Cloaking is garbage!

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Stride, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Kuroko

yeah cloaking its really useless,

to easy to see, no shots possible in stealth

make the stealth completly and give the scout infantry a option for deploy a antistealth generator
  2. Arsinek

Works fine for me. Stop crying.
  3. PhanttoM

As someone who played Command & Conquer: Renegade for 7 years, I wouldn't even mind if infiltrators had a permanent cloak like the NOD Stealth Soldier from that game. (uncloaks when firing, then takes a few seconds recloak once he stops firing)
  4. Khoziel

Have you ever tried learning the layout of a base(good spots to let cloak recharge with minimum chance of being spotted)?

Once you know a good path to escape, darting around corners with cloak is actually fairly effective.
    Running in a straight line away from an enemy is a free kill for them.
    Serpentine as a cloaker the same you do when someone is trying to long range snipe you.

Also the power of the semi-auto default for TR/VS is something to not be ignored in close range fights.
    If you can sneak up close enough to an enemy(this is where knowing the base layout is really effective), uncloak and spam your sniper unscoped as hard as you can within 5 feet of them, you are almost guaranteed a quick kill before they can react.

I get rogue kills like this all the time.
    Pop my cloak and go sprinting around, unpop and explode some guy with my rifle then mad sprint away using any cloak I might have left to get to a secure area so my cloak can recharge.

Cloak is also very effective sniping, because you shouldn't use it to "hide" from the enemy defensively too much.
    You should use it on an offensive scale.
    When your magazine runs out and you need to reload, cloak and drop behind cover(defensive).
    Then pop cloak back up before moving back into the field of vision, which gives you valuable time being hard to spot, so that you can spot a target yourself.

Make sure you don't go to the exact same damn spot every time or a sniper will be watching spot on for you), which gives you valuable time being hard to spot, so that you can spot a target yourself.

I usually cloak into the field of vision, pick a target and go for the kill. As soon as I kill him or recognize I won't get the kill, I fall back for a reload and reinsertion to the FoV while cloaked.

I love the infil cloak more than any other classes special ability, just due to its range in the role infiltrator plays.

-EDIT-

My only complaint is that you can't fire while cloaked.
    As stated, shooting while cloaked will instantly remove your cloak, but will give infiltrators(opportunists) the ability to react quickly to short-term opportunity kills(or even just react to an enemy spotting and firing on you, so you have a chance of survival).
    • Up x 1
  5. Tooks

Not being able to fire when cloaked is a massive design over-sight. I think just this one change would make life so much easier without makin them OP. (as already stated its obvious that firing would remove your cloak)
  6. Imnuktam

It was awesome in ps1 which is why it was completely re-imagined and turned into a really nice ghillie suit.

Ps1 stealther rocked, it was one of the best classes in the game with a permanent cloak. If you moved slowly while crouching you were mostly undetectable unless someone used darklight (which most everyone had, but you had to activate it and most didnt until you killed their friend) and you were only allowed pistols, grenades and c-4. Was really a nice balance imo.

The name stealther should have died with that class. They should just call it what it is now, Sniper.
  7. Morro

My only gripe with the cloak is they need to get rid of or severely reduce the sound of the cloak being engaged//disengaged. Hell the **** jetpack on a light assault is quieter than the cloaking device. How does that make any sense?
  8. Crator

Devs had said in some videos/posts (sorry, couldn't find right off hand) that they plan on putting the traditional cloaker role in PS2.
  9. Stride

The bottom line is if you can be seen while cloaking then you are not cloaked and its purpose is defeated. Now, although players still manage to play stealthy as a infiltrator that doesn't necessarily mean cloaking is doing it's job very well.

Now I don't know how it is for other people but I kill infiltrators all the time. They look like glass objects that are clear as day and other than being snuck up from behind I never really fail to see them. For me it is like looking at any uncloaked player but with a different appearance.
  10. Crator

I think it's mainly due to the fact that they are carrying sniper rifles. Players were a bit leery when first hearing SOE wanted to give cloakers sniper rifles. The compromise was to not make the sniper completely invisible. That's why they want to bring back the traditional cloaker as a new class so it can have the real cloak ability but without the sniper rifle.
  11. Yeo-Yin

it would be nice to put the sniper for the light infantry (so they can use a lot of spot, very interresting gameplay) and give a better cloak to cloakers + more deadly short range weapons.
  12. JP_Russell

Does this mean the infiltrator would actually lose the cloak ability and have it replaced with some other utility? Or would the infiltrator as a class just be dissolved and have some of his traits go to the new cloaker and others to other classes?
  13. Crator

No, the new cloaker class would be intended to have a true cloak (totally invisible). With smaller weapons and utilities suited for subterfuge. In PS1 the cloaker could do this however they would have to be tactical in movements because enemies close to you can see you a tiny bit when you move.
  14. Phrygen

This is the real issue with cloaking. And even with my settings on low, i still see cloakers fine. Its only useful at medium to long range, or at night.

Cloaking should have more certs. There should be a separate tree for infiltrators to decide between either longer invis time or between better invis quality. Or just make a totally new class.
  15. Krona

It is pretty bad.

I mean I know I'm amazing at seeing cloakers from doing it for like 15 years, but god DAMN is it easy in this game. At the very LEAST make the cloak more effective when they're not moving.
  16. LcdDrm

I like it because you guys think I don't notice you sitting there cloaked, right in front of me. Can't count the times it has happened. Easy kill usually.
  17. Silent Scope

I play infiltrator exclusively and I know they will be getting some love soon in future patches, melee boost, cloaking improvements, utility choices etc the list is not that large but a few tweaks need to be made.

I dont find an issue with my cloak at longer range in a sniper role, it is useless in a base assault.

What I find issue with is upgrading to a weapon like the nyx and equipping it with the 6x scope and still have to 3 shot everything just like the standard VS rifle haha
  18. eatdachicken

Wow people, just stop being bad. Cloaking is fine.
  19. Braaap

Omg I didn't know that. Been playing on low graphic and always get ******* frustrated when someone see me in cloak. Because I sure wouldn't see a cloaked person standing even 2 meters infront of me :D
  20. JP_Russell

Right, but I'm curious what would become of the infiltrator and his abilities/toolset. Are you suggesting he would just stay the same and there would be some amount of crossover between the infiltrator and cloaker? Or would the infiltrator/sniper lose the cloak, with the cloaker getting a better version of it instead? Would the cloaker also take his hacking abilities? Would the cloaker get his detection device (or something like it)? Those both seem like things that make sense as the abilities of whoever has the biggest role of subterfuge. And at that point, what do you do with the sniper? Do you fold sniper rifles into a class like light assault, or do you just totally rework the "sniper" class and replace his abilities and tools to compensate for whatever gets moved to the cloaker?

I'm not expecting you to know all these things or anything, I'm just curious what people's thoughts are on what bringing a cloaker class into the picture would do to the current class composition.