[Suggestion] Coaxial HMG/LMG for MBTs

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by asdfPanda, Jan 16, 2015.

1. asdfPanda

I'm not fond of the proposed MBT and Lightning buffs. The new buffs will increase MBT HP by 20-30% and Lightning HP by 30-40%. They should be buffed, but not in this way. Why can't we have coaxial Basilisk/Kobalt instead? In this way, I could target enemy infantry with "skill" instead of countering C4 ***** or C4 fairies with more health.
    • Up x 2
  2. FateJH

MBTs could have had (well, still have) a second weapon to deal with C4-type people as it is, but you need a second guy, and your direct AV strength is reduced.
  3. BlueSkies

No no no... the 1/2 tank drivers who really only know how to pull up to a base (never to move again), turn on thermal, and commence shelling all while ignoring everything around them need protection!
    • Up x 1
  4. asdfPanda

If players are being farmed by a player with that bad of situational awareness, and refuse to pull a C4 LA, they deserve to be farmed.
    • Up x 1
  5. Freedom Fries

I pretty much feel the same way. Tanks don't need a giant health increase. It's like an elephant running from a mouse every time they see a light assault or bunny hopping suicide heavy assault. A kobalt(possibly a less accurate one to limit range) would fit this role very well.
    • Up x 1
  6. CNR4806

I just returned to BF3 and played a few games a week or so ago.

You have no idea how glad I have a coaxial LMG there. Killing infantry left and right with thermal+coaxial LMG is tons of fun, and makes the tank a tank more than any durability buff could do.
  7. MrNature72

Apparently, in really early designs of the game, this was a thing.

[IMG]

You can view this in the really early trailer Higby did about the faction differences.
  8. BlueSkies

They do indeed... of course now that crap tanker (which is most of them) won't even have to worry about that any more! Thank god!
  9. ColonelChingles

Oh man. Those look a bit big to be a PS2 LMG (which is like the 12.7mm Kobalt). Almost looks like it had 20mm or greater autocannon in its design. I also assume that those could turn skyward because of those cutouts.

Makes me think of the modern day prototype of the T-72, with the Moderna turret:

[IMG]

Because hey, why not let an MBT protect itself from helicopters and low-flying aircraft?
  10. z1967

I would be ok with this, mainly because my Skyguard would be able to defend itself against anything that isn't bad pilots.
    • Up x 1
  11. Erendil

They were probably 20mm, because the PS1 Vanguard also had coaxial dual-20mm MGs, although they couldn't point very high so they weren't very useful for AA.

The Lightning had a 12mm coax MG as well, and it had a pretty steep firing angle so it worked fairly well as ghetto AA.

12. asdfPanda

The C4 change is completely uncalled for. If the change goes through, Light Assault's utility goes down even further from what it was before.

I'm interested to see how many tank mines it will take to kill a tank, if the changes go through.
  13. KnightCole

pS2 tanks need their firepower back, not more armor. 100million hitpoints wont save the tank from it's ****** lack of firepower. But w/e...SoE is actually kinda bad at making shooters, Thye should stick to MMOs like EQ.

hand off Planetside 2 to...idk what other company.
  14. tf2hero

basically how i use it
  15. Metalsheep

[IMG]

That is because the vanguard is modeled after PS1s vanguard, the other 2 MBTs and the Lightning were redone from the ground up.

The MBTs already have a powerful secondary weapon that can function independently from the Turret. I thin a coaxial Kobalt would be acceptable on the Lightning(Like it had in PS1). But MBTs are good as is.

Personally i am quite happy with the C4 nerf, in a 360 degree battlefield, even the most acute Tanker is bound to be C4d. Its near impossible to keep tabs on every possible direction a LA can approach from. Even with 2 people its quite difficult. Especially in combat.

IMO one of the reasons MBTs stay back and shell is because of C4. Why would they roll in and brawl or be supportive to infantry, when 4 of 5 Non MAX classes carry enough C4 to instagib them?
  16. taxidriver

Lightnings getting shredded by Vulcan-Harassers in seconds, MBT`s getting instagibbed by C4 or outclassed by Fury-Sundis, just because they have one gunner more. I mean the ones are transport-vehicles, the others battle-tanks. I`m fine with a HP-buff, it really was about time.
    The roles of vehicles are a bit mixed up atm.
  17. BobSanders123

How would this work for the magrider?
  18. asdfPanda

Either the secondary gunner would get a coaxial, or the driver would have a fixed LMG/HMG.
  19. Hatesphere

I would gladly give up my optics for a coax on my secondary fire.
  20. IvanCGray

Or, "Tertiary Fire" could just be used...
    • Up x 1