off - I've tested this with an outfit mate). If I'm playing the gun right, I'm not really in CQC much, more hanging back, 2nd line and supporting the front, but I do run with an outfit, so there's always times I have to be on the point, and people pop out unexpectedly sometimes, hence the laser sight.

So...long way of saying - put some certs in the weapon, practice, use it for 2nd line, counter sniper, that sort of thing, and it seems fine to pretty good to me. Of course, it suffers from the same problem all the PS2 weapons suffer from - same models, doesn't really feel very different, marginal difference from other guns, etc..etc...but, all the guns in the game suffer from that.

But, of course I would like it buffed. More damage, faster round travel, bigger magazine, faster reload, smaller cone of fire, less recoil, 1 shot kill, yeah, sure, I'll take anything - who wouldn't want their primary weapon buffed?? What I would really, really like would be access to different ammo types (specifically high velocity rounds). :D
  15. TwardyBat

Sorry to say but I have different impression.Of course I may be wrong but I think changes affected now only sound change.
  16. TwardyBat

I think current recoil strength should equal to bullet dmg increase from 250 to 300 or 325. That would cover it and counter the recoil affecting a TTK because often you land 1st bullet and 2nd and then target is escaping and its hard to finish job because target is moving.It's pretty much taking a whole joy from this gun.

It is meant to be a battle rifle destined to take targets down not to get assists only.

As for me the projectile velocity is absolutely fine.I don't want bigger magazine and faster reload as well.

I fully agree in regards of visual design part.All is very similar to all Vanu models.Would be nice to see a very unique design.But compared to Lasher design ,Eidolon looks much better.I feel sorry for Lasher owners as their gun looks like carbine shooting plasma orbs. Shocking really considering its Heavy Special AI .

D.a.m.n designers

HV ammo ?Not for me.It is battle rifle.It should deliver enough punch and speed without any bullet modifications.I understand compensator and foregrip .That's fine but no need for different ammo types.
  17. TwardyBat

Posted typo here .... correct sentence -> I think changes affected more than sound change.
  18. TwardyBat

In a last few days I was thinking a lot of this gun and I came to conclusion that I would like it to be redesigned .I would like it to be burst fire only.Similar to burst fire rifles from Blacklight Retribution.

Burst fire shooting 3 rounds matched with current recoil where recoil has a tendency to go up with neither a left or right bias, leading to shots being nearly all vertical when using ADS.This mixture would really appeal to me. Of course bullet dmg should be adjusted accordingly. Probably something like x = 6 bullets in torso to kill a target ,less if you hit head.
  19. fourfourfun

It is in my setup as a companion to my Serpent. I've been in Zerg situations where I am sat on the outskirts of a battle, fixing MAX's and vehicles, dropping ammo and generally being useful... and it has come in handy to provide some middle distance force. In a base defense on Esamir, which was surrounded by open plains and rocky outcrops, it was really useful for sitting just behind the front line and picking people off. I notched up some good kills that way. I DO need to pour some certs into it though to address that vertical recoil, but not regretful for having this in my setup. Naturally I won't be romping around a Biolab with this anytime soon, or going on 1 on 1 attacks.
  20. BurntDevil

The battle rifles were buffed once, which is funny considering they still are inferior to other options. When they went up to what they are now I bought one (having trialed it before the patch) at the full price. I regret that before the shotgun with slugs is far more capable which honestly doesnt make a whole lot of sense to me. If the battle rifle did 300 damage instead, or 325 (lowering it to a 4 shot body shot weapon on basic infantry) then itd tactically have a place. Right now you throw wet noodles down range and hope to leech sniper kills, all while being useless up close. If you like to leech, then sure, find that infil, give him some ammo and the procede to get on his TK on sight list. Otherwise, get the shotgun and slugs or wait for SOE to give the weapon a proper role.