CoF, classes, movement, crouching and infantry combat

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Brok9000, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Brok9000

The other thread got closed but some interesting points came up that I think warrant a more respectful discussion.

=> different CoFs for different classes

* It could be pretty cool if LA had the best CoFs (as in smallest) while moving and flying (not jumping, wish jumping had a timer) and say
    * HAs had small CoFs while standing still or crouching
    * Medics could lean towards LAs and engis towards HAs (or just be middle of the road on everything)
    * Infs could maybe start out with the smallest CoFs that grow the fastest.

Just mild differences, at least to start off with. They have classes, I think they should all be more distinctive. The weapon differences were a start.
    I have some other ideas on this, like more specialized weapons (kinda odd how most weapons feel about the same, just larger or smaller clips and/or damage (a few stand out and the grenade launcher is one of these, once it works properly). Like why not have scatter shot for shot guns that works well on teh move but lower damage, and a LMG that has a small CoF when crouched but really can't be used at all while on the move? Ect. could have many variants for some cool game play in certain situations (course, this assumes we don't all end up in vehicles 90% of the time... ;) ).

Anyways, I thought CoF class variations was a cool idea.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    As for the original thread, I think it was confusing aiming with CoF. This was what I was going to say:

"The issue is not aiming but the cone of fire (CoF). In an FPS, aiming = skill and those who can do it while on the move should be allowed to, that is aprt of the fun in an FPS. But in more strategic/tactical FPS games (which I used to think PS2 was), the CoF should be used to affect choices on the how, why and where you use various weapons. Like in most FPS games you have a large machine gun that some HA can use. You typically crouch or go prone with it because the CoF is massive while standing or on the move (even with burst fire). This kind of game play is totally lacking in PS2. They don't have weapons like that (not sure why not, their weapon modeling could support it) and they reward charging around (mostly with rendering issues, but they also don't adequately 'reward' crouching or standing still firing with a smaller overall CoF, only a smaller starting CoF).

PS2 seems to be designed for, well, massive amounts of infantry deaths. I can play this way but I definitely prefer other FPS infantry battling models."
  2. MurderBunneh

I disagree I can clearly see that my starting cof while not ads on my SAW is 4x larger then that of my Guass burst. I'm sorry that this amount of difference is not great enough to satisfy some of the players.
  3. cfnz

I don't really like the sound of that but then I view flying for LA as a mobility advantage, allowing the class to get to places others cannot, rather than something to be used in combat.

In general I'd much prefer alternative method of handling weapon accuracy and variation than CoF, e.g. weapon sway. That's just a personal preference thing though.
  4. Littleman

Carbines naturally have the best CoF already, followed by rifles, and then LMG's and I guess sniper rifles, if you really want to count those too. Now, there are variants with varying degrees of CoF. Generally, if the description reads "accurate hip fire" and has access to advanced laser pointers, it's going to be a strong CoF gun, if possibly a bit unwieldy over longer distances while ADS.
  5. Brok9000

Yeah, laser pointers definitely make a difference and hip firing possible. That is a nice game mechanic.

Your CoF list is accurate but in practice I don't notice as much variation. Weapons like the NC Saw are exceptions to that, since without add ons its CoF becomes quite large while moving or taking fire.

A variable in all this is rendering and lag, which makes it difficult to tell how long you wee taking fire from a weapon since sometimes it seems like an instantaneous kill. I know from gunning down players that I rarely drop someone quickly but that many don't move/dodge and so I think to them I must not have rendered so they don't realize the gun fire they are taking. On my end I sometimes drop suddenly but I know now that I properly was taking fire for a few seconds. Only a few weapons can drop people fast (that and head shots).
  6. Brok9000

Weapons do jump about from recoil and adding sway or overcompensation when moving is fine with me as well, the problem is that most players really h8 sway mechanics. It is also very hackable.

CoF is not ideal but since it is in the game why not use it.